5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0757.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG
I've got an XD. It's about a year and a half old. Originally I got it to carry but decided I wanted to carry .357 Sig off duty so in the safe it went and I bought a Glock 32. Not sure if this is common with the XD's but even though it's had very little carry use the finish started wearing off and got to the point where it was just flaking off. Understandable for a hard use gun but this never saw any real abuse outside of the range.

Anyways I stuck it in the safe and never really bothered with it. I had considered sending it off for cerakote but since I wasn't gonna carry it I didn't see the need. I've been curious about Alumahyde for a while so I figured I'd give it a shot on this.

Most of the finish was gone so I hit it with a wire wheel and some 600 grit sandpaper. Brake cleaner and then an acetone soak. Heated it up to 100 degrees and coated it. I originally wanted to do the barrel as well but the coating added to much width and it wouldn't set into the frame. I opted instead to strip the barrel, polished it and then blued it. Added a nice contrast I think. I used my PWS FSC556 comp as a test piece to see how it sprayed.

Stuff was super easy to work with. I did very little prep work outside of what the interwebs suggested. I did buy an extra fan spray nozzle but the one that came on the can never clogged. I heated the can up and shook the beejesus out of it for about 5 minutes. Laid a light coat down on everything and used a hairdryer to flash it. Waited 10 minutes between coats and did 3 coats total. I didn't bake it afterwards I just rigged it up so the hairdryer circulated warm air around it for a few hours. It'll take a few days to fully cure. Here's some pics. I did FDE cause I'm Tactical AF.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
It looks nice, I'll be interested in hearing how it holds up.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah if I was gonna carry it I probably would've gone with something more along the Gunkote/Cerakote line. This should keep it from rusting at least.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beat to shite it was starting to pit and rust on the corners.

·
Premium Member
17,766 Posts
Looks good! Guess I'll have to get some acetone to do it right. Thanks for detailing your process.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
It looks good. I like the 2 tone look.

I've never had real good results from alumahyde though. Gunkote seems to work the best for me.

Just FWIW, I coated my K245 slide in fde, my blackout is mostly FDE too. Going to paint my suppressor to match, if NFA branch ever stops holding my paperwork hostage. It's been almost 9 months now. o_O

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
The refinish looks great!

Not sure why your XD's finish started wearing so fast...that's definitely out-of-the-ordinary.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
People pay extra now days for "battle worn" finishes. So, you were super tactical after you sanded it and you didn't even know it :razz:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People pay extra now days for "battle worn" finishes. So, you were super tactical after you sanded it and you didn't even know it :razz:
That's what it looked like before sanding. The finish had been flaking off like dry skin.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG
In addition to my pistol slide 1 can of Alumahyde has also been enough to coat 6 XD pistol magazines. 2 30 round GI mags, 1 30 round PMAG a 12" Keymod Handguard and a PWS muzzle brake. I air cured the pistol slide and then got wise and bought a small oven to bake the other parts. For an at home minimal prep type deal it's pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far so good. Also gives it a slightly rougher texture.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts