Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I started with:

and here is how it ended up 2 hours later.

Spikes lower
commercial buffer tube kit
magpull ctr stock
cmmg lower parts kit
ergo grip

my upper is a bit of a mystery it only has 1 marking on it a KEYHOLE from the Cerro Forge. I was told it is a colt but I can't find any other markings to confirm it. It is an a4, and it has m4 feed ramps. The barrel is a colt 14.5" 1/7 5.56 chrome lined MP inspected. The barrel has a flash hider permanently attached with a pin and silver solder. I think it is a yankee hill with 4 holes and 4 cutouts, but it is unmarked. It has a Knights Armament m4 RAS quad rail. The front sight post is F stamped. It looks like a colt as far as I can tell though.

The BCG is from FN it is marked MPF with the M underlined.

I also got two pmags.

It was pretty easy to build. My only previous experience was my saiga conversion, but alot was similar, and the trigger group is easier. I guess the take down pins are harder but not that hard. It took alot less time then the saiga. I took it to the range and she shot 100 rounds with no problems.

if any body has any ideas on my mystery upper, and my mystery flash hider.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Flash hider looks to be the Yankee Hill Phantom. Don't know on the upper. Looks good though.:cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
hwo much did it cost ya to build it?Im wanting to do me a ar build or ak build but so far from what i have been lokkin at,if i bought like a bushmaster or some of the others it would be cheaper to buy it assembled,then put what i want on it after that.I dont know what to do anyone got some ood advice on what to do or where to et ood deals on parts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hwo much did it cost ya to build it?Im wanting to do me a ar build or ak build but so far from what i have been lokkin at,if i bought like a bushmaster or some of the others it would be cheaper to buy it assembled,then put what i want on it after that.I dont know what to do anyone got some ood advice on what to do or where to et ood deals on parts.
It really depends what you put on it and how much you want to spend.

I bought my stuff at the gun show.

spikes lower $99 (I went in with three friends to get the price, they were 119 otherwise)

parts kit $60 (cmmg)
ar15 tool $8
commercial buffer tube $35
ctr stock $80
ergo grip $20
ar-vice block $10
(this guy was priced up but he gave me breaks on things because I bought all my lower stuff from him)

colt upper w/knights quad rail $625
FN bcg $150
free matech buis and knights vertical foregrip. (this was cool cause initially he was going to throw in these used and then he ended up giving me new ones.)

In at ~$1085 which is a little bit over what I wanted to spend but thats allright.

you could build your own ar for as low as $600 if you get a 99$ lower and a del-ton rifle kit. But as soon as you start upgrading to milspec like a chrome lined 1/7 barrel, and a full auto bcg, or a rail system you are going to be back around $1000 for your total build. I was looking at spending 1k on a RRA but it had a 1/9 16" barrel. I really wanted the 1/7 in 14.5" and went this route and came out around the same price. I probably have a better BCG as well.

Everybody who has built an AR will tell you to build your own. If you can put together a mr. potato head you can probably build an AR (as long as you get a complete upper). The only tools I used were punches, needle nose pliers, an ar15 tool for the castle nut, a hammer, and a hex wrench. Having a vice grip and the ar 15 vice block help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks good

I just looked at my DPMS M4 upper and it has that keyhole, and no other marks.

EDIT:

there is an "M" stamped on the front of the upper where the barrel and/delta ring/handguard mounts

does yours have the "m"?
No marks there on mine. Just the keyhole. The keyhole is the forging plant marking CERRO FORGE that forged the aluminum upper, that is then milled to spec by the upper manufacturer. alot of manufacturers use CERRO forge like yankee hill, colt, dpms, bushmaster, etc.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/63570-ar-15-upper-markings.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is a pic of a flash hider from Yankee Hill (YHM)

kind of looks like assuming yours has only the two flats
mine is exactly like that, allthough I saw another picture of the yankee hill phantom and on the top it has a diamond shape with YHM in the diamond, mine has no marks.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
mine is exactly like that, allthough I saw another picture of the yankee hill phantom and on the top it has a diamond shape with YHM in the diamond, mine has no marks.
No marks there on mine. Just the keyhole. The keyhole is the forging plant marking CERRO FORGE that forged the aluminum upper, that is then milled to spec by the upper manufacturer. alot of manufacturers use CERRO forge like yankee hill, colt, dpms, bushmaster, etc.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/63570-ar-15-upper-markings.html
well, then i cant help much more....lol

glad to try and be of hgelp....hopefully someone else can add more info

·
Premium Member
127,282 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took some better pictures today

arsenal update

matech

knights grip

spikes

spikes, more ergo

knights

yankee hill

colt 1/7 14.5"

f stamp, nights

FN bcg

m4 cuts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Looks great, congrats on the new build...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts