• Wait for the XD-M in .45

• Give 1911s another shot

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been flip-flopping for quite some time over my next handgun purchase. It has been a long time since I bought one and here are my reasons...

I carry my XD40 Service now. I do not have a hard time concealing it due to the Supertuck and a good belt. I love the simple function of the gun and the way it just always works. They are cheap and easy to acquire. The introduction of the XD-M gets rid of the one single thing I do not like about the XDs, the blocky sight picture (even that is a very minor issue with me). With it coming out in 45 soon, that could be very cool.

But, I have a huge passion for the 1911. Nothing else feels as good to me. I am more accurate with a 1911 than I am with even my Canyon Creek XD45 Tac. It isn't just the trigger, evidently.

My Kimber Warrior is ultra nice... very nice fit and finish, smooth cycle, great trigger (to me) and I am more accurate with it than any gun I have ever fired, but it has reliability issues. This has made me gun-shy about buying another 1911, though I would really love to have one.

I have wanted a Sig for about 15 years. I have a Ruger P94 with a DA/SA and I do not like that system. I prefer every shot to be the same. My next gun will be a primary carry piece and the "just cock the hammer first" answer doesn't cut the mustard. So that leaves either the DAK or the SAO. I don't like that the SAO doesn't have the grip safety of a 1911.

In the past few weeks I have been thinking this:
"I have read about many people giving up on the 1911 and moving to the Sig P220. They are very happy with their decision and love the accuracy of the gun (recent reliability issues notwithstanding). They seem to feel that this is the "answer" to their 1911 troubles. Maybe I should just get one of those and put the 1911 behind me." The 220 Carry has really struck my fancy lately. I held one at the gunshow and loved it.

Then last night I started looking at 1911s again. I tried on my belt and MTAC with my 1911 to remind myself how it felt to carry the big steel beast. It felt great and concealed really well, better than my XD. So, as I went to bed last night, I sat there thinking the following:
"I sure love 1911s. I should get a Loaded and give the 1911 one last chance to work for me. Or maybe the TRP that I have loved since I first saw it. Then again, the Loaded is a better bang for the buck." I fell asleep thinking "1911 it is!!!!!"

So then when I woke up this morning, I grabbed my XD40 from the nighstand to put it away in the safe and I thought, "Now see... it's just right. It just does the job, period. I should just get an XD-M and forget all the 1911 junk."

Man I am sooooo confused...

Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Get the Sig!

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
It's really hard for us die hard 1911 guys to get used to the HEAVY and LONG DA pull of a Sig. don't get me wrong, I love the Sig and own a few, but the trigger is less than desireable. I even replace the mainsprings for lighter ones, of course it's still no 1911 trigger, or even an XD trigger for that matter.

I vote XD M (i can't decide to get the 20 round 9mm or wait for the .45 either), or try another 1911. Remember they need a break in period, a good quality magazine, and sometimes particular ammo to function perfectly. That being said, my Kimber Pro Carry has been my IDPA competition pistol for nearly 3 years now and have had only one FTF which is easy fixed if you practice your failure drills (and can happen with any firearm)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My vote goes for the Sig. You didn't state which particular P220 Carry you were looking at, but the P220 Carry Elite is the specific model I would recommend.

Show Product Details

Of all the Sigs I have fired over the years, the P220 Carry Elite is second only to the P220 Super Match and it is a VERY close second. The Carry Elite comes with SigLite Night sights, custom Rosewood grips, a high beavertail grip and, most importantly, the new Sig SRT (short reset trigger) which is phenomenal.

As for the XDm in .45ACP, I would stick with the old addage that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Who knows when the .45ACP XDm might be available if it is even in the works. I have not seen anything official on the .45ACP variant at this point although I will be at SHOT in mid-January and if there hasn't been an announcement by then, trust me when I tell you that I will get to the SA booths and I will see what I can find out. I am praying that they have a sample for release at SHOT, but I am not holding my breath!!! That all said, I just wouldn't hold out for a pistol that you may not be able to get ever, or at least in the next several months.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love the 1911 platform - it's what I learned on and it was my favorite for a long time. As you said, nothing is more accurate and quick into the game than a 1911. I even had great luck with most of my 1911's for reliability.

The XD's are great guns too. Simple, reliable, inexpensive, feel great in the hand. I carried those for a couple years with only a couple complaints, mostly the sharp edges of the triggers and that spongy trigger pull. But all in all great guns for sure. I'm sure the M will be great too.

Then there is the Sig. Comfortable beyond belief, accuracy and reliability to die for, and just a classic, great looking, well made, beautiful gun. I own and carry exclusively the Sig flagship, the P226. I personally love the DA/SA action and had no problem getting used to it. The DAO, know as the DAK, are great too. Very smooth and the same trigger pull every time. The P220 is a great gun. If I could still shoot the .45 comfortably I would no doubt own and carry one of those. But my elbow is shot (no pun intended) so it's 9mm and the P226 for me. I was fortunate enough to find one of the original NSW Navy models unfired. I also own an old West German stamped slide P226 which is also phenominal.

It's a tough call. Finding a 1911 that runs right for you can be hit or miss. I had two Kimbers that were great. Most of my Colts were just okay. The one high end one I had, an Ed Brown Kobra Carry, was a dog. Lot's of issues and too much attitude from the company for me to stick with it. The XD you know will serve you well. But the P220 is a joy to shoot. Find someone with one and give it a try. You won't be sorry.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

M.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finding a 1911 that runs right for you can be hit or miss.
This is what I am most concerned about. I have already had the Kimber disappointment. If I bought another 1911 and it failed, I would be absolutely crushed because I would have bought it on faith and when that goes... man, I just don't want to feel the disappointment again of buying a $1200 paperweight.

Just don't want to go through it...

I currently have $2020 from gifts that I got in December for getting my M.S. I have held onto it because I can't make this decision. Man I would feel like a fool if I got another dog.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You have the XD. You've owned the 1911's. Find a nice, used, stamped slide Sig P220. Don't be put off by the the DA/SA trigger. It's not as bad as you think. I came to love the idea - long DA pull on shot one for comfortable, safe carry and the SA after that. It's not that bad. There's one for sale over on Sig Forum right now for about $600 in primo condition. The older stamped slide models are very reliable and shoot well. You can always sell it if you don't like it and I think you can also have them coverted over to DAK triggers, although I'm not positive on the older West German models.

What size was the Kimber 1911 you had problems with? I had two Kimbers. A Pro Tactical which was an outstanding gun. After a couple thousand rounds I had an MIM mag catch failure which led to the purchase of the Ed Brown. I also had a full-size, pre-Series II Kimber Gold Combat that was just the best 1911 I'd ever owned. Never a failure of any kind, accurate beyond my abilities, tight slide that racked like it ran on ball bearings, and a great trigger. I bought it used for $800 and sold it for a grand 5 years and thousands of rounds later.

I understand your hesitation about finding a good 1911 but if you buy used and look for good deals, you can almost always get your money back. The 1911 is an easy gun to work on, no shortage of aftermarket parts, and just a great gun to shoot. It really comes down to what you want most, and what you want the gun for. Since you've got an XD, know the 1911 and have wanted to try the Sig for 15 years you owe it yourself to try one of those. I ignored the Sig for probably 25 years because I didn't think I'd like the DA/SA trigger and as a lefty I didn't like the fact that the hammer drop was on the left side of the gun. As it turned out, neither one matters. I wasted 25 years of not owning this great platform!

You've got the cash. Try the Sig. If you don't like it, sell it. With the money you have you can buy all three, a used Sig, a used 1911 and a new XD, and still have money for ammo!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think I just got your meaning on the 1911 and the money and the dissappointment. Are you thinking of buying a higher-end 1911 for big money? Don't! I made that mistake. And while my experience with my Ed Brown was definitly the exception, it was still a bitter pill and a blow to my 1911 love affair. More money does not necessarily buy a better 1911.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I just got your meaning on the 1911 and the money and the dissappointment. Are you thinking of buying a higher-end 1911 for big money? Don't! I made that mistake. And while my experience with my Ed Brown was definitly the exception, it was still a bitter pill and a blow to my 1911 love affair. More money does not necessarily buy a better 1911.
No, I could never put big money on a 1911 without having at least one more prove itself to me. I just don't have the confidence in it. I am not a rich man and the $1200 wasted on the Kimber is still painful. I need to find the time to get it back to Kimber and have them fix it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, the poll is roughly 50% XD-M, 25-25 on the other two... then again this is an XD board lol

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
crap... i knew it!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
So I have been flip-flopping for quite some time over my next handgun purchase. It has been a long time since I bought one and here are my reasons...

I carry my XD40 Service now. I do not have a hard time concealing it due to the Supertuck and a good belt. I love the simple function of the gun and the way it just always works. They are cheap and easy to acquire. The introduction of the XD-M gets rid of the one single thing I do not like about the XDs, the blocky sight picture (even that is a very minor issue with me). With it coming out in 45 soon, that could be very cool.

But, I have a huge passion for the 1911. Nothing else feels as good to me. I am more accurate with a 1911 than I am with even my Canyon Creek XD45 Tac. It isn't just the trigger, evidently.

My Kimber Warrior is ultra nice... very nice fit and finish, smooth cycle, great trigger (to me) and I am more accurate with it than any gun I have ever fired, but it has reliability issues. This has made me gun-shy about buying another 1911, though I would really love to have one.

I have wanted a Sig for about 15 years. I have a Ruger P94 with a DA/SA and I do not like that system. I prefer every shot to be the same. My next gun will be a primary carry piece and the "just cock the hammer first" answer doesn't cut the mustard. So that leaves either the DAK or the SAO. I don't like that the SAO doesn't have the grip safety of a 1911.

In the past few weeks I have been thinking this:
"I have read about many people giving up on the 1911 and moving to the Sig P220. They are very happy with their decision and love the accuracy of the gun (recent reliability issues notwithstanding). They seem to feel that this is the "answer" to their 1911 troubles. Maybe I should just get one of those and put the 1911 behind me." The 220 Carry has really struck my fancy lately. I held one at the gunshow and loved it.

Then last night I started looking at 1911s again. I tried on my belt and MTAC with my 1911 to remind myself how it felt to carry the big steel beast. It felt great and concealed really well, better than my XD. So, as I went to bed last night, I sat there thinking the following:
"I sure love 1911s. I should get a Loaded and give the 1911 one last chance to work for me. Or maybe the TRP that I have loved since I first saw it. Then again, the Loaded is a better bang for the buck." I fell asleep thinking "1911 it is!!!!!"

So then when I woke up this morning, I grabbed my XD40 from the nighstand to put it away in the safe and I thought, "Now see... it's just right. It just does the job, period. I should just get an XD-M and forget all the 1911 junk."

Man I am sooooo confused...

Recommendations?
Before you give up on the Kimber did you ever send it back to be looked at by their armorers?????

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Man, that's a tough one! Though I've never owned a 1911 I've always had a soft spot for them, and any time I get a chance to shoot one is always great! I imagine someday I'll own a few and maybe carry one (big fan of the commander style.) The P220 is just a [email protected]$$ gun too, though! Tough call! I didn't know they were coming out with an XDm .45, but I suppose it makes sense. That would be great too. However, what's wrong with the .45 Service? Nothing I say. I carry mine daily, and the comfort of 14 GDHP's is awesome, and you already know how well the Supertuck carries the XD Service. Of the choices you listed, I chose the Sig (almost voted 1911.) Good luck and you'd better post pics when you get it!

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
I have both the 1911 and Sig 220, but I shoot the 1911 more.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
now i'm thinking about a Lightweight Bitone Loaded... ;)

ooooh, the poll is very tight these days...

no, big, i still have not gotten it back to Kimber for them to look at it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts