Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silenced America LLC had an outstanding idea to petition the government for NFA branch reform. A member here contributed to the idea that spawned the counterpart petition on the whitehouse website.

Silenced America is doing a suppressor giveaway on another website.

The Sound suppressor industry appreciates all the help we can get.

For entry to the Griffin Armament suppressor giveaway contest, please visit and sign both petitions, and post a response to our post on our facebook page.

We need you help to change the painfully slow NFA process!! EVERY PERSON COUNTS!! YOU ARE CRITICALLY IMPORTANT.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...-batfes-national-firearms-act-branch/qBq7wmNH

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/pr...ars-generated-by-the-nfa-branch-of-the-batfe/

The suppressor industry needs to stand together to accomplish positive change.

-Austin

·
Registered
568 Posts
You cant buy a lawnmower without a muffler, why is it any different for a gun.

Im very much in favor of this. With the amount of gun ranges being closed for noise complaints, it only serves to say that if we were all allowed to suppress our guns without a hassle, it would be better for everyone.

1. Less hearing damage for us shooters.
2. Less noise complaints from neighboring residents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are totally correct. Baffled ranges kill something like 16DB's. The average sound suppressor is good for 26-32DB sound reduction- meaning baffled ranges wouldn't be necessary with sound suppressors.

It is difficult to hear a suppressed rifle with supersonic ammunition from 250 yards away.

The system is designed to tax people $200 not punish them with 6-12 month waiting periods. The second effect is a byproduct of poor management of the government. This is a problem with a solution- and the current administration is trying to create jobs- well here's there chance to create some where gun owners will really appreciate them.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I admire your initiative. But back in 1934 when the NFA tax code was written, it was more of a cost prohibitive measure than anything. They didn't want people to have them. Otherwise, it would've been a 20 cent tax instead of $200, which not unlike now, during the time of the great depression, very few people had that kind of extra money to spend.

In 1934 terms, 200 bucks could've bought a lot of stuff.

And it is not difficult to hear a supersonic shot with a can at 250 yards.

The suppressor will never do anything to "silence" the supersonic crack the bullet makes downrange that sounds like a gunshot in and of itself.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I don't think this is necessary for gunowners to have a "silencer" for their guns. That said, I will not be signing this petition. Gang Bangers sure would like to have them though. Crime could really escalate if no one had to worry about their gunfire being heard.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
That's the funniest thing I have heard in a while.

I'm sure the OP was talking about LEGAL silencers.

If gangbangers wanted silencers, I dont' think a little thing like having a law against them would stand in their way. it's not like the information isn't readily available to make one.

heck, for that matter, they could just move to Mexico and the ATF will give them whatever they want anyway. [/rolleyes]

·
Registered
119 Posts
signed both, the whitehouse.gov one needs 4,546 sigs by oct,31!!!!

it sucks since you have to signup for a whitehouse.gov account but only takes a few min

so is that all i needed to do was sign both?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't think this is necessary for gunowners to have a "silencer" for their guns. That said, I will not be signing this petition. Gang Bangers sure would like to have them though. Crime could really escalate if no one had to worry about their gunfire being heard.
read up on the NFA process, all this is for is to speed the process up. all the previous requirements will still have to be met in order to obtain the tax stamp.

a gangbanger with a clean record can get one now.....it just takes up to 6 months

·
Registered
292 Posts
why is a relatively quiet gun so much different that it puts fear into the hearts of liberals and small children. It should be required on all rifles for safety.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
When was the last time you heard of a drive-by shooting being avoided because a gang-banger was worried about noise? Most people can't distinguish the sound of a .22 rifle from a car backfiring as it is. Even when people do hear gunshots, how many really get involved? Silencers could be sold freely at your neighborhood hardware store, and nothing would change. In fact, they used to be sold at your neighborhood hardware store.

The idea of a silent gunshot is an invention of Hollywood. Even the action of a silenced .22 makes a fair amount of noise. The restrictions on silencers came about because people saw them used by a bad guy in a movie and got it in their heads that silencers were evil.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Wyatt, what are you going to use yours for? Why do you need to silence your gun shot? Just wondering what a good reason is.:???:

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Why do you need to silence your gun shot? Just wondering what a good reason is.:???:

for instance, some guys I talk to on another forum all have suppressed AR's with night vision and FLIR.

they sit in total darkness and wait for hogs to show up at the feeder and each take one. the hogs cant tell where the shot comes from so they just run randomly. after a few minutes they come back and the hunters harvest more. they can take many hogs in a single night like that.

other than that, the noise reduction at ranges would make it a better place to be.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Wyatt, what are you going to use yours for? Why do you need to silence your gun shot? Just wondering what a good reason is.:???:
Dispatching coyote, groundhogs, and raccoons stirring in daylight without ticking off the neighbors comes to mind. If it weren't so maligned and needlessly controversial, I'd have one on my home defense gun so that if I ever had to use it, less damage would be done to my hearing and that of my family. I would use it for its intended purpose - to suppress the noise of the shot below levels which cause hearing loss.

I really don't see what should be so controversial. If Hollywood hadn't fed you the "silent assassin" BS, would you have such an inclination to dismiss their practical application?

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is the crapola the gun grabbers like to use to take away everything.

I'm sure the criminals really care about the silencer laws. That's why they don't have them. It's way worse to be convicted of owning an illegal silencer, than a violent crime. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
192 Posts

Are you his dad? This is America. Since when do we have to justify possessions? If it's ok with you comrade, I'd like to drive a huge gas guzzling 4X4. No I don't need it everyday, and it IS more dangerous to someone else if I get into a wreck. It was their choice to drive a Prius or whatever.

This whole you don't need it arguement is crap. The words "shall not be infringed" come to mind. Half assed support of the constitution is how the retardation in California, Mass, NY, DC, and Chicago got as bad as it is.

If no one needed or wanted it, it wouldn't exist or be for sale would it? Grown ass, law adbiding citizens shouldn't have to justify how they spend their money to big brother.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok... Let's just say the whole NFA headache is just so I can have the stuff I want and use and have a right to own but I have to pay a tax on. that is what it is. Now how if when you bought a car you have to pay tax and it only takes 30 seconds for them to take a check from you.. Why should it take 4 months to pay the taxon my suppressors? That is the Gov for you... That's why the less I have to deal with them the better.

now as for a "need" or "use" for a suppressor... No reason required*... Lol

*technically - " collector purposes " if you are putting a reason on the ATF forms..... Lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts