Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving the amazing freedom loving commonwealth of VA and moving to KY which appears to be almost as gun friendly. I am disappointed to see I can't carry in an establishment serving alcohol even if not consuming which was just restored in VA.

Looks like my VA permit is good there even if I get a new KY driver's license. I might apply for KY one after I am there for 6 months. The way I read it is they won’t accept a DD214 like VA to show firearms competence, oh well an 8 hour safety course can’t do anything but serve as a good reminder.

Anything else I should look out for?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Not that I would advise anyone to do it, but if your ccw properly, whom would even know? Just saying.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I would advise anyone to do it, but if your ccw properly, whom would even know? Just saying.
I think I'll wait until the PAW for that. I'm a by the book kind of guy. Hence why I am so active in my state's politics where ever I live. I write my state reps about once a month and go see them at least once a year to try to get the laws I don't like changed rather than break them and have my other remaining freedoms taken away.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
We here in the Commonwealth recognize
all other state's CCDWs.

If you move to the Commonwealth, you will
still need to get your drivers license updated
to one here, as the Commonwealth requires
you to do so within 30 days of residency.

Since you would then be classified as a
resident here, you would technically loose
your status as a resident of VA. As such, your
residence address must match your CCDW.
That you cannot produce if you still only have
your VA CCW.

You are pointing in the right direction. Spend
the $125 or so, get the KY CCDW, learn the
CCDW laws and be on your way to protect your
six.

Welcome to the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Ed

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^Good point. Looks like I'll be conceal carry-less for at least 6+ months then depending on new application processing time. Oh well.

You need that permit to open carry don't you? In VA any one can without any special permission.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No permit needed for Open Carry.

Also, you CAN CCDW in a restaurant that serves alcohol, provided you do not enter the 'bar' area. So you're fine in Applebee's or similar. You can't carry in a full-on bar, though.

KRS 237.110 says you may not carry in "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts