Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
I purchased my new "Precious" prior to the last election, and finally got her out to the range on Friday. I didn't have alot of time to devote, but I did learn that I DO need some more serious range time. Up until now, I have been a confirmed/rabid COLT 1911 shooter. I have a steel Govt. and a bitone CCO. I shoot both very well, in fact, the CCO is blindingly accurate. So, needless to say... I was a tad disappointed with my outing.

I was shooting at both police silouette and 25' rapid fire circular targets. With my Colts, I can consistently put all my rounds into the 10 ring every time, and even the head portion if I feel like doing a Mogadishu (sp?) drill. With my XD45 tactical (bitone with thumb safety), I was all over the place! I could only put about 25% or less into the 10 ring.:confused: I figure it was due to not being "broken in" yet, and not 100% used to the slightly fatter grip. There was no pattern to my spread, so it didn't appear to be a flinching or trigger finger placement issue. I am looking forward to more and extended range time to diagnose and correct my issues.

In the meantime, since my camera is on the fritz, can someone (i.e. LutheranPriest or Verk or others) post up pics of their same models? I do plan on eventually adding a Wolff 20# spring on the advice of LP to see if that will help some.

Thanks, Mongo

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Congrats mongo! I flip back and forth between the XD and 1911s and one of the things I found is that I have to use a bit more finger on the XD to keep from pulling left and low. In one of my classes where I was using my XD two different instructors told me that it was very common when 1911 shooters move to Glocks and XDs. I also had to tighten my grip to stay consistent and to limit my flyers. A trigger job gave me the short reset I was used to on my 1911s and that helped a lot as well.

Just some thoughts. Happy shooting!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mongo,
I found after shooting my tactical with thumb safety for about 2000 rounds that I can manage a tight grouping out to 15 yards. at 25 yards not as tight of grouping but pretty consistent. I didn't have the experience of shooting a 1911 so at first I was always shooting low and to the left. I did add a Don's Guide Rod to add some weight to the front. I like how it shoots and wish you the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just shot mine today also i have the 4'' service my shooting was just like yours all over the place,i even rested my hands on a table and still had trouble shooting a paper plate at 10yds the last gun i had out was the 40cal stoeger and had no problem putting all shots on the plate at same distance i sure hope it was me and not the xd put 200 rounds thru it today maybe next weekend i can run a few more boxes thru it to see if its me or the gun

·
Registered
4 Posts
couldnt wait it kept eating at me took the xd back out this afternoon with the stoeger 40 and my p 11 keltec 9mm whice is the worst shooting handgun i have ever shot i hate to say it but the p11 was more on target then my xd45 i dont know what is going on but at 10 yardsi can hardly hit the paper plate,1 out of 18 with the xd, 14 out of 18 with the p11, and 18 out of 18 with the stoeger,i also own 4 1911s that i can keep in a 4 inch group at same distance :-?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good topic. For that last 4 months I have only been shooting my custom Colt 1911 and an EAA Witness Elite Match. I just bought an XD tactical to accompany my XD service and I shot the tactical for the first time yesterday. The whole time I was shooting it, I kept thinking, man this trigger sucks, this thing sucks, this trigger really sucks! When I was done, I realized that I need to get back into shooting my XD's more. You really can't compare a 1911 trigger to an XD/Glock/M&P trigger for they are completely different animals.
It all comes down to practice. I plan to make it a habit to bring at least one XD with me when I go shoot. That way I wont get spoiled with the 1911 trigger.
One thing I have found when shooting XD's, I had a tendency to shoot to the right, a fellow XD shooter gave me the tip of putting more finger on the trigger, hold it high up against the bottom of the frame, and pull straight back. It helps me center my shots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts