Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woo hoo!!

Aim Surplus now has some of the best shooting 7.62x54R surplus ammo back in stock - the 1980s Yugoslavian brass cased stuff!

AIM Yugoslavian 1980's 7.62x54R 182grn FMJ Yugoslavian 1980's 7.62x54R 182grn FMJ

Other than the VERY expensive and hard to find Finnish Lapua ammo, this is some of the best 54R ammo I have ever shot. All 4 of my Mosins liked it and grouped very well with this round. Even the ratty Chinese Type 53 turned in a respectable group with the 80s Yugo ammo.

So grab some while you can! None of that lacquered red gooey junk in your chambers like the steel cased 54R...this is clean brass cased ammo that is accurate and feeds beautifully even after you ahve heated things up and the action is filthy.

Brass cased SURPLUS 54R is not very common anymore. I still have some 53 Bulgarian and a little 70s Chinese left...but the rest of the 54R is usually some sort of steel cased ammo with that awful lacquer coating that gums up everything. This Yugo stuff is corrosive...but for the money, its some great shooting ammo!

I ordered a case....you ought to do the same!

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
Thanks brickboy for that info. I did order sometime ago, I believe it was for 440 rounds (dirt cheap). The groupings on that ammo weren't bad at all.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Mmmmmm! looks delicious!

Wow! so clean! :cool:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Woo hoo!!

Aim Surplus now has some of the best shooting 7.62x54R surplus ammo back in stock - the 1980s Yugoslavian brass cased stuff!

AIM Yugoslavian 1980's 7.62x54R 182grn FMJ Yugoslavian 1980's 7.62x54R 182grn FMJ

Other than the VERY expensive and hard to find Finnish Lapua ammo, this is some of the best 54R ammo I have ever shot. All 4 of my Mosins liked it and grouped very well with this round. Even the ratty Chinese Type 53 turned in a respectable group with the 80s Yugo ammo.

So grab some while you can! None of that lacquered red gooey junk in your chambers like the steel cased 54R...this is clean brass cased ammo that is accurate and feeds beautifully even after you ahve heated things up and the action is filthy.

Brass cased SURPLUS 54R is not very common anymore. I still have some 53 Bulgarian and a little 70s Chinese left...but the rest of the 54R is usually some sort of steel cased ammo with that awful lacquer coating that gums up everything. This Yugo stuff is corrosive...but for the money, its some great shooting ammo!

I ordered a case....you ought to do the same!

- brickboy240
I just ordered a few boxes. I hope it shoots better than the copper washed steel cased stuff I have.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will! I had very good luck with this...better than just about any steel cased 54R. The only decent steel cased 54R was the East German stuff because it was not lacquered. The Chinese stel case was also not lacquered....but I have not seen any EG or Chinese 54R for about 10 years.

This Yugo 80s stuff and the brass casedBulgarian were some of the best 54R surplus rounds to be found lately. I have not seen the 50s Bulgarian in a while and still have half a case of 80s Yugo left....but now I have plenty more.

54R and 8mm are the only affordable surplus rifle calibers left. You can shoot 54R and 8mm cheaper than you can 223 in many cases!

- brickboy240

·
Registered
133 Posts
It will! I had very good luck with this...better than just about any steel cased 54R. The only decent steel cased 54R was the East German stuff because it was not lacquered. The Chinese stel case was also not lacquered....but I have not seen any EG or Chinese 54R for about 10 years.

This Yugo 80s stuff and the brass casedBulgarian were some of the best 54R surplus rounds to be found lately. I have not seen the 50s Bulgarian in a while and still have half a case of 80s Yugo left....but now I have plenty more.

54R and 8mm are the only affordable surplus rifle calibers left. You can shoot 54R and 8mm cheaper than you can 223 in many cases!

- brickboy240
I've heard some Polish ammo is pretty good too. The Russian stuff I have now is giving me 6 inch groups at 50 yards from a sandbag, but I don't know how much of that is the ammo, the crappy sites, or the shooter. I'm thinking about putting a set of Mojo aperture sites on my 91/30 to improve it in that regard. I'm also doing some trigger work to lighten the pull and reduce the crunch.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Sweet! IIRC correctly this stuff shot 4-5" groups @200yds out of a 1939 91/30 (Finn rearsenal).

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I still have quite a few crates of the 1997 Russian "7N1"...:cool:

and about 2k of Igman that I use for hunting only..

I don't have any of the 'new' stuff, except for the Igman, i only have the '70s Yugo and it shoots really nice. When we get back to work, thats the first purchase for the new year...yall better get some, I horde ammo...;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hmmmm, feeding an SVD or PSL with that stuff?

and more importantly - where can I get some?

·
Registered
566 Posts

and about 2k of Igman that I use for hunting only..

I don't have any of the 'new' stuff, except for the Igman, i only have the '70s Yugo and it shoots really nice. When we get back to work, thats the first purchase for the new year...yall better get some, I horde ammo...;)

+1 on the igman good ammo and the brass is boxer primed.I still have some cz silver tip, hungarian,romanian and yugo stashed.bought this stuff when it was dirt cheap in spam cans iirc 29.99 + shipping those days are gone:(.
pete

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 20 boxes of Yugoslavian surplus finally arrived yesterday (only 4 weeks behind due to the strong Obamagnetic field). This stuff is gorgeous compared to the 50's Russian stuff I have. Does the smoother brass help with the sticky bolt syndrome? I hope to take my 91/30 out this weekend to kill a few sheets of paper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts