Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to go black and purchase my first AR; a Doublestar Star 15 HBAR. First impression is that this piece has a great finish and feel for what I paid for. I should be able to get out to a range this weekend for some real testing...

One question however- I purchased a "Umarex" rear flip sight along with it, since it came sightless (flat top)... The website at Buds Gunshop fails to mention anywhere that this sight is for .22 rimfire rifles only.. All the description says is that it would fit M4/M16 rails. Sort of disappointed, and mislead given the fact that I asked numerous salesmen as well and put a special note on my order about it.. The sight mounts and everything, except in order to get a good picture with the front sight properly filling the hole as it should, I have to mount the rear sight at the very front of the picatinny rail. Is this pointless to use on this thing?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Pics Or BS!!!

that is the rule

Congrats!

Yes it is pointless to use the site if you have to mount it all the way to the front. Send it back and get one made for your gun. If you cant send it back then toss it in the parts bin and buy a new one Magpul make a good rear flip up for $60.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I second the Magpul. They are very solid and since they make 'em out of their proprietary polymer they are inexpensive too compared to steel ones. Also, look into the XS Sights "CSAT" rear sight insert. It's just a brilliant idea.

As for Doublestar ARs, good choice man. They've been building a pretty enviable rep for awhile now. Even "Tactical Arms" on the Sportsman Channel did a reliability test and a build of one and it worked great.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Congrats on your first AR...Pics or didn't happen...:)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Congrats on the AR.

Send them back, sell them or toss'em in the parts box.
Get the proper equipment for your rifle.

BUIS? Troy Industries Folding Battle Sights is my choice.
Not a big MagPul fanboi, I do like some of their stuff, but not their BUIS.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Send it back and get the right sight. I hate using iron sights, so all my ARs sport optics of some kind.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats on the AR.

Send them back, sell them or toss'em in the parts box.
Get the proper equipment for your rifle.

BUIS? Troy Industries Folding Battle Sights is my choice.
Not a big MagPul fanboi, I do like some of their stuff, but not their BUIS.
Agree'd.... Troy Industries is where its at with Iron sights !!!! I just bought a set for my RRA build

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Congrats on the doublestar. They're up the road a ways from me. I've spoken with them several times and they've always been alright with me.

Matter of fact, I'm considering ordering a T.M. 22 suppressor and having them handle the transfer.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
congrats

but I must say i have my doubts without pics

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
i wouldnt say its pointless , but you need a real sight designed for the proper platform

A.R.M.S., Inc.[hsh]40L

the link above is my choice and there are a number of other options that are the same or im sure even better

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Send it back and get the right sight. I hate using iron sights, so all my ARs sport optics of some kind.
I thought I'd feel the same way, and topped my first AR, a RRA 5.56 Entry Tactical with a TA-31F ACOG on a QD mount. Really cool optic, and fun to shoot.

But, since my carbine came with a flip-up front and an A.R.M.S. 40L rear BUIS, I felt the least I should do would be to sight it in. I was amazed at how accurate I was out to 100 yards (the limit of my available range) and how much fun shooting the irons was. I find that I now split my time about equally between the irons and the ACOG.

I just completed my first build project, and since it is a dedicated hunting rifle in 6.8 SPC, it will be an optic-only platform.

And don't think this will be your first-and-only AR....there will be more to come!:)

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I didnt put the aimpoint on my ar until I had the irons down

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I vote that pictureless new gun threads should be locked within 12 hours of first post!!!

Congrats again on you new AR 15 I hope you get the sight sorted out

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hah! No pics yet- I havent been home much and not sure how to upload pics from my phone straight to here (which im typing on now). Ill try to throw some up tomorrow... I went with a Magpul rear sight ($60). Still need to get to the range! Such a tease when you get one of these in the midst of a busy weekend!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts