Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say that I'm new to this forum but I've been reading it for quite some time. Hello from Indiana.

I got quite a deal on some ammo today and I thought the story would be worthy of my first posting... Sorry, it's kinda long, but that's how I tell stories...

It all started last weekend when I found a Dick's Sporting Goods coupon in the Sunday paper for 50% off your second box of ammo (equal or lesser value, up to 6 boxes total). I was interested in some 9mm (XD9) so I did the math and figured out that the total cost on the Remington 115gr FMJ was slightly lower ($8.24/50 rounds) than the current per case discount price ($8.98/50 rounds - 10 boxes). I got up to the register with 6 boxes, the cashier rung me up, I presented him with the coupon, he scanned it and then keyed it in and my total came up... $32.94, significantly lower than what I was expecting. I, of course, didn't say anything. When I got out to the car I looked at my receipt and realized that he had rung me up at 50% off of the retail price ($10.98) of all 6 boxes. I rode all the way home with a rather large smile on my face.

The next day I was talking to my neighbor and asked her if she still had her Sunday paper (thinking I could get a coupon from her and at worst still get the 6 box deal). She had one and gave it to me. I went back to Dick's today (they had a good deal on a Savage Arms .22 rifle I wanted for some plinking fun). The guy behind the counter was very nice and yet completely overwhelmed. He was working alone and trying to help a ton of people. When it was my turn, asked him some questions, he showed me the rifle and while I looked at it he helped some other folks. He kept apologizing that he needed to help other people. I was in no big hurry and was enjoying looking and playing, so, no big deal.

At Dick's, part of the purchase price includes bore sighting. After all of the paperwork he asked me if he could have a hour to get the sighting done. No problem, I went and got something to eat and did some shopping. When I came back it was all done. We did some fine tuning. He moved the scope a bit back toward my eye and re-bore sighted it. I payed for the rifle, thanked him and told him I would come back in a few minutes to pick up some 9MM rounds (I wanted to do two separate transactions because I didn't want to have to carry everything at once, and I wanted to see if I could find the same cashier from earlier this week).

After I put the .22 in the car, I went back in and found the same guy and told him I'd take a case of the 9mm. Before he reached for it, he pulled out a rain check slip... Since I was looking at 10 cases right behind the counter, I figured he was finishing a request from a previous customer. To my pleasant surprise, he was predating the slip to give me last month's case price of $7.98/50 rounds. He looked up and said "Just one?" I responded with "Well, maybe two." He marked the rain check for two cases, thanked me again for my earlier patients and handed over 2 cases of the 9MM.

I made my way to the cashier looking for the guy who rung me up earlier in the week when I heard the cashier who rang me up for the .22 call out "Back for more? I'm open, I can ring you up." He rang it up (he had to call over the manager to get the rain check price approved). Oh well, I thought, I'm still getting 1000 rounds for $159.60. I pulled out the coupon, handed it to him and asked if it would help. He took the coupon and said "Well, let's see. What does it say down in the fine print?" He put on some reading glasses, looked at it for a while and said "Sure, why not." He punched a couple of keys and took 50% off of my entire purchase. I tried not to let the smile escape my lips. I paid for the ammo, walked to my car and drove home with the biggest sh!* eating grin I've had in a long time. :grin:

1300 rounds of Remington 9mm 115gr FMJ for $112.74... Or, $0.0867 per round.

If anyone else have any "great deal" stories they'd like to share, I'd love to hear 'em.

kevin

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
...and if his register and sales are checked, he may have to make up for his error out of his pocket.

Chuck
Yeah.......um......agreed.

I would not have posted all that. That's not so much of a "great deal" as it is "dishonest". Even though it's not technically your responsibility to let them know they are wrong, it's like going to a gas station and having your CC only charged a few bucks for a full tank of gas and driving away. Still stealing in my book.

I feel bad for the guy who has to balance his drawer that night.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yeah.......um......agreed.

I would not have posted all that. That's not so much of a "great deal" as it is "dishonest". Even though it's not technically your responsibility to let them know they are wrong, it's like going to a gas station and having your CC only charged a few bucks for a full tank of gas and driving away. Still stealing in my book.

I feel bad for the guy who has to balance his drawer that night.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forum.
+1 (and certainly an interesting 1st post...)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm. Well, the manager did approve the sale, but he's obviously giving you the nice guy treatment (at the very least).

I hope you at least plan on patronizing that store more often... they should have your business for a long time for anything they carry, regardless of coupons.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not trying to bash you, but if I gotta get it dishonestly, I don't want it.
I'm of the firm opinion that things like that have a way or working themselves out in the long run. At the least you should take your receipts back and do the right thing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
While I may not morally agree with it, he did nothing wrong....The manager approved the purchase to what he interpreted the coupon to be. I would have done the same thing except maybe when the manager looked at the coupon pointed out it was only for half the ammo.

As to the guy having to make up the difference or the drawers being out of balance, won't happen. The computer tells the clerk what the total is, so if the computer says the total is X amount, and there is X amount in the drawer then everything is fine.

I agree I would make sure to spend some more money there because they have given you a great deal.

·
Registered
266 Posts
While I may not morally agree with it, he did nothing wrong....The manager approved the purchase to what he interpreted the coupon to be. I would have done the same thing except maybe when the manager looked at the coupon pointed out it was only for half the ammo.

As to the guy having to make up the difference or the drawers being out of balance, won't happen. The computer tells the clerk what the total is, so if the computer says the total is X amount, and there is X amount in the drawer then everything is fine.

I agree I would make sure to spend some more money there because they have given you a great deal.
But the register also prints out reports when things are marked down by a large amount and keeps track of trends on that cashier.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Screw Dicks sporting goods... why should they be allowed to make a profit? They are there because of the customers, right?

hehe... While I agree that it was kinda shady I can assure you I would do it myself and I would go back every day until the deal was over... in fact I am looking for my Sunday paper as we speak =).

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would have to assume i would not do this but if i did i wouldnt post on here lol! aamo shouldnt be this expensive anyway lol!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't get the moral high grounding here. 90% of people would do the same thing, including most of us here. The OP did nothing dishonest. He was maybe not real smart for posting it on the internet, but that's a whole different problem. The cashier's register won't be short, the OP paid what he was charged.

OP: congrats on getting lucky. Maybe posting this wasn't the greatest idea, but it was a good score.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not saying that the situation was right or wrong by either party... but sometimes businesses.... a lot of businesses, get loyal customers that way... its the same principal as the grocery stores giving you free food, or a bartender buying you a drink.. maybe he does it once or twice, and now you only shop there.. and if they are lucky you tell some friends.

P.S. Figured I could make my first post on anothers first post... easy way to break the ice.

Mike, in Minnesota

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I can see where this would be wrong, very wrong

·
Registered
156 Posts
that was a good score...and while it may have been a little shady to go back there and seek out the same cashier and what not I wouldnt be worried about the cashier being out any money. The register tracks money coming in and going out as long as it adds up then its all good..ur transaction would have no bearing on that. If they have some sort of tracker for discounts/coupons or what not the manager signed off on it and they should be have known.

all in all ammo is way too expensive anyways and if anything you probably got it for what they paid for it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I can't say I see anything wrong with what the OP did. Retail outlets run specials for a reason. They probably had a very special deal from the ammo distributor and were passing the special on. I seriously doubt that the OP was the only person who got the "special". Usually this part of the deal is not advertised, so few people think to ask/get more than advertised.

I worked in retail loss prevention for a while. The computer is looking for a coupon for the sale price. Both are recorded and easily audited. The clerk did his part by checking with the manager, who signed off on the deal. This tells me there was a lot of leaway that the manager knew about but the clerks may or may not have known about.

You can offen get special deals if you talk to the right person, usually a manager, in just about any retail outlet.

I actually got an unadvertised deal when I got my 9sc. The store owner was waiting on me and asked me how I liked it. I said did like it but the price was more than I wanted to pay. He knocked $30 off the sticker and asked that was better. I said yes and walked out with my new XD. He made a sale and I got the gun I wanted at a better price.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
Lets see, Dick's took a hit on the ammo, due to your dishonesty. So I guess we will all see higher prices in the near future to make up for it.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Wow, you certainly got a super deal. They DID OK the $price$. However ...if it had been ME (and it wasn't) I think I would have brought the discount price to their attention.

Yeah. It was your decision. Your call. Point is, I thing I would have done it a little bit different. But...I didn't buy that ammo. And yeah...what may happen to that employee?

Taking the other side, they did sell you all that ammo at that price. They did check it thru the scanner. Perhaps what you enjoyed was the all time "loss leader"?

Soossss, are you taking orders for all of us ammo starved $broke$ gun owners begging for "ammo", "ammo", "ammo"? You scored! Do you share? HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Doing it the first time was unintentional, but going back for an even bigger score was where I think his story went from "lucky me" to "stealing". Its one thing to find a twenty on the ground and keep it. As opposed to taking it from someones pocket. just my .02

1 - 20 of 23 Posts