Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying different carries, having not yet pulled the trigger on getting a quality holster.

For me, the 5.11 type holster compression T-shirt is one of the best. It's not the easiest to deploy, but my XD-M 9mm is almost unnoticed there after a bit. Also the 4" wide belly band, at the 3:00 position, about 2-3" above my natural belt line snug against the body.

It's pretty comfortable in a Fobus paddle in appendix carry and at 4:00, but the angle/cant isn't always right. However, anytime it's on the belt you have minor problems. Pants start to sag even with a good belt, going to the bathroom is a headache, but quite easy in the holster shirt or belly band. For those without a trim waistline, belly bands are pretty much out, I'd imagine. (I'm a 32-34" so works very well for me.)

Out in the real world, I have to admit that open carry at about the 4:00 position where you can cover it with your elbow and access it rapidly in SD mode is the best. I have not experimented, even in fun, with a tactical drop holster. If you're playing soldier and wearing gear and a vest it might be the best there.

I've also worn in a cheapie Uncle Mikes, in the 4:00 position IWB. Close to the body and comfortable even when driving.

$.02

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Good info, thanks for posting. I have one of those 5.11 tshirts I bought new from a member here awhile back, I guess I need to get it out and try it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The interesting thing about the belly band is that it places the HG about 2-3" above the belt line so that the last inch of the muzzle is touching the belt.

If one were to just place the HG on your body at the most comfortable position, where it 'fits' against the body, it's not on the belt line, even in a 'high-ride' holster, but slightly above that. I wonder if (for the leaner person) we're trying to place the HG, via a holster IWB in slightly the wrong place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts