Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input from the unlimited knowledge of XDtalk users! I am currently pursuing a CCW pistol. I am in the process of buying a S&W 442 for a pocket gun in the summertime, but want a semi-auto for other seasons, occasions. Heres my thoughts:

1. Sig P239 in 9mm.
2. Walther PPS in 9mm.
3. S&W M&P compact.
4. Glock 26/27.
5. Para Ordnance Warthog.
6. HK P2000 if I can get my hands on one in Mass.

Keep in mind I don't want anything lower than a 9mm and I can't buy an XD in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Looking for some input from the unlimited knowledge of XDtalk users! I am currently pursuing a CCW pistol. I am in the process of buying a S&W 442 for a pocket gun in the summertime, but want a semi-auto for other seasons, occasions. Heres my thoughts:

1. Sig P239 in 9mm.
2. Walther PPS in 9mm.
3. S&W M&P compact.
4. Glock 26/27.

Keep in mind I don't want anything lower than a 9mm and I can't buy an XD in Massachusetts.
With which gun can you most accurately shoot with consistent defensive accuracy? That is the gun that you should carry.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With which gun can you most accurately shoot with consistent defensive accuracy? That is the gun that you should carry.

Definitely agree with you, the problem with that is I don't have the luxury of putting hundreds of rounds through every prospect gun. Instead I plan on purchasing the one that feels most comfortable in my hands, then I will practice with it until i achieve that consistent accuracy. Thank you for your info though sir.

To the other poster, I agree the PPS looks like a pretty cool gun. Its definitely making the short list in narrowing down my decision.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Look at a G30 SF

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Get the Sig 225 / P6 for less than $300 and use the extra money for holster and ammo.

Or get a Springfield 1911 Lightweight Champion Operator for carry and knockdown.

Chapie+

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

1. Sig P239 in 9mm.
2. Walther PPS in 9mm.
3. S&W M&P compact.
4. Glock 26/27.

why is that?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
oh also taurus makes some really nice inexpensive semi autos that are very small
or get the micro 1911 from springfield :lol:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I like the G26..
pps hold just 6 rounds..
G27 hard recoil
can not say anything about sig..
M&P I like the .40c
H&K P2000 consider the P2000 SK but too $$$$...
good luck

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
M&P compact feels nice in my hands, it was between getting that and my .40XDSC but i liked the xd better because of the striker indicator, and loaded chamber indicator. I liked the walther PPS also, very slim could easily slip it into your pocket.

·
Registered
430 Posts

1. Sig P239 in 9mm.
2. Walther PPS in 9mm.
3. S&W M&P compact.
4. Glock 26/27.

Given the options above my first pick would be the Sig but not in 9mm.. I'd opt for .40 S&W. I've shot one and Sigs just seem to me to have an inherrant accuracy. As mentioned above the P6 is actually a great gun if you're set on 9mm and with the price point is an exceptional value.

My second pick would be the Warthog just can't beat a .45 as a SD weapon. Para has had some quality issues in the past but I have heard that they seem to have stepped up their QC here lately.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Another vote for the SIG with the H&K in a close second. Forget the PARA they are made from recycled HiPoints.:twisted:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Definitely agree with you, the problem with that is I don't have the luxury of putting hundreds of rounds through every prospect gun. Instead I plan on purchasing the one that feels most comfortable in my hands, then I will practice with it until i achieve that consistent accuracy. Thank you for your info though sir.

To the other poster, I agree the PPS looks like a pretty cool gun. Its definitely making the short list in narrowing down my decision.
OK.... So the question becomes does each of the guns on your list feel equally comfortable in your hand? If you have not gotten to that step, aren't you asking you question a bit prematurely? You have to find what works for you regardless of what a bunch of people on the internet think will work for you.

All of the guns on your list are fine weapons. It all comes down to finding the one that works best for you. Even if there is no range local to you that rents guns, a day trip to a place that does can save you several hundreds of dollars on a gun that turns out to not be what you expected.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Sig P239 in 9mm, but it is a thinner single stack.
Some find it too thin to be comfortable.

A huge +1 on trying to rent anything before you buy.
I'd rather spend $100+ on renting 3 or 4 pistols than to spend $500+ on one and not like it.
As stated, even if you can't shoot or rent all on the list, get to a gun store or gun show and at least handle them.

The Glock 26 is a great gun, but uncomfortable in my hand.
The backstrap dug into my palm.
I found Sigs and XDs fit my grip better than most.

CCW isn't about a cool looking pistol, it is about finding the right tool for the job at hand...

Just a little info, I also bought a S&W 642 (442) for summer pocket carry.
Had it a month and then held, shot, and bought a Ruger LCP.
Ended up selling the 642.

Why no XDs in Mass?

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I love my P239... And if you get a .40/.357SIG model, then you have the option of either plus 9mm. Makes it a bit cheaper to practice. Since I reload .40 but not .357, I usually go to the range, put a hundred or so .40s&w through the P239 and maybe a mag or two of the .357SIG. Come home, clean it and keep it loaded with the .357...

Great handgun, very versitle, very concealable and utterly reliable. More comfortable to shoot than any glock of similar size. (the mag release bites me on the baby glocks) Just an all around great CCW gun.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I just went to a Utah CCW class yesterday and the instructor had a couple of Kahrs a 9mm and a 380 that seemed like they might be pretty sweet and I was checking out their website this morning and they now make a .45 acp that is so small and thin it can be pocket carried. Might be something to go put your hands on and fire if possible, depending on your budget anyway. Here is the link if you are interested. Kahr Arms / Products

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I love my P239... And if you get a .40/.357SIG model, then you have the option of either plus 9mm. Makes it a bit cheaper to practice. Since I reload .40 but not .357, I usually go to the range, put a hundred or so .40s&w through the P239 and maybe a mag or two of the .357SIG. Come home, clean it and keep it loaded with the .357...

Great handgun, very versitle, very concealable and utterly reliable. More comfortable to shoot than any glock of similar size. (the mag release bites me on the baby glocks) Just an all around great CCW gun.
That 357sig round is a fun round to shoot...:mrgreen:
Pricey, but a lot of fun..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts