Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into picking one or two up, probably getting rid of my M&P 15-22 to fund it as I spend much more time with my 10/22, but thats not really the point... my question is where is a good place to look for these in good condition, whats a good price, and what should a guy look out for:confused:

I see Budsgunshop has some listed as very good for the model 91/30, thinking thats the one I want anyway, for 109 bucks.

·
Registered
17,815 Posts
Sir...with over 2K post....why the HECK didn't you do the oh so great "search" function...there are a HOGILLION threads on the Russian Man Cannon!

Did you forget to drink your coffee before you posted?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sir...with over 2K post....why the HECK didn't you do the oh so great "search" function...there are a HOGILLION threads on the Russian Man Cannon!

Did you forget to drink your coffee before you posted?
Good point, I'm not a coffee drinker, so maybe thats the reason for my lack of trying the obvious first... off to the search button;)

·
Premium Member
12,144 Posts
Just a few good sources off the top of my head:

Classic Arms Inc.

J&G Sales

AIM Surplus Home

Big 5 will many times have decent models, but don't pay their non-sale prices for them. A good general source for info is 7.62x54R.net. Prices range anywhere from about $80 for a shooter 91/30 to pushing $400 for a nice Finn model.

Watch for bore pitting and corrosion in particular. A rifle with a non-counterbored muzzle is generally desirable. Numbers-matching is usually good, but a forced-match rifle may still be a good shooter. If you find something, post pics of the marks on top of the receiver and we'll help you figure out what you got.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a few good sources off the top of my head:

Classic Arms Inc.

J&G Sales

AIM Surplus Home

Big 5 will many times have decent models, but don't pay their non-sale prices for them. A good general source for info is 7.62x54R.net. Prices range anywhere from about $80 for a shooter 91/30 to pushing $400 for a nice Finn model.

Watch for bore pitting and corrosion in particular. A rifle with a non-counterbored muzzle is generally desirable. Numbers-matching is usually good, but a forced-match rifle may still be a good shooter. If you find something, post pics of the marks on top of the receiver and we'll help you figure out what you got.

Thanks for the video and the links guys... I'll definitely post up some pics when I pick one up, seems like they are easier to order than they are to find one to look at:-? I'm not a big fan of paying for something I cant see first... guess I might be making another trip to Lexington unless I find somewhere closer here in OH that has them on hand.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Hex Mosin Nagant Rifle

Pick Up Orders

Local Pick-up* hours:

Ammunition and accessories can be picked up on Wednesdays from 9am-12pm and 1:30pm-5pm; we ask that you call the order in between 15 minutes and 6 days ahead of time (1-888-748-5252). Firearms can be purchased on Thursdays by appointment only and you must undergo the required instant background check at the time of purchase. Thursday appointments are set at a first-come, first-served basis beginning the Friday before (1-888-748-5252). You must bring your driver’s license with you and it must contain your current address.
Ammunition & Accessories: Wednesday 9:00am to 12:00pm and 1:30pm to 5:00pm.
Firearms: Thursday 9:00am to 12:00pm and 1:30pm to 5:00pm (Appointment Only).
For safety purposes, please no children under the age of 18 on the premises.
AIM
3801 Lefferson Rd
Middletown, OH 45044
Directions from 75 North (Cincinnati 30.90 Miles, 36 Minutes)

• 75 North toward Dayton 24.7 miles.
  • Exit onto State Route 122 West via Exit #32 toward Middletown 2.4 miles. Make sure to stay to the Left when road Y’s.
  • Turn Left onto Breiel Blvd South 0.6 miles.
  • Turn Right onto Lefferson Rd 0.6 miles.
  • End on Right at 3801 Lefferson Rd Middletown, OH 45044
Directions from 75 South (Dayton 24.3 Miles, 28 Minutes)

• 75 South toward Cincinnati 19.7 miles.
  • Exit onto State Route 122 West via Exit #32 toward Middletown 2.4 miles. Make sure to stay to the Left when road Y’s.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Hex Mosin Nagant Rifle

Pick Up Orders

Local Pick-up* hours:

Ammunition and accessories can be picked up on Wednesdays from 9am-12pm and 1:30pm-5pm; we ask that you call the order in between 15 minutes and 6 days ahead of time (1-888-748-5252). Firearms can be purchased on Thursdays by appointment only and you must undergo the required instant background check at the time of purchase. Thursday appointments are set at a first-come, first-served basis beginning the Friday before (1-888-748-5252). You must bring your driver’s license with you and it must contain your current address.
Ammunition & Accessories: Wednesday 9:00am to 12:00pm and 1:30pm to 5:00pm.
Firearms: Thursday 9:00am to 12:00pm and 1:30pm to 5:00pm (Appointment Only).
For safety purposes, please no children under the age of 18 on the premises.
AIM
3801 Lefferson Rd
Middletown, OH 45044
Directions from 75 North (Cincinnati 30.90 Miles, 36 Minutes)

• 75 North toward Dayton 24.7 miles.
Directions from 75 South (Dayton 24.3 Miles, 28 Minutes)

• 75 South toward Cincinnati 19.7 miles.

Thats actually only 15 minutes from me... but unfortunatley looks like a no go because of their policy:-?

How do I buy Firearms from AIM, Inc.?

FIREARM PURCHASING REQUIREMENTS

It is Required for you to have a copy of your signed Federal Firearms License, or Collector of Curio & Relics License on file with us BEFORE ordering Firearms from this Website.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Thats actually only 15 minutes from me... but unfortunatley looks like a no go because of their policy:-?

How do I buy Firearms from AIM, Inc.?

FIREARM PURCHASING REQUIREMENTS

It is Required for you to have a copy of your signed Federal Firearms License, or Collector of Curio & Relics License on file with us BEFORE ordering Firearms from this Website.

that's for having it shipped though right?

if you pick it up i think its
Firearms can be purchased on Thursdays by appointment only and you must undergo the required instant background check at the time of purchase. Thursday appointments are set at a first-come, first-served basis beginning the Friday before (1-888-748-5252). You must bring your driver’s license with you and it must contain your current address.[\quote]

it would be worth a phone call to see whats up.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I picked mine up at a local gun show here in Houston a few weeks ago. I see a lot online but I was a bit hesistant to buy without being able to inspect it. I got lucky to find one at locally and price was about what I would pay for OTD if I found the cheapest one online (gun, shipping, FFL fees).

Things I looked for in a M91/30:
- Hex Receiver
- Tula manufactured (big star stamp on the receiver)
- matching serials (receiver, bolt, magazine floor, butt plate)
- correct wood furniture for the model (pre-hex receiver had brass tipped upper forend and the metal holes in the stock are screwed in)
- clean bore

It's generally more value if you pick one that's marked as ex-sniper, or even better, one with a scope already attached. They do command more $$$ (around $300 - $500).

Like most have already mentioned, I got most of my research done by reading up on 7.62x54r.net.

Don't forget to buy stripper clips and the 440 round spam can. I can go about 40 rounds (60 at most) before my shoulder starts to numb up from repeated recoil hits. Ammo is cheap. I found that the 440 round surplus shoots flatter than the Silver Bear. The Silver Bear shoots about 8 inches higher from point of aim at 50 yards. The surplus is pretty much dead on at 100 yards.

Good luck and hope you find one. Very fun to shoot.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked mine up at a local gun show here in Houston a few weeks ago. I see a lot online but I was a bit hesistant to buy without being able to inspect it. I got lucky to find one at locally and price was about what I would pay for OTD if I found the cheapest one online (gun, shipping, FFL fees).

Things I looked for in a M91/30:
- Hex Receiver
- Tula manufactured (big star stamp on the receiver)
- matching serials (receiver, bolt, magazine floor, butt plate)
- correct wood furniture for the model (pre-hex receiver had brass tipped upper forend and the metal holes in the stock are screwed in)
- clean bore

It's generally more value if you pick one that's marked as ex-sniper, or even better, one with a scope already attached. They do command more $$$ (around $300 - $500).

Like most have already mentioned, I got most of my research done by reading up on 7.62x54r.net.

Don't forget to buy stripper clips and the 440 round spam can. I can go about 40 rounds (60 at most) before my shoulder starts to numb up from repeated recoil hits. Ammo is cheap. I found that the 440 round surplus shoots flatter than the Silver Bear. The Silver Bear shoots about 8 inches higher from point of aim at 50 yards. The surplus is pretty much dead on at 100 yards.

Good luck and hope you find one. Very fun to shoot.

I did see a couple of the scoped variants online, quite pricey... and I'm actually thinking about customizing the one I get with a floated thumbhole stock and adding a scope, so I'm more looking for a nice base model to build up instead of one that already costs as much as I want to put into it. The place where I got my laminated thumbhole stock (Boyds) for my 10/22 also has a custom one for Mosin Nagants for around 90 bucks... I know some people will probably think its heresy to swap the original stock out though:shock:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Firearms can be purchased on Thursdays by appointment only and you must undergo the required instant background check at the time of purchase. Thursday appointments are set at a first-come, first-served basis beginning the Friday before (1-888-748-5252). You must bring your driver’s license with you and it must contain your current address.[\quote]

it would be worth a phone call to see whats up.
Yeah, it seems to be a bit confusing... they state you cant place an order with them unless you have a FFL or the Curio license, and that you must make an appointment to pick one up, but that you can pick one up with the background check... :confused:

Guess I'll make a phone call to clarify WTF they are talking about lol;)a

·
Registered
668 Posts

Yeah, it seems to be a bit confusing... they state you cant place an order with them unless you have a FFL or the Curio license, and that you must make an appointment to pick one up, but that you can pick one up with the background check... :confused:

Guess I'll make a phone call to clarify WTF they are talking about lol;)a
They just need to know the FFL that you are having it shipped to. Usually they have a bunch of FFL's on file and if they do not have your's you need to have your FFL contact them with there info. C&R license holders need to mail a copy of there license to them, not sure if they except a scanned email copy :confused:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found a place nearby that has the hex receiver 91/30 in stock for 100 bucks... heading there momentarily to get one!! Pics to follow tonight when I get back =)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
698 Posts
+1 for Classic Arms....got one from them about 2 months ago for 89.99 and it is in great shape....Tula with matching serial numbers hex receiver....second gun i have bought from them and both times the products were perfect! Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts