Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting my first ar build. I bought 2 lowers last month because everyone says when you build one you want to build another. Now that I'm looking up what I want to buy, I'm not sure I want to have 2 that are basically the same. Outside a sbr, which I'm not sure I want. Is it possible to build them different enough to want to shoot them both or will this just be a his and hers where the only difference is the color?

I may sell one lower to an inlaw who has expressed in a build so my 2nd can be a 308.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
You definitely want to figure out what you want prior to buying parts. A couple options that you can do to make them different enough to want to shoot are;

- different barrel lengths
- bench gun vs a carbine
- different calibers
- scoped vs red dot

I built a couple and some are 5.56 carbine SBRs with red dots but I also have a 16" x39 and a 20" precision bench rifle. One of the SBRs, probably the wife's, will probably get a can this year. They all shoot differently for different purposes..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found out this morning that the ar15 lower can handle multiple calibers, I had no idea.

From just a little reading I may start focusing on the .39 or 6.5/6.8.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
The secret to a reliable x39 is mags. I've run one since the mid 80s and they are fun, provided you have the right mags or stick with 5 or 10 rounders. Definitely not the cheapest to reload though.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
If I were to have two builds, I'd do a 5.56 carbine (16" bbl or shorter) and a 18-20" precision rifle. Depending on how far out you want to reach will determine what you'll chamber the precision rifle in.

I've been casually tossing around an idea to build a 6.5 or 6.8, myself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the 6.5 is what I'll do with the 2nd. It will make it so I don't need do build an ar10 .308 right away. I think I will eventually though.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have 3, all 16" barrels in 5.56 that are quite different that I use for different things.

One is my 3 gun rifle. Heavy barrel, mid length, 15" free float hand guard, SJC Titan compensator, JP competition trigger and 1-4x scope. I bought this one with a complete upper and did the lower from parts.

The other 2 I call my race car and my grocery getter. They are both carbines. The "race car" has all kinds of internet popular parts. The kinds of parts that guys with huge beards review on YouTube. It was bought as a complete rifle years ago but the only thing left original from the factory is the stripped lower. The "grocery getter" was assembled from the ground up from 2 stripped receivers. It's very basic with fixed sights, 2 piece aluminum quad rail, and mil-spec trigger.

The 3 gun rifle is just that. I take it to the range now and then but I usually only use it for competitions where massive side blasts from the compensator are no big deal and a super-light trigger is a plus. The "race car" I take to the mountains occasionally but it's mainly a novelty. I just wanted to see what an AR would be like if I built one with a ton of tacticool parts on it. The grocery getter is my go-to rifle. It's a simple, no frills, KISS gun that always works, the sights have no batteries to die or lenses to get obstructed with rain, mud or snow, and I can drag it through the dirt with no worries.

So yes.....you can build them different enough to keep yourself interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts