Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had 6 XDs. Stock, the 2 service 9s shot the best with the sub 9 close behind. My XD40 Tactical was nearly as good. My latest is an xd40 service; Haven't shot it much yet. I need to play with it some as it shows vertical stringing; might be the load. Worst of all was the xd9 Tactical which wouldn't do better than 4" groups at 50 feet. I put a BarSto barrel in this one and my best group has been 9/10 shots at 50' into 0.8".

From memory, my normal 10 shot 50' groups run about like this from the stock guns (fired from a rest on an indoor range):
Service 9: 2" from either gun
Sub 9: 2-2.25"
Tactical 40: 2.5"
Service 40: 3.25" (1.5" wide vertically strung to 3.25")
Tactical 9: 4-4.5" before BarSto
Tactical 9 after Barsto drop in barrel: 1.25-1.75"

Hope this helps. I'm sure someone with better eyes could do better. But it gives you some means of comparison between the models even though the sample size is very small. Ammo was my handloads which are fairly mild. (9mm--115 Montana Gold bullet/4.2 gr Bullseye/WSP primer) (40--180 Berry's plated/5.5 gr Unique/WSP). Always double check load data with a manual before duplicating.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I usually shoot sub-3 inch groups at 21 feet, but the other day my brother shot a 1inch group at 21feet. He was really on fire that day.

I should have shown it to the salesman at the range who was bashing the XD in favor of the USP(I think he just wanted to sell the guy a $700 gun instead of a $460 gun).

Chris Cahill

·
Registered
260 Posts
I shot this one with my XD40 the other day. Doesn't happen often but when it does, I like it! 21 feet, two hand hold, offhand.

WyoBob

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
About how far is "standard" shooting distance for practicing with a pistol? However far is comfortable first and then work your way back?
25yrds seems awful far to me for some reason

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I think most XDs are accurate enough! I'd love to have a service or tactical just to see what kinda accuracy I get with those. Here's one of my targets with a mag of 9mm shot into it from my Subcompact XD. I shot about once every 2 seconds standing from 10 yards:

EDIT: Actually maybe it was two mags. Now I don't remember.

brad cook

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
About how far is "standard" shooting distance for practicing with a pistol? However far is comfortable first and then work your way back?
25yrds seems awful far to me for some reason
When I started shooting, I was practicing at 25 yards.. cause' that's what it says on the target! This was very disapointinig, because I just am not (at this point) a good enough shot to pull that off with any consistency.

Someone here suggested I move up to between 7-8 yards which for now is a much more useful distance for me... I occasionally back it off to 25 yards just for fun, but practicing regurally from that distance made me not want to practice very much.

Raymond

·
Registered
388 Posts
I generally shoot my XD at 7-12 yards. It's a carry gun, and those are the greatest distances at which I ever expect (but hope never) to use it. Shooting any closer than that is just boring, too.

My Ruger MkII, a dedicated target pistol, sees most of its service at 10-20 yards. I've tried to go farther, but my eyesight apparently isn't good enough for that any more. Maybe I'll give it another go after Lasik, but that's a long way off.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts

approx 20-25 feet. I dont shoot from a rest

21 - 30 of 30 Posts