Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yessir that's the plan. I have a friend with 8 hounds, 2 mules, and a horse. Plan is to wait for a good snow, cold temps, and go chAse us a lion. He has been doing it for a few years, mostly with paid clients, and asked me if I wanted first crack this year.

I jumped at the opportunity, of course, and asked what I need to bring for a weapon. He said something I shoot well, is light, and isn't going to shred him (.220 swift is out). He uses a gp100 but has also shot them with a longbow, Thompson contender in .223, and even had a client kill one with a 9mm.

Now for the question... What do I load my .45 with? Granted this is a cat so it really doesn't take much but should I take defense rounds? 200 g Hard cast lead flat points? Standard hard ball? Am I overthinking it?

Let me know what you all think. hopefully we smoke one and I will have pictures by the new year

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
A good heavy, hard cast lead load would probably be best. Lots of people have nothing but good things to say about Underwood Ammo.

45 ACP P 255 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose Box of 50

They also have the same ammo available in 20rd boxes. Good luck on the hunt! Pictures are required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
22,352 Posts
Shooting a mountain lion with a 45 ACP......

I would not want to be that close to shoot one.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Get a good hit in the vitals and it won't matter what ammo you are using. Ball ammo will do the least damage to the coat.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could find underwood in store, not really excited to pay hazmat fees for $75 worth of ammo. I am looking for a comparable bullet that I could load myself and the best I can find is a 230g round nose hard cast, and 200g swc's. I want a flat point or a hollow point just in case he is in a dense tree.

Hst's (not +p) are what I keep next to the bed so I know my range officer eats them like candy. Shots will be 30' and in it sounds like, mostly straight up. They are pretty thin skinned when compared to hogs or bears.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shooting a mountain lion with a 45 ACP......

I would not want to be that close to shoot one.

How about sticking one with a long bow?

We have been close to them before, most of the time you never know it though. They are sneaky for sure but man it sounds like an exciting hunt.

·
Administrator
22,352 Posts
Though, it must have ORM-D Small Arms..or something like that.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well isnt that nice, thanks for the info. I tried once with powder and primers and swore off ordering ammo through the mail as I figured it would be the same across the board. Just ordered a box of 50 255g flat point hard cast lead bullets from underwood. problem solved.

Do I need to look into a heavier recoil spring? I will not be shooting many, but I don't want to risk damage to the gun.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Do I need to look into a heavier recoil spring? I will not be shooting many, but I don't want to risk damage to the gun.
The Underwood load you ordered is not too much worse than Fed HST (non +P) when comparing muzzle energy and muzzle velocity.

Underwood Ammo 255gr;
925 f/s
484 ft/lbs

Federal HST 230gr (non +P);
890 f/s
405 ft/lbs

Looking at some comparable +P defensive ammo, I'd say you'll be fine using the UW ammo as long as your gun is rated to use +P.

Winchester Ranger 230gr +P;
985 f/s
495 ft/lbs

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Underwood load you ordered is not too much worse than Fed HST (non +P) when comparing muzzle energy and muzzle velocity.

Underwood Ammo 255gr;
925 f/s
484 ft/lbs

Federal HST 230gr (non +P);
890 f/s
405 ft/lbs

Looking at some comparable +P defensive ammo, I'd say you'll be fine using the UW ammo as long as your gun is rated to use +P.

Winchester Ranger 230gr +P;
985 f/s
495 ft/lbs

Sweet, thank you. I saw the velocities it advertised (and energy is just some math from that) but didn't think of comparing it to the hsts I have at home.

Thanks all for your input and hopefully I will have pictures before long.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Sweet, thank you. I saw the velocities it advertised (and energy is just some math from that) but didn't think of comparing it to the hsts I have at home.

Thanks all for your input and hopefully I will have pictures before long.
Looking forward to it. Good luck on the hunt! Stay behind those dogs. Lol

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Ordering ammo is no biggie. If Underwood has it in stock, they usually get it at your door in two or three days. i think it was 12 bucks for me to have 200 rounds shipped.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Just use a knife.

Reactions: Helpdesk9

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Ensure you buy enough to test them in your pistol before you leave.

Don't want to hear a story in the news about a hunter that got his ass kicked by a mountain lion because his pistol choked on his chosen load.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ensure you buy enough to test them in your pistol before you leave.

Don't want to hear a story in the news about a hunter that got his ass kicked by a mountain lion because his pistol choked on his chosen load.

That's why I got 50 instead of 20. If I shoot 36 of em without issue I still have 2 full mags which better be way more than I need. If they shoot well, I may get more as they are cheaper than I can get hst's. Thanks for looking out.

I load 200g lead swc's for range work and havent had a malfunction yet. I know it's a different bullet profile, but from what I have read of it feeds swc's it should feed a round shouldered flat point. Should have them Friday, if not, Monday when I get back from deer hunting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts