Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always convinced myself that there was no reason for me to ever purchase a 1911. It's an outdated design, it's a outdated caliber, and there's no reason to ever own a full size single stack gun. Well iv been wanting a new toy and couldn't shake the feeling of just how can I consider my self a true American and not own a 1911. Well I did it and purchased my first 1911, a Citadel 1911 ( made in the Philippines) a non American 1911 😆.

So I went to Turner's knowing I was gonna purchase a 1911. I originally went there with the idea of purchasing a RIA fs. They didn't have any on display. So I handled a 1000 plus dollar 1911 don't recall of make or model, then I handled the Citadel. I couldn't feel a $500 difference between the 2 so I went with the Citadel. After I run a few hundred rounds thru her il be upgrading her to my taste.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey, good for u Mike! Enjoy!

Just sold of a few 1911s because I just didn’t shoot them much compared to my double stack XD and XDM.

But, just couldn’t let my last one go. Why, because everyone NEEDS a government model 1911…..duh.😅😉

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, good for u Mike! Enjoy!

Just sold of a few 1911s because I just didn’t shoot them much compared to my double stack XD and XDM.

But, just couldn’t let my last one go. Why, because everyone NEEDS a government model 1911…..duh.😅😉
If I had the option of buying the newer offerings from Springfield there's no way in hell I would have even considered a 1911but here in california we are limited to the doj handgun roster.
My first 1911, SA TRP OPERATOR, has morphed in 9 1911/2011.

Watch them, they are like rabbits.
If I find myself falling in love with the platform il definitely be buying a compact aswell

·
Administrator
16,925 Posts
So... Kinda weird... The design is not outdated. It has many features that were ahead of its time, that many firearms have today... Not to mention every single auto on the market is based on the design.

And it's not an outdated caliber... It has reigned Supreme for damn near 100 years to the point than now all modern defensive caliber ammo can finally claim they are "equal". They are equal... But that has only been last 20 years with better tech.

As far as the particulars... Grip is phenomenal for just about everyone, shoots like a pussycat, and still today has the best trigger of any gun, period. So ya... Enjoy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So... Kinda weird... The design is not outdated. It has many features that were ahead of its time, that many firearms have today... Not to mention every single auto on the market is based on the design.

And it's not an outdated caliber... It has reigned Supreme for damn near 100 years to the point than now all modern defensive caliber ammo can finally claim they are "equal". They are equal... But that has only been last 20 years with better tech.

As far as the particulars... Grip is phenomenal for just about everyone, shoots like a pussycat, and still today has the best trigger of any gun, period. So ya... Enjoy.
Thanks that only made me feel better about my purchase and at the same time makes me regret not buying an American made 1911. Best trigger when it comes to auto's yes. I look forward to falling in love with it.

·
Administrator
16,925 Posts
Obviously there are other features that can be more desirable. Doesn't mean it the "best" for everyone foe everything... but there's a reason they are still widely sold... And it isn't because of CA.

I will stand by it though... There is no single action trigger of any kind BETTER than a 1911. They can only equal.... A 110 year old trigger design.

But yes, enjoy, they are such a pleasure to shoot. And then.... Go get a RI double stack to go with it and the commander..

Reactions: Old marine

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Obviously there are other features that can be more desirable. Doesn't mean it the "best" for everyone foe everything... but there's a reason they are still widely sold... And it isn't because of CA.

I will stand by it though... There is no single action trigger of any kind BETTER than a 1911. They can only equal.... A 110 year old trigger design.

But yes, enjoy, they are such a pleasure to shoot. And then.... Go get a RI double stack to go with it and the commander..
So sounds like you have plenty of experience with these 110 year old rock chuckers. I'm planning on running 500 rounds thru her as soon as I get her. Just to make sure she's a runner. After that I plan on a complete tear down to do some polishing. I saved $125 buying the citadel over the RIA, so the way I see it I get to spend that money on upgrades or mags. Any recommendations?

·
Administrator
16,925 Posts
So sounds like you have plenty of experience with these 110 year old rock chuckers. I'm planning on running 500 rounds thru her as soon as I get her. Just to make sure she's a runner. After that I plan on a complete tear down to do some polishing. I saved $125 buying the citadel over the RIA, so the way I see it I get to spend that money on upgrades or mags. Any recommendations?
There are others more knowledgeable... But HUGE knowledge base. I never wait, I'll do my trigger before I ever hit range. Ton of fluff n buff videos out there. Get it polished and smooth, get it broke in. Ton of mods you can do, parts are everywhere. Plenty to play with. Fun stuff

·
Registered
792 Posts

But don't forget....45acp defensive ammo has also been improved. Eo maybe not so equal.

Padraig

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But don't forget....45acp defensive ammo has also been improved. Eo maybe not so equal.

Padraig
I still have some Hornady 200gr hp xtp projectiles that il be loading up. I had a s&w 625 45acp revolver that i use to load some super hot loads for crikey I still have a box of 50. No way I will run those thru any other gun.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So excited I couldn't contain myself.

Had a amazon credit so $76 total and I have a friend that said he has a box full of goodies for me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is a lot of bad information about improving the 1911 floating around the web, beware. Crap like polishing the ramp without a clue. Done right it won't hurt but it is easy to bugger it up without knowing it and often not necessary. Clipping springs. Grinding or polishing compound on the rails is a mistake 99.9% of the time. There are many recommendations to use a 0.020 shim to set the relief cut on a 1911 sear. BAD advice. And more, Bubba is a resourceful fella.

NickTaylor00 has a series of 1911 Pistol Tune Up videos that are reliable and will help your 1911 run better. His methods made a real improvement on my 1911.

One of his videos, there are several.

·
Registered
792 Posts
As we are discussing triggers and mods, has anyone had any experience with Nighthawk Custom's drop in trigger. Interesting concept and product.

Padraig

1 - 20 of 42 Posts