Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the last show downtown I managed to pick up a new M&P .40 standard for $500 out the door ($450 after rebate).

The ergonomics of the pistol are fantastic. Out of the three grip sizes, the small is pretty much useless to me, however the medium is a perfect fit and the large is great for stable target shooting. Just the way the pistol sits in my hand I am able to find my aim quicker than with most other pistols I have used.

If you compare the slide tension to the XD, the M&P seems to be much easier to pull back even right out of the box.

Magazines also seemed easier to load. With a 15 round capacity I expected to be struggling with the last few rounds without having the handy loader the XD comes with. However even the 15th round went it without much of a struggle.

Then came the fun part of course. The first magazine was loaded with some .40 S&W 165gr Blazer FMJ. Before this I had heard of the M&P .40 to have lower recoil than other .40's... After the first few shots, I completely agree. The pistol sits lower in the hand, so much of the force seemed to be exerted into my palm as opposed to the top of my hand, which had a noticeable positive effect on the recoil.

I also tried some Remington 180gr JHP. I don't know why, but the white flame from the M&P was huge and very cool looking.

I shot most of my groups at 25-30 feet or so. I understand the barrel is 4.25" instead of 4" but damn, this thing was extremely accurate right out of the box. I can't wait until it's broken in if it isn't already.

After the first 85 rounds, I love this thing. If you've been debating whether or not to get an M&P over other pistols, try the M&P!

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Good review and price. I'm still waiting on my rebate; sent in weeks ago (takes 6-8 according to small print).

When I picked one up, the grip did not feel as good to me as others, maybe the another interchagable grip would suit me.

How was your accuracy with it and how would you compare the trigger to your XD?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I gave the M&P 9 compact some serious consideration but I did not like the feel of the trigger at all. Otherwise, not a bad gun and it felt pretty nice in my hand. Glad to know you're happy with you're choice. That's what matters.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I gave the M&P 9 compact some serious consideration but I did not like the feel of the trigger at all. Otherwise, not a bad gun and it felt pretty nice in my hand. Glad to know you're happy with you're choice. That's what matters.
I know what you mean. The trigger on my xd and my m&p are certainly different. Both are stock triggers. The xd is much lighter, possibly due to it being much more broke in, but it also has more take up and a longer reset. The m&p has a heaver trigger, probably about 8 pounds (vs probably five pounds on the xd), but the travel and reset is much shorter and more distinct.

I wish I could lighten the m&p to the level of the xd, and give the xd the same "crispness" as the m&p. Oh well, something to tinker on in the future I guess.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Congrats on the new M&P! Great guns with a good following. I considered one before I bought my XD. In the end I just liked the XD a bit more.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I know what you mean. The trigger on my xd and my m&p are certainly different. Both are stock triggers. The xd is much lighter, possibly due to it being much more broke in, but it also has more take up and a longer reset. The m&p has a heaver trigger, probably about 8 pounds (vs probably five pounds on the xd), but the travel and reset is much shorter and more distinct.

I wish I could lighten the m&p to the level of the xd, and give the xd the same "crispness" as the m&p. Oh well, something to tinker on in the future I guess.
There is a guy over at M&P Pistol . com forums that does good trigger jobs...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts