Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pic of my XD after holstering for a couple weeks in kydex.

My question is, will it still shoot with that bearly noticable wear? Also, I've left it sitting out in my basement all week, and there is still no rust. WTF? Other things that sit out down here rust up nice and good within a few days.

Actually I'm glad it hasn't shown any rust, and I will eventually get this chromed just for the heck of it.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
mike+p+ said:
Holy crap, look at the rust on the frame.
You better stay away from Glock Talk!!!! One of my Tacticals I use for competition has had countless numbers of draws from kydex (about 300 practice per week) and the front 1" 1/2 of the slide is bare metal. I left it disassembled in a bucket on the work bench in the garage for about two months while I switched to revolvers for a while. Not a spec of rust. Gotta say something for that EEzox. I just keep a bottle of BC gunblue and some qtips handy and dress it up every now and then. Heck I kinda like that bare well used look after 16k rounds through it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
mike+p+,

Thank you for posting this, as I understand your point completely. I quit checking this forum for awhile because of the whining and whimpering about cosmetic problems and blaming Springfield for normal wear and tear.

It's kind of like buying a new truck and after parking at the mall a few times blaming GM, Ford or Dodge for all the door dings and saying you'll never buy brand X truck again because the company won't fix the door dings and scratches from the shopping carts.

If you use a gun at all, it's going to wear, just like any other piece of machinery, which is all a gun is. I've worn a gun every day for over 38 years, and folks, you're going to get holster wear, no matter what kind of holster you use and no matter what gun it is.

If you don't oil it and take care of it, it's going to rust, especially if you live in a humid environment, and I do. Silicone rags won't prevent rust, period, unless there is a rust preventative added to the rag. Silicone is a lubricant, not a rust preventative. Metal emersed in pure liquid silicone will rust, because I've conducted the experiment and found out.

If you shoot your gun at all, you're going to get wear. The action of the gun is pretty violent and there is no way to prevent wear, but by the use of proper lubricants, you can slow down the wear.

It's true that if the sight falls off, or there is some other defect, then send it back to the factory and get it repaired. Don't post that it's a POS and you'll never buy one again and tell all your friends to never buy one. Have you never used the warranty for any other product you've ever bought? Back to that new truck. Has it never been back to the dealer to get some minor problem repaired under the warranty?

I own over 70 guns, and not one of them has rusted, including the four XD's my wife and I own. That's because we know what is required to keep them in good shape and do it regularly. It's called "preventative maintenance", which is something I learned in the Marine Corps many, many years ago. Maybe that's the problem with all the whiners, they don't have any real world experience and think everything should be perfect and they don't have to do anything to keep it that way. That's not realistic and not real life.

As for people complaining about their particular gun not feeding brand X ammunition, there are almost as many types of ammunition as there are guns, and because of the mechanics involved, some guns will feed some types of ammunition and some others won't. Change brands and types of ammunition and see what works in your gun. If none do, then send it back to the factory and give them a chance to fix it. Don't post all the whimpering and frustration if you haven't put out the effort to find out what works and what doesn't. Guns are machines and are made by the thousands, so each one is a little different. Thank God that so many come out so similar from being mass produced. If each one was hand made, like they were 200 years ago, it would only shoot one type of ammunition, period.

With so many being made, there is bound to be one once in awhile that doesn't match up correctly due to what is called "tolerance stack". That's where the parameters of the tolerances for particular parts are at the extreme, rather than the average, and don't mate up properly, but all the parts are within "spec". Again, send it back and give the company a chance to repair it.

Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You obviously got a sub-standard gun there... it hasn't rusted according to schedule, and now you're not going to be able to get a "free armory coat" from Springfield. Hell, I can't even get them to send me a free armory windbreaker.

I think I see what your problem is, though. Is that a bottle of OIL I see in that top pic? Now you have gone and double-negative voided your free-refinish warranty! What is the matter with you? Don't you understand that in order to be uber-tactical you NEVER oil your gun, thereby proving the inherent worth in new-age finishes? If you'd have used a tactical nylon tie-down thigh holster you wouldn't have caused that trauma to your polymer rails like that.

Don't sweat it.... some of us poor dumb old bastards are still oiling and cleaning our guns just like we were taught as kids- and for some unknown reason, we can't get our guns to rust either. I guess we'll have to suffer with our unpainted, rust-free guns in shame. :wink:

·
Registered
38 Posts
¿Curious on why the "Hawaiian Anti-Rust Treatment" hasn't caught on with the XDx?

When I was stationed in Hawaii, everyone in the Rod&Gun club treated their guns to prevent them from rusting in the very salty air there. Here is what we did:

Needed:

• Silicone based car wax
    Joy soap
    couple of large pots
    coat hangers
    string
    couple towels
    couple rags/roll of paper towels
    compressed air supply(easier now with the cans of air for cleaning computers)

How to do it

• strip the gun down
    get one pot of water boiling with Joy
    get one pot of water boiling plain(this is your rinse), and have it a rolling good boil
    have compressed air handy
    tie part to piece of coat hanger and put into pot, be careful NOT to have it rest on the bottom of the pot where it would pick up too much heat
    after about 5 minutes, take out and rinse with the clean rolling boil water over sink
    use compressed air to blow dry(it will dry very rapidly anyway but this takes care of any that may be hidden)
    be careful for the parts will be too hot to hold
    apply thin even layers of the silicon based car wax until well covered
    put on clean towel to dry/cool
    when cool, buff off and oil

this process kept my regular steel guns for getting ANY rust in the 3 years I was in Hawaii, and to this day, 18 years later, they don't get rust

The only drawback is that since the silicone gets in so deep in the pores of the metal, if is difficult to have something refinished. You have to tell the smith that silicone was used on it and he has to use a special remover to refinish the part.

wganz

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
My XD has a ton of rust, but only after a lot of work on my part. I've had to rub it down with a saltwater bath and then while it's still wet, I stick it in a ziplock bag. I'm hoping it eats its way though the barrel so I can get the ported barrel affect on XDSC.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I laugh at rust and wear. As AJames says, that only means you are using your gun. Being a "combat" handgun, and considering the price point, some expect too much out of their XD. For me, the XD is a great shooter and you cannot beat the price considering the quality and warranty of this gun.

Great post. It made me laugh. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm sure as XD owners however, that the irony of calling a pistol the "Extreme Duty" when it obviously has an inferior finish, has occured to most, if not all of us. You,as a consumer should be fairly pissed off. Springfield imports it and "names it" the XD, marks it up 100.00 bucks, and still passes it on to you KNOWING that theres a good chance it will RUST! This issue should have been taken care of PRIOR to selling it to you,not after. Springfield, as a preventative measure, and in the hopes of keeping good faith, should refinish EVERY pistol, prior to packaging and shipping. There are too many other choices in a durable and cheap finish with todays technology, to let this issue continue.You already paid to have it re-finished, when Springfield marked it up, so please....save the crying about the cost!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right right right. Xtreme Duty. So the finish isn't extreme, maybe someday it will be. Remember, Glocks didn't always have the Tenifer finish (from what I know). As far as paying more for a Springfield instead of an HS2000, Springfield gave us the 5" and 3" versions, plus a stainless version which is even more expensive, not to mention caliber variety. So that extra $100 for my Springfield XD Tactical was worth it. I do like the Tenifer finish on Glocks, but it is kinda slick, as in slippery. I'm just happy with the reliabilty of my XD. I've had five other pistols that had reliability issues out of the box. I'll take an "inferior" finish to inferior reliability any day of the week.

Some interesting (and impressive) info on Tenifer, Springfield take note, (or don't, I don't care):

"The final Tenifer finish, two hundredths of a millimeter in thickness, produces a patented 69 Rockwell Cone hardness (much harder than any steel object it is likely to contact) by means of a nitrided bath at 500 degrees Centigrade. Scratches, which are in this instance no more than deposits from the other object, can usually be removed with a cloth and solvent. This matte, non-glare finish is 99-percent salt water corrosion resistant and meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications. It's also 80 percent more corrosion-resistant than any hard-chrome finish."

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The rust is cosmetic, and as such does not affect the duty of the pistol. It would take lot of external slide rust to cause a malfunction. Much like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop, no one can tell us when it quits.

My own experience is zero rust (well once when I had degreased the slide with solvent and did not oil it, which I will rightfully not count (but duly reported)).

·
Registered
527 Posts
Wait, hold on now. You guys mean to tell me or anyone else who is reading this thread that steel can rust? That is just ludicrous. I mean, how does this happen? Superman never rusted, and he was the Man Of Steel!

Also, how did this "rumor" or "idea" start about the some of the finish wearing off just because you "use" or "fire" or "holster/un-holster" your XD. That's just silly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jcrich33 said:
Wait, hold on now. You guys mean to tell me or anyone else who is reading this thread that steel can rust? That is just ludicrous.
almost as ludicrous as me explaining how it can be readily stopped not only on an XD but most any gun, and no one saying that they were going to do it.

wganz

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have rust on my nerf bars on the truck, my center caps on the wheels have rust, fish hooks, fishing reels, the latches, buckles, and pulleys on my trailers and on the gate to my dogs carrier. Why do some believe it to be so asinine that a gun should not rust!! I have no problem with rust on my weapon and I am fat, with acidic sweat, living in the swelter belt of south Texas and carry my gun on me everywhere possible!! It is called maintenance, silicone gun rags, OIL!!! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, I just wish my "rust proof" chrome nerf bars were not fixing to rust off the truck, but hey, I never did a thing about it!!!

Be responsible, be safe ... Big Jake

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes, that must be it... you folks are the only ones who know how to take care of your guns and the rest of us are just inbred hillbillies who use our XDs as doorstops for our doghouses.

The bottom line is that I have found NOTHING -- no product, no regimen -- that will prevent the XD from rusting in a humid environment after shooting it. Eezox, CLP, Armadillo -- every one of them rubbed off and let rust develop after just a couple hours.

The only thing that will keep rust off it is to douse it in oil or something immediately after using it.

I've carried a blued Colt as my CCW for years, and it has never once had any rust problems. It endures tougher conditions than the XD does, too, and gets cleaned and lubed once a week on average.

There is something wrong with the XD's finish. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't have half the corrosion resistance of the hot blue everyone else uses.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ken_mays said:
Yes, that must be it... you folks are the only ones who know how to take care of your guns and the rest of us are just inbred hillbillies who use our XDs as doorstops for our doghouses.
ken_mays said:
The only thing that will keep rust off it is to douse it in oil or something immediately after using it.
I posted my experience with protecting firearms when I was stationed in Hawaii and how this treatment worked for my friends, family, and myself in Louisiana after I ETS'ed. I had not heard of this prior to going to Hawaii and have never heard of anyone else talk about it. The people that have tried it, have all had positive things to say about it. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, the sharing of information that could be a help to all XD users was one of the main purposes for this web site's existence.

Now, if you get your panties's lace in a snit over a recommendation on how to prevent rust on firearms; then, you should seriously consider disconnecting from the Internet, turn your guns in to the police for safe keeping, and take some anger management classes for your personal issues. :roll:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see where I mentioned, much less insulted, TN, hillbillies, or ken_mays in my posts.

So, here it is: I hereby apologize to ken_mays for any slight, real or imagined, that he may have suffered by me posting what I thought was a way to prevent rust on Springfield Armory's XD series of pistols since the method had previously proven effective in a corrosive environment.

Jeezz.... Some people's children. :roll:

wganz

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
wganz said:
ken_mays said:
ken_mays said:
I posted my experience with protecting firearms when I was stationed in Hawaii and how this treatment worked for my friends, family, and myself in Louisiana after I ETS'ed. I had not heard of this prior to going to Hawaii and have never heard of anyone else talk about it. The people that have tried it, have all had positive things to say about it. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, the sharing of information that could be a help to all XD users was one of the main purposes for this web site's existence.

Now, if you get your panties's lace in a snit over a recommendation on how to prevent rust on firearms; then, you should seriously consider disconnecting from the Internet, turn your guns in to the police for safe keeping, and take some anger management classes for your personal issues. :roll:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see where I mentioned, much less insulted, TN, hillbillies, or ken_mays in my posts.

So, here it is: I hereby apologize to ken_mays for any slight, real or imagined, that he may have suffered by me posting what I thought was a way to prevent rust on Springfield Armory's XD series of pistols since the method had previously proven effective in a corrosive environment.

Jeezz.... Some people's children. :roll:

wganz
wganz- you are a MEAN MEAN MEAN MEAN person. shame on you. :p

I am a fat person. 5'11" and 240. Even when I was skinny, I had acid sweat. My sweat will bleach out a colored tshirt if not washed right away. My sweat will corrode a gold colored watch band in a week. My sweat will get into watch band and create the most awfull odor.
What I am trying to say is my sweat is acid. My black xd hat is not grey and white.
I wore my xd "mexican" style the other day due to going in a very bad part of town where our tenants were hostile to me previously. I worked on the roof for two hours when the ambient temp at ground level was 92 degrees.
My Emerson knife had the lube acid washed out by my sweat. My xd was covered in and out in sweat. I got home and threw it on the entertainment center(six foot tall) without doing a thing to it other then confirming it was wet with sweat in and out , I left it there for 3 days. I picked it up last night to put in the safe. Not a hint of rust anywhere, in or out. I use Armadillo on in and teflon as the lube. My Emerson knife requires more care then my XD after being bathed in my acid sweat.

Just remember, everything , everything, everything, requires care and preventative maintenance.

Shoot, even my wife requires a little Preventative maintenance every now and then. I just bought her flowers the other day, WHY, Just Because!! She loves me!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The bottom line is that I have found NOTHING -- no product, no regimen -- that will prevent the XD from rusting in a humid environment after shooting it. Eezox, CLP, Armadillo -- every one of them rubbed off and let rust develop after just a couple hours.
I use 3 in 1 oil, out of a can that's probably been around here for 10 years- but I'm pretty low-tech.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts