Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Step one.

PSA blemished, stripped lower $69 including shipping and ffl. $uploadfromtaptalk1413040397186.jpg

·
Registered
207 Posts
I own one of these lowers. The blems are a great deal. I want to pick up another. Mine was all in spec and installed the LPK very easily. Solid. :cool:

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first build. So the plan is not complete.

Have strongly considered 14.5-14.7" barrel, but I'll probably just get 16" to eliminate the pinning.

Looking at two stage triggers. This will be a paper puncher so I want a nice light crisp break. However I may still buy a complete LPK, they are so cheap so why pass on the included trigger.

Flat top upper with configurable, free float front hand guard.

This build will take a while, I plan to add a stage about once a month.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
No problem. Also, don't be afraid to go for the ALG triggers. Here's a decent package deal for your LPK and trigger:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ower-parts-kit-sku100010634-54550-105735.aspx

Best part is, you get to choose which one to go with, based on your budget.

P.S. - Take online reviews with a grain of salt. Those that call themselves "gunsmiths" most often just slept at a Holiday Inn Express the night before. ;)

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you don't need ammo yet, right?
Not yet, I haven't purchased any high capacity assault clips yet.

But I do new to learn what is good, bad and the prices for .223 and 5.56.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
To me that is one of the best things about that caliber. You can usually find ammo at a decent price. I don't reload for .223 for that reason. I just don't seem to save enough money to make it worth my time.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
To me that is one of the best things about that caliber. You can usually find ammo at a decent price. I don't reload for .223 for that reason. I just don't seem to save enough money to make it worth my time.
To me reloading 223 is not about saving money but is about tailoring the loads to my rifles.

don

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I can save about $0.55 to $0.60 per round and duplicate Federal Gold Medal Match, which is hard to find in my area. Blasting ammo is cheap, and it shows on paper.

My costs:

Primers: $34/1000 (Have not bought in bulk but plan to soon)
Powder: $28/lb
Cases: $90/1000 for LC brass, approximately 6-8 firings (or more) per case
Bullets: $120/500 for 69gr SMK

It pays to reload. I shoot more, I load more. For a decent first time set up to duplicate good factory ammo, I'd expect to spend about $500 if I was just getting into it.

I'd recover my investment in about 900 rounds, quicker if you buy in bulk, buy cheaper components, or do group buys.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
To me reloading 223 is not about saving money but is about tailoring the loads to my rifles.

don
No doubt. My buddy and reloading mentor is an older guy from my church. His deal is taking his Savage bolt action to the range and shooting maybe 10 rounds at 100 yards. His bullets are very lightly crimped and you don't push them in with the bolt. You ease them in with your finger tip and then close the bolt. His goals is always 5 shots under a dime. I have never done it, even with his gun. I have put 5 under a nickel a few times.

My idea is to take my Mini 14 or Saiga and heat that sucker up. I don't shoot them all that often but when I do I get my money's worth. So my main priority is cheap ammo that will ring steel at 100 yards. Not too lofty of a goal. :grin:

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I have an ALG QMS and I have to say its the best "mil spec" trigger on an AR Ive shot. I dont have an immense amount of years behind an AR but from my experience I like it compared to others Ive shot.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
looking forward to following this thread ! Don't skimp on the trigger that's the only thing I need to fix on my current build i'm going for a timney.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I have an ALG QMS and I have to say its the best "mil spec" trigger on an AR Ive shot. I dont have an immense amount of years behind an AR but from my experience I like it compared to others Ive shot.
I had an ALG QMS on my last rifle it's a great trigger and it can be had around $50

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm looking for comments on Geissele two stage triggers.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts