Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range the other day and fired my first 300 rounds from my XD-9. everything FUNCTIONED flawlessly and the accuracy was great from a subcompact. One thing that boggles/cocnerns me though is the bright silver colored metallic accumulation on the muzzle crown. It seems to come off with a strong fingernail pick, but it's going to be some work to remove it altogether. I used wally world WWB and put a couple of rounds of Speer Gold Dot +p+ 9mm Luger through it but that's it. Accuracy seemed to get better as I shot, which I attribute to my learning the weapon more than anything else. Theoretically I would think that a build up of crud on the crown would start to hurt accuracy. Any ideas what this is anyone? :?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
The XD pistols don't really have a muzzle crown as you state. Muzzle crowns are mostly on rifles and is there to improve accuracy at high velocities. What you have is just power residue and any good bore solvent will remove it easily. No need for much concern.
Good luck, shoot safe. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely lead. I figured it might be after looking at it closely. I confirmed it when I was able to burnish most of it away with a paper towel. According to my friend the WWB isn't jacketed all the way around. My guess is some high temp/high speed lead plating off the back of the bullet as it clears the bore....... I got it off though. Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts