Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a springer 1911 GI no frills, blk or ss - no matter. Very few to be found in my area and $600 + seems to be the only game in town OR do I go with an RIA 1911 OR just screw it -and go for the XD45. :confused:
Already own an XD40 T (love it).

Am I in the right forum for this question?;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'd go for a 1911. Everyone needs to have at least 1. If you can I'd go with SA because they'll take care of you if anything happens but I hear a lot of good things about RIA 1911's

·
Registered
178 Posts
I myself am in the same situation. I have done a crap load of reading on the RIA 1911's.

Here's what I've learned so far.

1.) They are not designed to compete with SA, Kimber etc..., they simply offer the most 1911 for the money.
2.) People who own them absolutely love them, usually modify them, and rarely own just one.
3.) Their customer service is outstanding. If something breaks just send it in and they send it back better than new.
4.) This forum has a section just for RIA/Armsco The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site and their reps post there constantly.
5.) From what I can tell by reading that forum, the problems people generally seem to revolve mostly around the recoil spring.
6.) It seem to be a good starting point in the world of 1911's
7.) I will own a compact-tactical as soon as I can find one locally.(probably at the gun show this weekend):)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I want a springer 1911 GI no frills, blk or ss - no matter. Very few to be found in my area and $600 + seems to be the only game in town OR do I go with an RIA 1911 OR just screw it -and go for the XD45. :confused:
Already own an XD40 T (love it).

Am I in the right forum for this question?;)
yes this is the right forum:)

i say get which ever one you want/can.
you cant go wrong with either.

if you can get the RIA, you can spend the money you save and either buy some ammo, and get a couple of new mags for the gun (or both if the price is right).
each gun has basically the same base make on parts (MIM).
and RIA's customer service is awesome.

cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd go for a 1911. Everyone needs to have at least 1.
My good buddy said the exact same thing (of course he's got an SA) :-D
I'm going to go check out the RIA 1911 tomorrow.
Thanks all! I knew I could get a good biased opinion in this forum :lol:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
My good buddy said the exact same thing (of course he's got an SA) :-D
I'm going to go check out the RIA 1911 tomorrow.
Thanks all! I knew I could get a good biased opinion in this forum :lol:
biased towards 1911.. definitely.
biased towards brands.. sometimes;)

cheers

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
RIA are actually true GI 1911, they are built from the tooling used during WWII

I helped a buddy of mine parkerize his RIA 1911 Government model and its rock solid! I think he had a stainless barrel but it just made it look even more impressive

1911 .45 ACP Rock Island Handgun
1911 45 ACP Handgun Rock Island
Price: $349.99

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would say get the XD and wait for a 1911 that is a little nicer in fit and finish. Even my XDs are nicer fit and finish than my Rock.

Here is the order I did it and my experience... for what it's worth:

XD40 Service
Armscor 1911 (broke while firing, they replaced that with a new RIA that was rusting, they replaced that with a new RIA)...
RIA Tactical
XD45 Tactical
Kimber Warrior

You already know the XDs are awesome, so no need to go on about that. I got the Armscor (and then RIA) and fell in love with 1911s. Then later I got the Kimber and fell out of the love with the fit and finish of the Rock. Yes it goes bang every time I shoot it and if that is all you care about, cool. For me, I like to spend time cleaning my guns, handling them, even just looking at them... cause I love guns. I think fit and finish and a nice smooth slide action make a weapon more enjoyable for me. Now, if reliability is your ONLY concern, well, then get whichever you like.

But, every time I get that Rock out to look at, it disappoints me. The finish is mediocre at best, the slide action is rough (though pretty tight for a cheap gun), the trigger is just meh and the recoil spring makes an odd sound that it shouldn't when hand cycling...

Yes it goes bang... that is all it does for me. I love 1911s!!!!!!

Let me say that again, I love 1911s!!!!!!

But I like my XDs a hell of a lot more than my RIA.

Here's the real issue... If I had it to do over again, what would I buy?

My list would look like this if I could go back in time:

XD40
Springfield Loaded (yes I would spend a few hundred more for it)
XD45
XD
XD
XD
XD
XD..... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I have been right where you are... hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
William- thanks for adding to the confusion:confused::lol:
Good stuff :)
Well at least I know we all love our XD's too.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
But, every time I get that Rock out to look at, it disappoints me. The finish is mediocre at best, the slide action is rough (though pretty tight for a cheap gun), the trigger is just meh and the recoil spring makes an odd sound that it shouldn't when hand cycling...
those dont sound like huge hurdles to overcome.
slap some duracoat on it (if you dont carry it, or holster it, it should last), or parker it?

whats wrong with the trigger feel? you could change out the sear spring, and change up the feel of the pull, unless its the trigger itself you dont like in which case a Videki or Greider triggers are like $20something bucks.

what kind of sound is the recoil spring making? is this the stock spring? GI guide plug or FLGR?

cheers

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I think WW is right on target. RIAs are not bad guns, but I too would spend a little more and get the SA GI (as a matter of fact, I did; but only after I had my XD45 Service).

I too am bit by the 1911 bug, and as I stated in a few other posts, I should be adding a black stainless Loaded Target to the collection in a few hours.

Rock Islands are good deals for the price; but you are getting what you pay for. If money is limited, and it comes down to buying a Rock Island or having nothing at all; then by all means get one. But if you can afford to go a little higher, move up to a Springfield. And if you can afford to go up a lot more, then there are many nice 1911s out there that you can easily be happy with.

Best of luck to you, but no matter what you decide, go get yourself a 1911! You'll be glad you did!

Cheers! M2

p.s. I just went back and re-read the original post. If you are looking for a concealed carry gun, then I would strongly recommend the XD45. If you are just looking for a range gun, then find yourself a 1911. But if it is the former, you will want the lighter, higher capacity (13+1 vs 7+1) and higher reliability of the XD!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did my usual Sat am stuff and then thought I woud go window shopping for guns (kinda). I went to this gun shop that's been here for 40 years with the 2 old gents sitting around on folding chairs with big ol' Buck lying next to them.
Went to the 1911 case and there was this RIA 1911 staring at me saying take me! take me! So I asked to see it and it stuck to my hand.:rolleyes: The guy said he had 18 of them and was down to his last 2. Even gave one to his son for his 21 b-day. Likes the gun for the money. Said he had an AO and hated it. Was very dissapointed with the quality.
Bottom line $438 w/ extra mag thrown in. I don't think I would have found that $350 gun here in OC.
So in 11 days I'll let you all know if I'm happy or not.
Tomorrrow going shootin my XD40 :D:D:D

Take care guys and thanks for the great advise from all.
(everyone needs a 1911 ;))
jp

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Congrats, post pics when you get it!

This would drive me nuts! SoCal is a nice place (I've visited before); but as a whole I could never live in California. It took me all of about ten minutes to process the paperwork to get my two guns this morning (to include writing the checks), and I had them in hand once it was completed.

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Did my usual Sat am stuff and then thought I woud go window shopping for guns (kinda). I went to this gun shop that's been here for 40 years with the 2 old gents sitting around on folding chairs with big ol' Buck lying next to them.
Went to the 1911 case and there was this RIA 1911 staring at me saying take me! take me! So I asked to see it and it stuck to my hand.:rolleyes: The guy said he had 18 of them and was down to his last 2. Even gave one to his son for his 21 b-day. Likes the gun for the money. Said he had an AO and hated it. Was very dissapointed with the quality.
Bottom line $438 w/ extra mag thrown in. I don't think I would have found that $350 gun here in OC.
Tomorrrow going shootin my XD40 :D:D:D

Take care guys and thanks for the great advise from all.
(everyone needs a 1911 ;))
jp
thats still a good price, you did fine:D
and RIA's customer service is incredible from what i've seen/read/heard.
they will go so far as to replace the entire gun if they cant fix it properly.
one of RIA's reps hangs out on one of the popular 1911 forums, but i cant recall which one.

cheers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats, post pics when you get it!
This would drive me nuts! SoCal is a nice place (I've visited before); but as a whole I could never live in California. It took me all of about ten minutes to process the paperwork to get my two guns this morning (to include writing the checks), and I had them in hand once it was completed.

Cheers! M2
Will do!

I know! I know! and they call it a cooling off period :rolleyes: more like a pissing off period:x

M2 and Boomer thanks again!:smile:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts