Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a rundown of some problems that have started with my new .40 XD Tactical. Please feel free to make some suggestions if you've had any similar experiences.

1) Trigger job from Rich @ Canyon Creek is double-tapping and I'm experiencing the striker following the slide when it closes. I already contacted him and the gun is going back tomorrow.

2) When using 180 gr. lead truncated cone reloads, the slide fails to close after about 50 rounds. I already use the Lee factory crimp die, and OAL of the round is 1.11" I had no problems with factory 180 gr. jacketed rounds.

3) The EFK 9mm conversion barrel shoots point of aim, but since having Rich replace the front sight with a Dawson fiber optic model, the factory .40 barrel now shoots about 4" high and 4" to the left @ 15 yards. I can adjust for windage, but I may be screwed for elevation! (The gun fired POA with the original sight)

4) The 9mm conversion was functioning flawlessly until I shot it in a match yesterday. On one stage, it failed to extract a spent round, and it tried to feed a live round into the chamber...thus, causing a jam.

I have my own theories about the problems, but I wanted to get input from others. Needless to say, I am not pleased with the way that the modifications have worked out. I'm sure that I will be able to get them fixed, but I'm just frustrated right now.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I will take a stab at 2)

When you say the slide fails to close are the round stopping before they get up the feed ramp and into the chamber or are they aligned with the chamber but not going all the way in?

You say that you are seating them to 1.11 inches. That seems pretty short for 40 S&W. Most of the loads in my manual are seated in the range of 1.12-to the max of 1.135. I have been seating 180 grain Berry's plated bullet to 1.125 and have had good success with that. I suspect that as the gun gets dirtier the short cartridges might be causing the problem.

Just a guess

Good luck
mcb

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had alot of problems with my .40 reloads. i kept seating them shorter and the problem got worse. Then i figured what the heck i will try longer and the problem went away. Try them longer and you will not have a problem. just make sure they fit in the mag.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's an update:

I just got back from the range after firing about 200 rounds of the ammo. It was the same ammo that caused the the slide to not fully close on a chambered round. (It was loaded with 6.2 gr. of True Blue and a 180 LTC Lyman cast bullet. My manual says OAL should be 1.10". Power factor of about 173.) I cleaned the gun prior to going to the range, and had no jams at all this time! I only shot about 250 rounds out of it when it jammed before, so I'm hoping that whatever caused the problem worked itself out. (The gun's had less than 800 rounds out of it so far.)

I adjusted the sights for windage, and now it shoots about 4" high at 15 yards, but it's dead center.

Finally, no double-taps...but the hammer followed the slide on at least 3-4 times this session.

If anyone cares, I'll update after it gets back from a fix at Canyon Creek.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why all the mods to a gun with only 800 rounds thru it? I would think you would want to shoot it a lot before making changes. I must have 4000 thru mine and all I can think of that would be nice is a trigger reset like a glock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't mention that I have a 9mm Tactical that I gave to my girlfriend because she liked it and she started shooting USPSA and IDPA with me. I've shot about 4000 rounds out of it, so I am familiar with the XD and the trigger pull. I wanted the trigger done on the 9mm that I gave to her, but decided not to because I knew it was destined for her.

The 9mm conversion for the .40 is so that I can practice with Blazer ammo @ $3.82 a box.

I prefer fiber optic sights.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
if it didnt have problems stock... thats the way to fix it.

seems to me that you spent a bunch of money on crap that made it work improperly, when it worked fine in the first place.

if it aint broke, dont fix it. :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"seems to me that you spent a bunch of money on crap that made it work improperly, when it worked fine in the first place.

if it aint broke, dont fix it. "

Well... thank you The Rooster for your opinion on what I should do with my gun.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
well... your title was this "multiple XD problems"

when in fact it is "multiple problems with all the aftermarket stuff i put on my XD".

you said yourself that the XD worked fine stock. you always knew the answer to your problem i just helped you figure it out. :D

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I would agree with increasinfg the OAL of your reloads. My original OAL of 1.125 worked fine in my CZ40 and EAA Witness, but balked in my first, then second, XD. I tried decreasing OAL, no help. I increased to 1.140, made sure the bullet did not touch the barrel lands, PROBLEM SOLVED. Same OAL works fine in the other pistols as well. I think that the ogive (roundy part of the bullet) is what affects proper feeding in this case.

As far as extraction of empties, I have found that a drop of oil down each slide rail groove will usually solve the problem until I can do a through cleaning. I'm not sure why this helps extraction, but it does, at least with my XDs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If anyone cares, I'll update after it gets back from a fix at Canyon Creek

Yes please. That's kerazy. You were getting two round burst fire? Or am I kerazy?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts