Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Forget cabellas They are ugly as **** there... If your going to order online go to AIM Surplus Home

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
oh and it says you need a "FFL Dealer/03 Collector License Required" what is that:?:
They are two different levels of Federal Firearms License. An FFL 01 license is required to deal in/transfer arms (buy, sell); an FFL 03 (AKA "Curio & Relic" license) allows a person to take direct transfer of weapons designated as a curio or relic; it does not permit you to engage in the business of buying & selling. Here's a thread on that topic, as well as the process to obtain the license. I hold an FFL 03 license... best $30 I ever spent... the cost was covered with my first C&R purchase.

Boiling it all down, unless you hold either of these two licenses, you cannot take direct receipt of a weapon from a seller (exception: private, face-to-face transfers between buyer & seller within the same state; assumes compliance with any state requirements as well). As you are a non-FFL 01/non-FFL 03, any commercial seller has to ship to your local FFL, who then - after completing certain paperwork - transfers ownership of the weapon to you.

ETA: you can do a google search on FFL dealers in your area, and contact a few to get an idea what they charge for the transfer. Often, your local gun shop will be happy to act as your FFL if they don't sell what you're looking to buy. FFLs typically charge anywhere from $15 to $50, up to $100 dollars for their service, depending on your area, how many FFLs compete for the business, and if they want to squeeze the customer for every dime they can get away with. ;) My old local gun shop used to charge $50... but this was in a big city region of NE Illinois; my current local FFL - a neighbor - charges $25.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
thanks where or how would you get the licence and about how long would it take
I'd say skip trying to get one and go with buds gunshop. They have a FFL dealer locator on their site, free s&h and they have good prices. Also they show the current fee of the FFL dealer of your choice. GL!!!

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
thanks where or how would you get the licence and about how long would it take
Read the provided link; took about four weeks for me.

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
even the places that don't really have a store, will still sell in person from my experiences.

I thinks Bud's does have a real store in Ohio somewhere.

I've got a HS buddy with a FFL who gives me a deal, so it would take a few orders to come out ahead if I were to get my C&R, plus then I'd have all the C&R restriction and responsibilitys when it came to selling or messing with the guns. No thanks

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
... if I were to get my C&R, plus then I'd have all the C&R restriction and responsibilitys when it came to selling or messing with the guns....
C&R records keeping is really not so bad... no worse than what you'd probably do even without holding a C&R. I have always kept a record of my firearms, date purchased, where purchased, serial number and description. Same for the firearms I sold. If - for no other reason - insurance purposes. The very same records satisfy the C&R records keeping requirements. As to C&R "restrictions"... there really aren't any that I can think of... I'm free to purchase directly, and receive direct shipment of, any weapon designated a curio or relic. I can sell - privately - any weapon I own, C&R or not, same as before, provided I comply with my state's requirements for private sales.

Once I make back the $30 cost of the C&R license, by avoiding the cost of an FFL transfer or two, I'm ahead of the game... and I get stuff shipped right to my door!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts