Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fella's...how'd ya'll mount your shell saddle on the receiver? Trying to figure out how best to tap out the metal pieces currently occupying my mounting holes???

Advice...and how to...please.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Haven't gotten around to putting a side saddle on.... still have the slip-on 5-round shell holder on both my Mossbergs (500 20ga 18", 835 3.5"12ga 26"). They don't stay in place as well as I would prefer, but it works. One of these days I'm planning to get a dedicated defensive 12ga with extended mag and mounted light, then might consider the mounted side saddle.

Alchemist77

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have a 500 mariner and I use one of those elastic buttstock shell holders. It works for now. I have been told that the side saddles are not hard to instal simply tap out the pins one out at a time then mount put in the replacement bolt in then proceed to tap the next one out.

One day I will get around to buying a side saddle, but for now , I have a Shotgun Shell Bandolierthat holds 50 shells that I intend to grab if my shotgun is needed.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Fella's...how'd ya'll mount your shell saddle on the receiver? Trying to figure out how best to tap out the metal pieces currently occupying my mounting holes???

Advice...and how to...please.

Thanks in advance.
my side saddle came with all the necessary hardware to replace the screw and pin and had detailed directions.... i just pushed the original pin out with the replacement. i bought the six round TacStar.

·
Registered
530 Posts
my side saddle came with all the necessary hardware to replace the screw and pin and had detailed directions.... i just pushed the original pin out with the replacement. i bought the six round TacStar.
yup, if the existing pins arnt budging, just oil up the new ones and find somthing to tap on them with. I used my fore end lol.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I too have one of those elastic butt stock shell holders, for bump in the night scenario it's fine and gives me more rounds than I hope I'd ever need.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Google Mossberg 500 field strip there are some good instructions on complete tear down. Must have something out there for installing a side saddle as well.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Yup - the Tacstar has one long bolt that replaces one of the trigger guard assembly pins, and then a replacement ejector bolt. It's a 20 minute job if you take your time, and anyone should be able to do it.

Here's the 4-round Tacstar on my Maverick 88, which uses the same model and installation method as the Mossberg 500.

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet--thanks. Knocked out a new stock and the saddle in under 30 mins. Thanks boys.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Lets see some pics!

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks to all for the excellent advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts