Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You’re not going to make a functioning .45acp auto pistol that will fit in the same envelope as a .380. Just not gonna happen.

The closest thing is the Doubletap .45, which is a two-shot, derringer-type pistol.

So two shots of .45, with severely degraded velocity that may very well retard penetration even with ball ammunition, or 6-7 shots of .380FMJ that will penetrate deeply enough to be effective?

I think I’d lean towards the .380, m'self.
Fair enough. That's why I asked for everyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
I will respectfully disagree. Let's say that you have two "mouse" guns, a .45 and a .380. Understand that you'll get limited velocity from a barrel that short in either caliber. And a situation where such a tiny gun is appropriate is usually in a non-permissive environment where you absolutely can't afford to be caught carrying. Conversely, if it's no big deal to be caught, then why not carry a full-size 1911?

So in a situation that requires pretty deep concealment (thus the "pocket pistol" reference in the thread title), would you prefer .45 or .380? I'll take the .45 ten times out of ten.
Factor in quantity of ammo and time to second shot and the ability to hit your target griping a .45 with 2 fingers. I’ll take a higher cap and controllable 380 or 9 any time.

Not trying to be a turd but a tiny .45 like you’re looking for sounds like a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
I will respectfully disagree. Let's say that you have two "mouse" guns, a .45 and a .380. Understand that you'll get limited velocity from a barrel that short in either caliber. And a situation where such a tiny gun is appropriate is usually in a non-permissive environment where you absolutely can't afford to be caught carrying. Conversely, if it's no big deal to be caught, then why not carry a full-size 1911?

So in a situation that requires pretty deep concealment (thus the "pocket pistol" reference in the thread title), would you prefer .45 or .380? I'll take the .45 ten times out of ten.
So what are you talking about... Absolutely can't afford to be carrying... That would only be illegal carry... Cause there is no legal carry scenario where I absolutely can't carry more than a mouse gun.

Yes people like XDs. When they were announced, I wanted to pre-order... Yet I've never shot one. Yes for some weird reason some like 40 S&W in pocket pistols. Modern 9mm ammo is so good now, anything under sub compact makes no sense bigger than 9mm. Small autos with big bullets are problematic. Big bullets need stiff springs in pocket pistols. Controllability, usability, capacity... All are a problem in tiny autos with big bullets.

Any pocket j-frame in 38+p is a very solid choice, even 357 if you don't mind flash. Much more reliable, workable ballistics, small.

Or... Just get any 9mm pocket pistol of your choice... PM9, 290... A tad bigger, XDs 9, 365, shield... Very good choices, very thin small, very uncompromised capacity, controllable, usable...

Guns are guns. Carry or don't. Pocket pistol or full size. Tons of good choices. You don't have to go out of your way to make a mouse gun even more compromised than they already are. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
21,651 Posts
If my clothes do not allow me to carry my Steyr S9, then I go for my NAA 22Mag in the pocket. It is so small you can't tell what I have even when sitting down and its resting on top of my thigh. I try to carry my S9 as much as possible due to having 10 rounds and very manageable recoil. That gives me the best chance to win but any gun is better than no gun, hence my NAA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was once a believer in the XDs 45 3.3 then the 4.0 model with an IWB Galco, changed to the XDm 3.8 9mm with 13 rnd mag and a spare with another Galco IWB. After time, a recent relocation to Communist CA and really noticing law enforcement looking more at waistbands here I have now changed to a 911 380 with a Crossbreed IWB. I have decided that quality is better than quantity in this case or deep but accessible concealment beats harassment by a rookie cop and maintaining situational awareness is the key to success along with consistent practice intervals. My wife and I practice regularly here at the range and go to NV for barricade practice, we both feel it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have good accuracy with the XDS45, but I think a inch off each way is a real problem in control ability. I like the pocket pistol Idea, but XDS wise I use one in 40. I do consider myself a okay shot, but you might need a few for a second or third target. I just don't know what life brings.

I would feel armed with my 911 380.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Recently purchased an XDS mod 2 in 45 acp. Really liking this pistol. I shoot it well. It’s lightweight and carry it quite often. However, I would not want a 45 smaller than the xds. I live in a free state, I carry it iwb and also owb, just depends on what I’m doing but could care less if someone sees it. I don’t feel under gunned with 7 shots and a back up 5 shot mag. It has excellent sights and goes bang every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Yes for some weird reason some like 40 S&W in pocket pistols... Small autos with big bullets are problematic. Big bullets need stiff springs in pocket pistols. Controllability, usability, capacity... All are a problem in tiny autos with big bullets.
I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "pocket" pistol, but my PPS .40 is for sure in the subcompact segment. Controllability and reliability are non-issues. 6, 7, and 8 rd single-stack mags (one less than the 9mm models) so capacity is not overly compromised... I don't think I'm at a verifiable disadvantage when concealment is key and the bigger P99c or P30sk (EDC candidates, both 9mm) get left at home beyond the obvious capacity disparity between single and double stack magazines. I also had a PPS M2 in 9mm... but it got traded for a shotgun a few mos ago.

That's strictly my own opinion based on my own experience, YMMV.

Always compromises with any handgun.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have pocket carried a Taurus C2C in 40, a XD40 SC Mod 3, XDS40 nd a G-33 in 357Sig. lots of power guns out there. Shorter barrels do give less Oomph, but the same it true acroos the caliber spectrum.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
At the same time, the average non-LE defensive shooting is 1.7(iirc...it was under 2) rounds fired. That’s not even hits...just rounds fired.

I carry 5 shots all the time. Not worried about being undergunned in the slightest.

And remember, it doesn’t matter if your assailant is alive...just that they stop; a hit in the arm, or a non-physically debilitating torso shot that makes your attacker cease whatever he was doing that made it necessary to shoot him is a perfectly acceptable outcome. So while one should strive to put those rounds in the “A” zone...hits, ANY hits, count.
Same camp, five rounds of 357 or 38 +p in a snubbie. Almost never have a reload on me. Can carry in any season. Though i’ve been carrying the 43+ i got my gf alot lately. And if i want 5 big shots theres always the s&w mod 69.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "pocket" pistol, but my PPS .40 is for sure in the subcompact segment. Controllability and reliability are non-issues. 6, 7, and 8 rd single-stack mags (one less than the 9mm models) so capacity is not overly compromised... I don't think I'm at a verifiable disadvantage when concealment is key and the bigger P99c or P30sk (EDC candidates, both 9mm) get left at home beyond the obvious capacity disparity between single and double stack magazines. I also had a PPS M2 in 9mm... but it got traded for a shotgun a few mos ago.

That's strictly my own opinion based on my own experience, YMMV.

Always compromises with any handgun.
I had a P2Ksk in 40. Arguably one of the best shooting 40s. Shooting it side by side with my friends full size XD40, and even a P30 in 40... The P2K was noticeably better. Drastically to the XD40. It was special... Until I shot a 9mm side by side. That was a mistake. The P2Ksk 40 moved on... It's not that it's "horrible", or even bad. Perfectly usable round, perfectly reasonable... But it is noticeably different from 9 or 45. Just me personally, the juice is not worth the squeeze. I used to be firm believer in 40 being the best compromise... Fact is, there is a place for 9 and 45, and the one in the middle... Literally the lost middle child that just isn't that special in any regard. It's a bullet. Meh...

Now that's just me. I'm not hater or 40, not at all. I just find nothing to be a fan of. Many disagree with me. But when it comes to anything sub compact... 9 is king. At least that's my opinion. And in that role... The fire power one can carry, in a small sub compact, or even pocket pistol.... With modern 9 ammo, with great capacity, there is just really no point of anything else. Again, that's just me...

·
Registered
643 Posts
I do like the changes the Mod 2 XDS brought forward, grip feels better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Working at an office carrying a concealed firearm in my pocket was the way I always wanted to go. I borrowed many different types of guns from friends and try them and most of the time was noticed carrying by my employees. The one I carried the most that was not noticed was my Kel Tex P-11. Size, capacity and the fact that it was a 9mm in a .380 sized package was great. Then Kel Tec came out with the PF9 that was a bit smaller with a few less rounds, but very flat. I have carried it now for over 10 years in a Galco pocket holster and have never been made carrying it. I now have over 1500 rounds through the gun and have never had any kind of malfunction. I recently decided to upgrade it with trigger springs, recoil springs and a new flat trigger and WOW what a difference that has made to the great little gun. I own high end guns like a couple of Wilson Combat 1911’s and I am a gunsmith as well, so I know gun quality. The Kel Tec products are extremely well built.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts