Anyways I stuck it in the safe and never really bothered with it. I had considered sending it off for cerakote but since I wasn't gonna carry it I didn't see the need. I've been curious about Alumahyde for a while so I figured I'd give it a shot on this.
Most of the finish was gone so I hit it with a wire wheel and some 600 grit sandpaper. Brake cleaner and then an acetone soak. Heated it up to 100 degrees and coated it. I originally wanted to do the barrel as well but the coating added to much width and it wouldn't set into the frame. I opted instead to strip the barrel, polished it and then blued it. Added a nice contrast I think. I used my PWS FSC556 comp as a test piece to see how it sprayed.
Stuff was super easy to work with. I did very little prep work outside of what the interwebs suggested. I did buy an extra fan spray nozzle but the one that came on the can never clogged. I heated the can up and shook the beejesus out of it for about 5 minutes. Laid a light coat down on everything and used a hairdryer to flash it. Waited 10 minutes between coats and did 3 coats total. I didn't bake it afterwards I just rigged it up so the hairdryer circulated warm air around it for a few hours. It'll take a few days to fully cure. Here's some pics. I did FDE cause I'm Tactical AF.