Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several carry pistols, the smallest being an XDs (4" barrel) in 9mm. I like all of them, but there are times when wardrobe, etc. just doesn't seem to let any of them go out with me. The niche' I need to fill is to find that one gun that is absolutely ready to slip in any trousers/shorts/jacket pocket and go with me anywhere, either as a BUG or primary. I've overcome my own objections to .380 specifically for this purpose, and I'm now seriously looking at the Kahr CW380. Thoughts? What might better fill the need? (Not bigger, not more powerful--I'm looking for an all day, every day option, not a compromise).

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
North American Arms Mini Mag...they don't come much smaller than that!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slugger6, I should have added that if Hickcock45 can't shoot it, I probably can't either!

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
I've got the Kahr and am very happy with it, very nice trigger and accurate and reliable. The new Ruger's seem nice with the improved trigger as well, the old ones had horrendous triggers. The Kahr is very small and I carry it in my pocket when I don't want to IWB carry, such as to church.

I'd pass on the NAA Mini Mag revolvers. I've got one and at 10 feet with the built in laser it's 50/50 that I can get a head shot, it's just so small you can't get a grip on it. And with 3 different versions of 22 mag ammo (finding that was a major accomplishment) at least half of the shots keyhole so forget about any kind of hollow point being effective. I just don't think the barrel is long enough to reliably spin the bullet. It's a well made little gun, I'll give them that, but you'd have to press against someone to guarantee a hit.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Another vote for the lcp. Love being able to carry it IWB or just slide it in my pocket. I can get pretty good hits with it aswell.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't want to sound redundant, but the LCP is perfect pocket gun for me. I am actually really accurate with it and it disappears in a pocket.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Don't want to sound redundant, but the LCP is perfect pocket gun for me. I am actually really accurate with it and it disappears in a pocket.
I've heard good things about the LCP Custom, but my LGS has been unable to get one for months now. Patience is a virtue, I guess...

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
LCP or Shield is about as small as yer gonna get. Kel-Tecs are tiny, don't know much about Kahr. A Polish P64 in 9x18 is pretty small too and packs a little more punch than .380acp, plus it's on the C&R list.

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
I refer to these charts on occasion... Though a little dated.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Don't overlook the s/w bodyguard. Hammer fired , with a safety, not that it's needed it has a long pull. But that's what it's made for . Pocket carry and small go everywhere gun. I carry mine all the time. First choice would be the p238 though. Costs a bit more. Set up like a 1911 . Nice piece and about the same size . And a better trigger .

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
What is it, specifically, that you like about the P238? As I mentioned above I'm looking at an LCP Custom, but I'm open to other ideas. Thanks.
The 1911-like MOA, and the SA trigger. Carried cocked & locked. With the Hogue grips, the P238 feels really good in the hand and gives you a good solid purchase on the gun. I had the P938 and liked it well enough, but a bit snappier than my Shield, fewer rounds, and a few issues not found in the P238.

The long trigger is the one reason that I've avoided the S&W Bodyguard. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the p238 is the way to go if you don't mind spending that kinda money. I have the tungsten cw380 that I love and has been nothing but reliable (even during the 200 round break in period) and very easy to carry anywhere.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We bought the spartan edition for my wide a few months back and it has been great and she shoots it well. I don't care for safeties but I like the P238.
The P938 has similar specs and comes in 9mm. Might give that some thought too. I don't own either - I went with the Kimber Micro and while I have it shooting flawlessly after a visit to a real gunsmith, they have a history of being problematic. With a do-over and wanting something with similar specs, I'd choose the 938.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for lots of great suggestions and things to think about. I should have mentioned that I am not a fan of a manual safety, so that eliminates a lot of options. I picked up a Kahr CW.380 this afternoon. I probably won't get it to the range before Monday, but I did have time to break it down and clean it. I like the way it feels in my hand and I like the trigger. On Monday I'll find out how it shoots. It did come with two magazines, which surprised me. I thought they typically only came with one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts