Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't realize Mossberg was in the AR game til just recently. They seem to slot-in pricewise between the lowest level S&Es, DPMS, and PSA offerings...about $700 +or-.
Anybody had thier hands on one of these? Any impressions to share? How do they compare with the M&P and PSA pieces? I really did try to search the forum before I posted this but the new format takes a little getting used to.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
They are not even on the last "chart" I saw.

They do not have chrome lined barrels.

They do not have 1:7 twist barrels.

They do not have an M16 bolt.

They are however a decent AR to use for shooting if that is your intention.

There are many who will say don't trust your life to it, but the same argument can be said for chevy versus ford.

With that said, they are about the same as the dpms and other budget/first AR purchases.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I am not an AR owner. What is the scoop with ARs having a chrome lined barrel?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Military M16 and M4 barrels are chrome lined.

So therefore, there are many who feel that theirs should have it as well.

I personally don't see that it hurts to have it, but isn't a dealbreaker to me if it doesn't.

I know how to clean my guns.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Thanks. None of my guns have a chrome anything and I have not felt that I was missing anything.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I really don't mind chromed parts. Barrels, bolts, firing pins or whatever and own many guns that are.

But I also own many that aren't too. And I've never had a gun to rust up on me.

Then again, I take care of my stuff, so... that's why it's not a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Most carriers are chrome lined. Chrome lined barrels resist pitting and are more durable in harsh conditions vs traditional barrels...

Buy a PSA premium upper and build your lower. Save money, live better, Wal-mart.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Buy once, cry once. I wanted an AR15 and I wanted a good one. I bought a 6920.

Shop around, and you can get one out the door for under a thousand.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not many entry-level ARs are sporting 1:7 rifleing these days...the standard has shifted to 1:9 so there's no big surprise there. Same w the chrome lined barrel...not to be found on an entry level gun.

Okay, so nothing spectacular or noteworthy going on there with Mossberg. That's cool, I just didn't want to miss something special because I've been out of the AR buying mode for a few years (pre-panic) and I'm back in now. Lots more players these days and seeing Mossberg show up in a search kinda surprised me.
Thanks for the info.
-Jonny Y

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Not many entry-level ARs are sporting 1:7 rifleing these days...the standard has shifted to 1:9 so there's no big surprise there. Same w the chrome lined barrel...not to be found on an entry level gun.

Okay, so nothing spectacular or noteworthy going on there with Mossberg. That's cool, I just didn't want to miss something special because I've been out of the AR buying mode for a few years (pre-panic) and I'm back in now. Lots more players these days and seeing Mossberg show up in a search kinda surprised me.
Thanks for the info.
-Jonny Y
Mossberg designs theirs more towards the hunting crowed... Bull barrels and fixed stocks on most... The are just really getting into the MSR/M4 look

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently built an AR. I did this because I wanted it setup a specific way and I would have spent more to buy a model by some manufacturer and start swapping parts. So I went with a ground up build. It is probably the easiest thing to do actually. If your even remotely mechanically inclined you could put together and AR.

PSA uses Aero Precision upper and lower receivers if I am not mistaken (Spikes too I think). They are as good as it gets. In fact they make it for many privately labeled companies. They started in the aerospace industry making parts. So they have the machining know-how to make great stuff. That is what my upper and lower are.

Now that being said you could probably build one and not have a chrome lined (or stainless) barrel but for the little bit of a difference and ease of cleaning why save 50-100 dollars and end up with the possibilities of problems later. I put a White Oak Armament match barrel on mine and love it. Easy to clean and a tack driver. I have been looking for another barrel to build a cheap close range gun... so far I cant find one that I would not go ahead and spend the extra on the barrel and get a good one. Its not worth the price difference to me.

As for the rest of the stuff ... well there is a ton of stuff out there. You could probably get a lower end PSA upper on sale and build a lower and have under what you would have in the less in it than a pre-built rifle...and it will be the way you want it.

If that isn't and option you would like to pursue then S&W or PSA.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Thanks for the information. I have wondered for a while about the whole chrome lined barrel thing. I have had guns for 43 of my 51 years and never owned a rusty gun or a chrome lined barrel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the main reason for chrome lined barrels is fouling not rust. It is a slicker surface than a plain steel barrel. But for most people it probably is not needed. But if you plan to shoot thousands of rounds through it...then I believe it may be worth it. Especially if your looking at shooting longer distances with it. Mine was setup as a long range gun instead of a close quarters gun. I bout the hand lapped match grade barrel for that reason. Like I said before I doubt most people spend that much time behind the trigger of their ARs trying to get distance out of them to care. The shoot 50 rounds or less and then clean them. Heck in the army we constantly cleaned them LOL

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
A 223/5.56 AR doesn't accurately reach out far enough for me to justify a "hand lapped match" barrel - it's a waste of money because of 223/5.56 ballistics. A simple production barrel that's well taken care of from a reputable company, paired with good handloads is all I need for my AR-15.

If I was shooting 300 yards plus, I'd be looking for a simply better suited cartridge.. Something along the lines of a bolt action chambered in 6BR, which holds the 600yd accuracy world record at 0.860" shot by Terry Brady. For a standard AR platform, I'd look more towards the 6.5 Grendel, which stays supersonic past 1000 yards, and fits in your standard AR-15 receiver.

BTW, that 0.860" group is 0.137 MOA. At 100yards, that group from a 223/5.56 AR would measure 0.367" at its widest point.

·
Registered
29,825 Posts
All of my AR's have chrome lines barrels, with the exception of my old CMP rifle, which is stainless.

That being said, the next rifle I build will most likely have a melonite bore. It's got the wear resistance of chrome without changing the bore diameter; the few rifles I've shot with it have surprisingly good accuracy.

As for the Mossberg AR's...for 95% of AR shooters, it's probably plenty of rifle.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed. If I was looking to punch MOA holes in paper at 800 m I'd be looking at a different platform entirely. The words "affordable", "serviceable", and "fun" are pretty much my short list of requirements....that leaves a pretty large field of contenders to wade through. A couple of you have echoed where I was already headed before the Mossberg thing derailed me, ie: PSA premium lower, probably a blem, and one of thier mid-level uppers, bcg, some iron sights and....done. All in for around $650-$700. Not exactly chump change in my world, but reasonable

·
Registered
36 Posts
A 223/5.56 AR doesn't accurately reach out far enough for me to justify a "hand lapped match" barrel - it's a waste of money because of 223/5.56 ballistics. A simple production barrel that's well taken care of from a reputable company, paired with good handloads is all I need for my AR-15.

If I was shooting 300 yards plus, I'd be looking for a simply better suited cartridge.. Something along the lines of a bolt action chambered in 6BR, which holds the 600yd accuracy world record at 0.860" shot by Terry Brady. For a standard AR platform, I'd look more towards the 6.5 Grendel, which stays supersonic past 1000 yards, and fits in your standard AR-15 receiver.

BTW, that 0.860" group is 0.137 MOA. At 100 yards, that group from a 223/5.56 AR would measure 0.367" at its widest point.
True the 6.5 Grendel is a better round but 223/5.56 reaches out there well past 300 in the right hands. I shot open sights to 300 meters without a problem in the Army. 5-600 yards isn't out of its reach. Yeah your not talking under an inch or anything but not to bad in the right setup.. If I can hit an 8 inch target at that range I'd be pretty happy. I also have a 308 setup for long range as well. Its no 1000 yard cartridge either but many have shot out at those distances.

From what I found there was maybe 100 dollar difference in the match barrel and a non-lined low end barrel... for me that isn't much of a difference and even if I wasn't planning to test myself at distance with the gun would have probably spent the money on it just to know I have a good barrel in there. After all the accuracy of a gun largely depends on the barrel.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I already know I can ding an 8" plate at 500 yds...with a Drill Instructor's knee in my back and a Range Officer screaming "encouragement" in my ear., using a raggedy-assed franken-gun M16 A1...mostly Colt IIRC. Not likely I'd be trying to push a 5.56 out past 300 unless it "just to see what it'll do".

·
Registered
36 Posts
I already know I can ding an 8" plate at 500 yds...with a Drill Instructor's knee in my back and a Range Officer screaming "encouragement" in my ear., using a raggedy-assed franken-gun M16 A1...mostly Colt IIRC. Not likely I'd be trying to push a 5.56 out past 300 unless it "just to see what it'll do".
LOL that's too funny! I can totally relate.

All in what you want to do with it I guess. Mine is my mid range coyote gun as well as just training on longer shooting. Plus I am fortunate enough to have a long range area to shoot (private farm) So I can reach out there if I want to ...but your right most shooting probably will be closer ranges.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts