Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this up... for FREE!! (from my old man)

I don't know much about ARs yet, but I had been planning on building or buying one eventually. I couldn't pass up this deal. I know it's pretty old and it's a Colt, but I don't know much else yet. I just got it home and plan to do some looking around now.

Most of the ammo is pretty old too but I'm guessing it'll still shoot.

Feel free to give any input on it and things that I should plan or look out for. I'm going to start educating myself now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
EXCELLENT deal...I'm jealous. That being said, I'd take it apart, inspect parts, put it together, functions check, and if you don't have broken parts and the functions check works fine...you should be able to give it to me so I can shoot it just fine :)

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Sweet rifle! Dad must LOVE you. :)

That is the version of my first AR also. Colt SP1 model with the thin pencil barrel. I still have mine and it is my go-to-gun for varmits. Have the old Colt 3x20 scope on mine.

Should have the storage in the stock for a cleaning kit. Maybe Dad hid some mad money in there he forgot about. ;)

When I bought mine, early 80's, I picked it up for $425 new. Worth considerably more than that now. Wish I would have bought ten of them. :( :lol:

As long as the ammo was kept dry, it should be fine. Some people say you should only shoot marked .223 ammo in it, and not the 5.56 because of the higher pressure in the 5.56. I have shot both and haven't had any problems, but I don't give it a steady diet of the 5.56. For the best accuracy, I would stick with the 55 grain bullets. That is what the barrel twist was designed for (1/12 twist I believe).

So............go out and put some rounds down range with it. You will absolutely love it!

Great rifle.........Great deal...........and Great Dad!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know it functions well and is not broken or anything. My dad is big into guns and takes meticulous care of all of them and everything related to them.
Thanks for the input. I've just got to find time to get to the range now. I'm glad I waited before buying one. I knew he had this and was planning to hand it down to me, but I didn't think it would be anytime soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just picked this up... for FREE!! (from my old man)

I don't know much about ARs yet, but I had been planning on building or buying one eventually. I couldn't pass up this deal. I know it's pretty old and it's a Colt, but I don't know much else yet. I just got it home and plan to do some looking around now.

Most of the ammo is pretty old too but I'm guessing it'll still shoot.

Feel free to give any input on it and things that I should pu.lan or look out for. I'm going to start educating myself now.
Crp, I will keep this Colt I I was you.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Congrats. If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands. j/k. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so is this model not as "modular" in terms of optics and such? The handle is attached so it looks like optics go on top of that, but I'm guessing it gets a little awkward in terms of functionality if you start stacking stuff up top too high.
I have a few things that I'd like to do with it eventually but I think I'll go shoot it some and have fun as is for a little while.

BTW.. no he doesn't need another son that I'll have to share with! :D

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
You can definitely mount your optics on the carry handle. In fact, some people actually prefer that setup.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
so is this model not as "modular" in terms of optics and such? The handle is attached so it looks like optics go on top of that, but I'm guessing it gets a little awkward in terms of functionality if you start stacking stuff up top too high.
Brother!!! You don't know it, but your dad has a secret love-child... me! (he wouldn't happen to have another AR to give away would he?)

You can get a cantilever mount that attaches to the carry handle and mounts your optics (non-magnified) over the handguard and co-witnesses it with your iron sights.

You can modify it with quad rails, grips, stocks, etc., however you see fit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks. I'll have to look into that. I'm not that interested in magnified optics for this one so I guess that's ok. I've got other rifles for that duty. Thanks for all the input.

I'm almost worried about the next time I visit my folks. I think I may get put to work chopping wood or repainted their house or something now.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
ha nice billy mays avatar.

i will use billys voice: NICE AR 15, TO BAD ITS OLD, I WILL TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS FOR $200.:lol:

NICE DAD, DID HE BUY SOMETHING SUPER FANCY, OR IS HE JUST GETING OLD, MY OLD MAN DOESNT HAVE ANY AR15S LAYING AROUND FOR FREE UNFORTUNATELY.:mad:

IF IT GETS DIRTY OXYCLEAN IT!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok... I have a question. I've been searching and can't find the answer that makes me feel all cozy. I got this from the article on ar15.com where it mentions that some .223 marked rifles are 5.56 actually or something along those lines:

"Military M16s and AR15s from Colt, Bushmaster, FN, DPMS, and some others, have the M16-spec chamber and should have no trouble firing hot 5.56 ammunition"
and
"Typical Colt Mil-Spec-type markings: C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 "

Ok.. mine is a colt. The barrel has a marking near the front sight that says C MP chrome bore. I don't see any other markings other than those on the lower which can be seen on pg1.

My pops gave me some of the old 5.56 ammo but now I'm wondering if it can be put through it. If anyone can direct me to the info or anything I'd appreciate it.

I'm a newb.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Yes you can put 5.56 rounds and 223 rounds through it. If it was a 223 barrel then you couldnt put 5.56 rounds. I think your pops know's whats what.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
so if one of those is in good condition how much are those worth now?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know.. but it's only been fired about 20-30 times according to him so I'm pretty happy with it. I'll probably increase that number.

thanks VR4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts