Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on putting down payment on my first AR this weekend!

I was going to build one, but the layaway option and convenience of an off-the-shelf model is better for me.

The shop I like specializes in Stag Arms. I poked around online and found good and bad reviews on their rifles and I would like some more input! I don't need an uber-tacticool tack driver or anything. Just something reasonably accurate and reliable. Don't Stags have a good warranty on them as well?

I am also looking for the best deal on Mags. I want affordable, reliable 30-rounders and would not be opposed to 10-packs or something.

I am definitely on a budget!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the Pmags have any issue double stacking in pouches designed for 2 regular M4 mags? Seem like they are a bit thicker?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Do the Pmags have any issue double stacking in pouches designed for 2 regular M4 mags? Seem like they are a bit thicker?

I can't tell any difference between my Pmags and regular metal M4 mags regarding thinkness. They are tough as hell too! There is a video out there somwhere showing them getting run over by a truck or SUV and still functioning flawlessly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i plan on building a stag ar myself. did a lot of research adn held and played with a lot of ar's at gun shops. was impressed with the m&p 15 and then in research found out it is made by stag. is this true ??? any way was already leaning to stag then heard that and plan on ordering upper next month, can't wait.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
was impressed with the m&p 15 and then in research found out it is made by stag. is this true ???
The earlier versions with simply rebadged Stags. Supposedly they are putting them together in-house now, but probably use mostly CMT/Stag parts.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put a down payment on my first AR on Saturday! ...this is going to be a long 90 days! (Layaway)

I went with a Rock River model, it felt a lot better than the Stags I picked up and of course has a great reputation and a great warranty. It ended up being about $1,050 after taxes, which is around the price I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone for their input! It is great to be part of the AR club! (almost)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
They all have to fit in the same magwell, so the thickness is (has to be) identical. ;)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Stag is GTG.

They won't give you a lot of those "high-end" features like M4 feedramps and such. But they're well-built, reliable rifles.

The 2HT upper with the Samson rail is IMO one of the best values out there for a tactical carbine. Slap it on a home-built lower w/ and M4 stock and you have a fantastic rifle for under a grand.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
I would recommend picking up some 20 rnd mags too. 30rnd mags are cumbersome to use at the range for some people. I only use 20 rounders at my range

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Is there such a thing as 20 round Pmags?

**Nevermind, answered my own question with a handy dandy tool called google.

Since 44mag.com is out of the black 20rd pmags, can I get a good suggestion on another site?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've heard good things about Stag. Stag is the commercial brand of CMT, if anyone is more familiar with CMT than Stag.

That being said, RRA is also a solid rifle. I think you'll be happy with it. What model did you end up getting? 20" rifle, 16" mid-length gas system, or the 16" carbine? HBAR or govt. profile? Chromed lined or no?

Sorry for the interrogation. Just curious.;)

If you're still looking for mags, I'd say PMAGs are a good route to take. That being said, I only own 2 PMAGs, and have about 30 aluminum AR mags. Aluminums will serve you well, and they are 30% cheaper than PMAGs.

The absolute best deal (in my opinion) on aluminum mags is linked to below. Ten teflon coated mil-spec aluminum mags with Magpul Gen III follower upgrades for $100 SHIPPED. That free shipping really makes them a good deal.-

DSG Arms: Grey Teflon coated 30 round anti-tilt AR15 M16 magazine - 10 Pack

DSG is an industry partner over on ar15.com and they have confirmed that these are produced by D&H (formerly Labelle). D&H installs the Gen. III Magpul followers (highly recommend the followers) and the DSG marked baseplates for them, so you don't have to worry about quality control on the upgraded follower install. All factory fresh.:)

I've got a 10 pack of the gray teflons on the way myself, I'll post a review once they arrive...I really have too many AR mags. Gonna have to buy another AR to justify all the mags...:p

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
I put a down payment on my first AR on Saturday! ...this is going to be a long 90 days! (Layaway)

I went with a Rock River model, it felt a lot better than the Stags I picked up and of course has a great reputation and a great warranty. It ended up being about $1,050 after taxes, which is around the price I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone for their input! It is great to be part of the AR club! (almost)

Congrats,

looks like eveyone over looked your post and kept on with their ramblings.
90 days is going to be a killer wait :shock:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts