Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had some fun this past week with my 1911s.
One Kimber and one RIA 1911 both in 9mm.

So I'm cleaning and found a couple issues. So I decided to replace some parts.

I replaced my Kimber Pro Carry II mainspring cap and plunger assembly.

I was disassembling for detail cleaning and noticed the top had a crease on it. The mainspring housing pin had pushed up through the housing just enough to crease it.

That's when I realized it was made of plastic.
Checked online and sure enough, Kimber used those in some of their pistols. It was a fad for a while a few decades ago, some still use them.
Kimber is one of them. Go figure, cheap... Otherwise the gun is sweet.

Ordered a replacement aluminum one for the light weight and looks and the new one went together like a charm, slid right into place like a custom fit and looks great. I can post pics tonight of the damaged one.
They look identical but the plastic one just did not hold up.
I Like the 20 lpi checkering on it. Nice feel.

The plunger pins were fine, but the spring had a really bad kink right in the middle.
I think I posted that pic in another thread.

As it's my primary carry, I wanted to replace it, so I did. The replacement parts again went in like a charm. I kept the old ones for spares. Never know when ya might need them again or if someone else might.

I got these latest replacement parts from Brownells.

Finally got a nice replacement mag from Midway and their catalog.
The mag is a Wilson 1911 10 ROUND 9mm Tactical Elite. WOrks great with the Kimber and the 1911 A1. I'll be ordering a few more. I like the 10+1 capacity.

For carry I like the 9+1 flush fit but these are nice.
The regular Wilson Combat Mags in 9mm extend up about 1/32" too high on the lips to work flawlessly with the 1911 but they work wonderful in the Kimber. So if you slam them in using the 1911, it'll stick on the ejector.
The Elite Tacticals don't do that.
Also found that MecGar (?) mag with the crease up the front works great with FMJ and brass housing if I polish it up a bit. I've been polishing it and the edges and it's feeding better all the time. Still doesn't like Wolf or JHP yet. The other mags work great.

Ok, rambling and see if any one has any comments.. Gotta get back on the phones...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Lots of people think there are no problems with the plastic MSHs but as you now know there is enough pressure in there on the pins to cause damage. My Kimbers and Colts came with plastic MSHs and I made sure to change them out before I shot a single round through them.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Well I had some fun this past week with my 1911s.
One Kimber and one RIA 1911 both in 9mm.

So I'm cleaning and found a couple issues. So I decided to replace some parts.

I replaced my Kimber Pro Carry II mainspring cap and plunger assembly.

I was disassembling for detail cleaning and noticed the top had a crease on it. The mainspring housing pin had pushed up through the housing just enough to crease it.

That's when I realized it was made of plastic.
Checked online and sure enough, Kimber used those in some of their pistols. It was a fad for a while a few decades ago, some still use them.
Kimber is one of them. Go figure, cheap... Otherwise the gun is sweet.

Ordered a replacement aluminum one for the light weight and looks and the new one went together like a charm, slid right into place like a custom fit and looks great. I can post pics tonight of the damaged one.
They look identical but the plastic one just did not hold up.
I Like the 20 lpi checkering on it. Nice feel.

The plunger pins were fine, but the spring had a really bad kink right in the middle.
I think I posted that pic in another thread.

As it's my primary carry, I wanted to replace it, so I did. The replacement parts again went in like a charm. I kept the old ones for spares. Never know when ya might need them again or if someone else might.

I got these latest replacement parts from Brownells.

Finally got a nice replacement mag from Midway and their catalog.
The mag is a Wilson 1911 10 ROUND 9mm Tactical Elite. WOrks great with the Kimber and the 1911 A1. I'll be ordering a few more. I like the 10+1 capacity.

For carry I like the 9+1 flush fit but these are nice.
The regular Wilson Combat Mags in 9mm extend up about 1/32" too high on the lips to work flawlessly with the 1911 but they work wonderful in the Kimber. So if you slam them in using the 1911, it'll stick on the ejector.
The Elite Tacticals don't do that.

Also found that MecGar (?) mag with the crease up the front works great with FMJ and brass housing if I polish it up a bit. I've been polishing it and the edges and it's feeding better all the time. Still doesn't like Wolf or JHP yet. The other mags work great.

Ok, rambling and see if any one has any comments.. Gotta get back on the phones...
So you're saying that your Kimber is not a 1911?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No not at all.
It's a 1911, just thought the mainspring housing was aluminum.
Not until I saw the crease did I realize it was plastic...

Gotta put a couple pics up..

Have to run, back later.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My STI Spartan came with a plastic MSH, that was the first thing I replaced. I bought an ED Brown chain link maxi-well, glad I did.

·
Premium Member
127,168 Posts
Thanks for an informative post.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Make sure you check the plunger on the top of the frame for the safety. My PC2 was fine but I replaced one once and had to take a few stokes with a file on the top of the MSH lips to allow the tip of the plunger to drop below the top of the frame when not engaged. Otherwise it scraped the bottom of the slide.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Glock incorporates more plastic into their guns than anyone, and they seem to work just fine.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the top of it you can see how it seems to have bulged up.
This is the plastic mainspring housing.

This is what I found today after my range trip. It was still cycling and ejecting but not now... broken ejector.. :cry:

That's from my Kimber. One thing after another. Starting to wonder...

The RIA Mil Spec is holding up just fine so far.

I will not buy Wolf ammo just to save a few bucks. Just isn't worth the hassle. Works fine with the AKs and ARs. but not the pistols. Well. The XD will eat anything. So will the Beretta, but these 1911s just don't like it as well. Everything seems just a bit harder, more FTE and FTF. Eject and feed. hmm.

Anyway on to ordering a replacement ejector. Might just let the smithy do this one.
Suggestions on that?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Have a smith change the ejector. If the gun was in 45acp, I'd say run it as is. 9mm requires a longer ejector and the smith should tune the angles for consistent ejection.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gonna drop it off at the smiths on Tuesday. He's got barber hours...
Depressing... :cry:

My Kahr CW9 feels so small for a carry now.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The kink in the plunger spring is supposed to be there to keep the parts from dismounting and getting lost when you remove the thumb safety. Not all springs come with the kink.

CX

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting.
The kink has only showed in that one pistol. The others didn't have the kink. I save all my old parts though just in case.
I'll check a few others.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've done that a few times and then the cats help me find the parts... ;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
You have not lived until you have searched a dirty garage for that tiny nail-clipping of a spring in the Gold Cup trigger. I have twice and found it both times. MUST be a record of some sort! Ah, but that was decades ago and the eyes today are not so sharp....

CX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts