Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Sunday I finally got around to get my CCW certificate. I learned so much and had so many questions answered that I was wondering about. The guys at the Monticello gun club in MN were great. My friend let me use his XD40 4.5"

When we started to do live firing drills the range and the first 2 shots at 7 yards were great. But next 3 round mag was 5 inches low. Finally figured out that I was trying to fight the recoil and dipped down. He told me that it happens to a lot of people, and takes some range time and dry firing training to get rid of it. It was weird because when I was doing the draw and immediately shooting I was a lot closer to the middle. But as soon as I concentrate and take my time...5 inches low.

After everyone did their shooting tests I ended up getting to shoot a .22 target gun. The first shot I took I ended up dipping waaaaaaaaay low. Never shot a .22 before so didn't know what to expect in the recoil it had.

Hopefully more range time and discipline helps me get my mind right. 2nd time shooting, hopefully get alllllot more time in with the xdm40c that I'm pickin up tomorrow :p........

And its mine! Pic added or it didn't happen

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Try not to anticipate the recoil so much. Marry the thumbs and push/pull with your arms without locking the elbows. Keep feet shoulder-length apart and staggered front to rear. Take your time and squeeze the trigger...don't yank. Imagine you are pulling the front site through the rear sight while keeping it in-line and on target. I find 3-round triangles help to show where you are at.

The above made a big difference for me. I was putting rounds through holes at a close range. (7-yards) Just my .02

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Congrats on deciding to get your ccw...Be safe and practice, practice, practice...:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. And thanks for the advice Seb I'll have to take that into consideration when I go shooting next.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Congrats on getting your CCW. I'm probably going to get mine in a few months or so and hopefully will have a XDm9c to go with it.:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Watch you finger position on the trigger. I was having issues with shots low left. I found recoil anticipation and sliding my finger too far into the trigger was the issue. I vowed to shoot 150 rounds a week and after 1800 rounds I fit 50 rounds in a 5 inch circle at 7 yards with about 1 second between shots. It is frustrating at first, but with time you will start to see your improvement. Start slow and increase your speed as yours it's get tighter.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Congrats and keep on practicing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice shootin! What yardage is that?

Nvm I reread first post you posted and saw that it was at 7 yards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts