Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a Mossberg 500 for anything but hunting. It currently has an 18.5" cylinder barrel and a poly black forearm I installed this weekend. Now I'm looking at replacing the butt stock too.

I've only used factory stocks on everything I've owned to date (Winchester, Mossberg, Stevens) and have a bit of experience with assorted other brands, mostly Remington 870.

Is one butt stock better than another for these parameters:

• I have long arms and need a long LOP
  • I'm favoring some sort of "red dot," non magnifying optic (I haven't decided on which model)
  • I do not want anything tacti-collapsible!
  • price is a consideration (trying to keep this a budget first build, especially as I look at "red dots," I might replace factory bead with tritium bead)

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
I like speedfeed. Put a nice Pachmayr decelerator buttpad on to increase LOP.

Hogues are also nice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all, especially Ultimate CC for directing me to the Mossberg Owners website. Now I've got more reading to catch up on!!

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Go to a gun store that carries alot of mossberg models and see what you like. That might help you go in the right direction

The good thing is thqat if you dont like what you first get, you can always resale it

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm setting up a Mossberg 500 for anything but hunting. It currently has an 18.5" cylinder barrel and a poly black forearm I installed this weekend. Now I'm looking at replacing the butt stock too.

I've only used factory stocks on everything I've owned to date (Winchester, Mossberg, Stevens) and have a bit of experience with assorted other brands, mostly Remington 870.

Is one butt stock better than another for these parameters:

• I have long arms and need a long LOP
  • I'm favoring some sort of "red dot," non magnifying optic (I haven't decided on which model)
  • I do not want anything tacti-collapsible!
  • price is a consideration (trying to keep this a budget first build, especially as I look at "red dots," I might replace factory bead with tritium bead)
I just put a Magpul SGA on my old 500, and it is like an entirely different gun! I like it even more after taking a tactical SG class last weekend. So much so that I will be putting the SGA on all of my tactical SG's. The adjustable cheek weld would be good for your red dot too.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Magpul what if learning a proper stance for home defense you need 1/4" different lop? Magpul adjusts from 11 3/4-14.25

Optic rmr adjustable its so nice to have Atei installs them love mine

I'd also get a oversized safety

Tac shotgun lop is more about chest/neck then arms

All dots need a back up consider a xs big dot. Gets the gun running now.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you one and all. I'm researching options and hope to try out stocks at gun shows and the range before making any purchase. I've had reasonable success hunting small game and birds for two decades and am learning a new genre of firearm skills since I started shooting modified (i.e. beginner class) 3-gun fun shoots with some friends. Can we agree that it's ADDICTING!?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts