Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and picked up this Ruger Mark III today. Will go out and shoot it tomorrow and see what she can do. Any tips or tricks I should know about this one before I go, there seems to be a lot of oil on it so maybe a good cleaning first?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Congrats, the 22/45 is a nice shooting pistol. Yes, clean any excess oil and run a patch or two through the barrel. I've removed the mag disconnect and put a trigger kit into my Mark III. There a plenty of YT videos on the subject if your interested. Once you learn the tricks, the dis/re-assembly is easy. The bolt pin will be tight on a new gun and will take some effort to remove it the first few times.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
My suggestion? Sit down with a nice cup of coffee and learn how to field strip it. Once you have that down, you'll have conquered the most annoying aspect of that pistol. Clean it when you're at it, and enjoy it at the range.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Great pistols, I certainly love mine. There are a lot of mods you can do, but they are great out of the box. Youtube is your friend as far as learning disassembly/reassembly. In that regard its a terrible design, but the accuracy is superb.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, I just finished watching a few Youtube videos and think I have the idea on what to do now all I have to do is do it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Had the same gun with a stainless barrel, nice shooter.

Big issue of course is figuring out how to disassemble, not a picnic but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Buy a rubber mallet.

I didn't like the grip on mine from the polymer grips so filed them down and threaded them for some Hogue 1911 grips. Bad idea, it turned out like crap and wound up buying another lower for it and giving it to my brother in law.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Had the same gun with a stainless barrel, nice shooter.

Big issue of course is figuring out how to disassemble, not a picnic but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Buy a rubber mallet.

I didn't like the grip on mine from the polymer grips so filed them down and threaded them for some Hogue 1911 grips. Bad idea, it turned out like crap and wound up buying another lower for it and giving it to my brother in law.
My mod turned out OK... ;)

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
My mod turned out OK... ;)

Nice.

I completely F'd mine up. I bought the gun for 250 though so I just bought another 22/45 with interchangeable grip panels and swapped barrels between a red dot on one and a fiber optic on the other before I got rid of it. You also got one of them fancy dancy triggers.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Yeurp - started out as a basic fixed-sight 22/45, wound up like that.

Was a ton of fun to work on, too.

·
Banned
0 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Congrats to OP on the 22/45.

Bore snake every 200 rounds. Full take down & cleaning every 2,000 or so should be good.

A dead blow hammer is your friend.

Stay away from rimfirecentral. That cheap .22lr might become the most expensive gun you own.

kypix

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ABout the only thing I might do it in the beginning is that I have an extra EoTech sight I might put on it just for fun to see how it works but I'll probably take it off and just use the iron sights, who knows.

Oh, I have a really big rubber mallet so I'm all set for a field strip. :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Great pistols ! I have had one since 2000 . It has had at least 20.000 rounds through it It has been field strip cleaned 3 times,, yeah 3 times. my kids could go through a 550 ammo pack without even thinking about it. It takes some thought to take it apart so follow directions but really it only need cleaning when it is so gunked up it won't cycle. Keep it lubed and remember you wear out the gun by cleaning it . Again there is little need to take it apart when cleaning. don't do anything to modify the pistol yet just shoot it for a few moths and then decide what you want or need to change. Mine is box stock. It shoots plenty good. IMHO the pistols 22/45 and MK series are the best pistols Ruger makes . A whole lot of fun for little $$$

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
If it takes down the same way as a mark 2, which I think it does, you're gonna have a bad time. I hate cleaning those.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I field stripped it, cleaned off all the grease/oil that was on it and put it back together and I think it's all working correctly. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but then I watched a few videos which explained a lot.

Thanks guys, I'm off to the range in the morning.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
First, be aware that there are Mark IIIs that aren't 22/45s. ;) I own two 22/45s....love 'em. Acquired the first one early last year, the Sat. after I gave my pristine Colt Woodsman to my youngest son on a Friday.

Get a BAM or Tandemkross bushing and 86 that mag disconnect safety crap. Do the "slingshot" mod; won't cost a dime. Install a Volquartsen target trigger and sear. Find some ammo....good luck with that!! :cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts