Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally went and did it! After loading for my rifle only for 3+ years I finally got around to loading for the pistols. Worked out a deal with my buddy: His dies, his powder, primers, bullets. My brass, my time at my press. We split 100 rounds for each caliber. Sweet!

.45 ACP: Hornady 200gr. XTP/HP, 6.3gr. Unique.
Recoil was very pleasant through both my XD and my buddy's 4" Kimber, even though it's only .2gr. below the Lyman Manual's max suggested load. This load also showed way more potential accuracy than I'm currently capable of...:rolleyes:

this was 10 shots on an 8" target at 12 yds. I don't get to shoot near as much as I like, so I'm pretty pleased with this grouping.

.357 mag: Hornady 125gr. XTP/HP, 9.5gr. Unique.
I really didn't want to use Unique for the .357 loads. Seemed to my limited experience that it's too fast burning for .357, creating a fairly high pressure/low velocity round. But... It's what was on hand so I found a recipe in Lyman. Recoil not bad, dunno about velocity. Pleased with 12 yd. accuracy, can't say the same for 25 yds, but then again it was getting later in the day, I was tired, and I'm fairly out of practice.

6 shots on 8" target at 12 yds. Again, not too shabby for my ability.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Well done, your XD is certainly capable of exc accuracy. WOrk at it, the gun & the XTP bullet are capable of near match grade accuracy. These were shot @ 50ft testing the LFCD against a std taper crimp die. Why I don't recomend the LFCD.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice groups fredj! Mind if I ask for more details on that load? I've been reloading for a few years, but this project has rejuvenated my interest and has me scrambling for info.....

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Nice groups fredj! Mind if I ask for more details on that load? I've been reloading for a few years, but this project has rejuvenated my interest and has me scrambling for info.....
I pretty much use nothing but WST in the 45acp, all bullet wts & types.
The loads; 185gr XTP @ 1.220" o/ 5.4gr of WST. The other a Berry's 200grFP @ 1.220" o/ 4.8gr of WST. As always, work the load up, although I don't find either max.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Now I gotta get a lb. of 2400 for the .357's AND a lb. of WST for the .45's.:p:cool:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Thanks for the info. Now I gotta get a lb. of 2400 for the .357's AND a lb. of WST for the .45's.:p:cool:
Both good choices. For the 45acp, using WST, the gun almost shoots those groups itself. I seem to be just hanging onto it.;) Yes, it's that good in the 45acp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts