Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of my college classes, I have to use some drafting software not taught at our school and put in 105 hours of work into a project or multiple projects. Well, about 92 hours later, I'm almost completely finished with drawing all the parts of my XD-40. All that's left is redrawing the magazine spring and a little bit of work on the locking block. Then the fun of assigning materials and placing light sources to make it look purty. Just have a screenshot of the slide and parts for now. It's getting late and I've been working on this for 4.5 hours straight up until now. Hoping to finish the remaining 13+ hours by Monday so I'll have more and hopefully better pics soon.

PICS on pages 3 & 4

·
Registered
454 Posts
awesome!........... Tons o work!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looking good!! I've spend enough time using Autocad, to appreciate what you've done there.

Hats off to you, it looks great, maybe you could post a pic when it is finished, I'd love to see that.

Remember save often.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Very nice work. I use cad (Solid Edge specifically) daily with my job. Would you be willing to export those files in IGES or STEP format and share them? I would love to have a copy of those files but I understand if you don't want to. Either way beautiful work Do you have any plans to do the frame and magazine?

mcb

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the compliments everyone :D Anyone who'd like a copy of the files is more than welcome to as soon as I finish it, I just ask I get credit if you share or post it somewhere else.

mcb, I do have the frame and magazine done, just need to make the mag spring one solid piece and touch up the locking block. Only thing I haven't done and probably won't is the textured part (little squares) on the front and rear of grip. Might get to that later after the semester is over. DAMNIT! I just remembered I haven't added the thumb cutouts. Crap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Killer Drawing!

A copy of the file would be great, when you're finished.

[email protected]

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the rest of it. Unorganized and still not done. I spent 3 hours today just figuring out how to cut the thumb cutouts. :cry: Didn't think it'd take that long. And I still have to draw em. Anyways...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I wonder if your teacher is one of those types that will have a heart attack when you turn in a virtual gun for your work! :)

Nice job.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
pretty damn cool man

·
Registered
245 Posts
Excellent! I would like to convert these drawings into UGS Solid Edge. (I have access to Solid Edge, Solid Works, and Autodesk Inventor.)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Wow,

Didn't even realize MicroStation was still in use anywhere. All the academics labs have been using ADesk Inventor, Solid Edge, Solidworks, or in some rare instances, Catia or ProE.

Nice work.

feel like exporting them to .stp files? I'll see if I can get the motion simulator in my software to do a cycle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very, very, very nice! I'd like a copy in non-CAD format (hey, we molecular genetics guys aren't good at that stuff!). I'd also suggest seeing if Ajames or someone might be interested in using your pics in a formal manual or something. Those are by far the best I've seen for this gun. Excellent.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Damn!! That is awesome. I would love to get a copy of this file. I could import into AutoCad or Rhino and manufacture some non-mechanical/safe upgrades.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts