Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of turning my Mosin Nagant into a "cheap sniper rifle", if you will. Monte Carlo stock, bed the barrel, mount a 1913 rail, and a set of bipods. Anyone else tried this? Have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
ehhhhh

I think it would be a cool project, but...

I would think you would have to start with a really, really, really fresh Mosin Nagant to begin with. Because of the corrosive nature of comm-block ammunition, Mosins typically have really frosty bores. For the most part, they make for great range plinkers, and I'd even feel comfortable taking a deer with one. But, as a precision rifle, I think the cost to make one sing would be not worth it unless you were trying to go with a unique project.

I think for the cost, you could get your hands on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical, but some decent low end (read cheaper) optic on it, and get better perfromance.

Please, don't mistake what I am saying next as being snobbish.
When building a precision rifle, go precision or go home. You don't need the top dollar gear to obtain extremely respectable levels of precision, but you should do it right, and you do get what you pay for.

As a blue sky project, the Mosin would be neat. For example: Start with the stock, test shoot, chart the performance, and then do the next modification. After the next modificaion, shoot another group and chart the performance. Etc. etc.

In my opinion, I'd take the money you owuld have wrapped up in a low level project, and sink that into one of those Mosin Nagant sniper clones and enjoy that!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ehhhhh

I would think you would have to start with a really, really, really fresh Mosin Nagant to begin with. Because of the corrosive nature of comm-block ammunition, Mosins typically have really frosty bores. For the most part, they make for great range plinkers, and I'd even feel comfortable taking a deer with one. But, as a precision rifle, I think the cost to make one sing would be not worth it unless you were trying to go with a unique project.

I think for the cost, you could get your hands on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical, but some decent low end (read cheaper) optic on it, and get better perfromance.

When building a precision rifle, go precision or go home. You don't need the top dollar gear to obtain extremely respectable levels of precision, but you should do it right, and you do get what you pay for.

As a blue sky project, the Mosin would be neat. For example: Start with the stock, test shoot, chart the performance, and then do the next modification. After the next modificaion, shoot another group and chart the performance. Etc. etc.

In my opinion, I'd take the money you owuld have wrapped up in a low level project, and sink that into one of those Mosin Nagant sniper clones and enjoy that!

I'm not really thinking "precision" per say, but just something to play with. The goal would be a fun gun. I'm currently making a list of parts to build a real precision gun built off of a 700 or model 70 action. I guess I should have put that in the original post.... Lol.

Another thing I've thought of is making it a "scout" type rifle. A little long, but would remove the need for a bent bolt.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. I saw video on Youtube a while back of a guy in Nevada with a scoped 91/30 ringing a gong at 900 yards 3 out of 5 shots. Bullet drop on the shot was like 32 feet. If you get one with a crispy bore and good crown it'll do it's part if you do yours. Keep us posted. :cool:

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Vasili Zaitsev reputedly made three kills of 800 meters during late September 1942 action in the Battle of Stalingrad… using a standard issue M91/30 (iron sights). After he achieved this sniping feat, he was "rewarded" by getting issued a select sniper-version Mosin-Nagant, plus the Soviet 'Medal for Valor.'

The Finn Simo Häyhä is credited with killing 542 (confirmed) Soviet soldiers using his M28 Mosin–Nagant. Sources put the number at 705, unconfirmed. All these were using iron sights.

Of course, the rifles these guys used were much newer back then! ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, When I was much younger I did this project with a nagant rifle.
First I cut the stock back to give it a sporter look and feel. Next I re-crowned the barrel using a brass screw and valve lapping compound. Next I bedded the action and about 2 inches of the barrel. The rifle was very accurate at long distance. I would put the ladder sight up as far as it would go and shoot down a railroad track to a big white washed rock. I honestly don't know how far it was perhaps a 1000 yards or more/less. I would keep all the shots in about 2 foot area as far as I remember, not bad for iron sights and military ammo. Try to find one with matching numbers and a decent barrel, jb paste the bore and have fun.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Russian man cannon is anything but a sniper weapon! Especially a milsurp NON sniper variant...

You would be better off getting something more modern in a more modern caliber...thus you could load your own loads..control its quality...

You could probably tweak it out...work on it and get decent shots...but it would be easier in the long run to go with a modern rifle

If you are hell bent on it..go for it...don't let ney sayers slow ya down

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
For the same amount of money you could buy a cheap Remington 700 pkg and get far better results in a more modern caliber, with better ergonomics and less weight. The Mosins are fine collectors pieces and cheap shooters if you're into WWII militaria but as far as a modern weapon they're an anachronism.

It can be done, but I'm willing to bet youd have more fun with something more modern and you'd have something practical as well

·
Registered
324 Posts
ehhhhh

This is exactly as he says it. I have tried, at ridiculous cost, time, ammunition, and frustration to turn several venerable battle rifles into tack drivers.

I thought I've succeeded a couple of times.

I could have taken the money I spent and bought one new hunting/tactical rifle for every rifle I owned, AND kept the original battle rifles.

Don't do it. You can't polish a turd. Just buy a Rem 700 and call it "quits."

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
This is exactly as he says it. I have tried, at ridiculous cost, time, ammunition, and frustration to turn several venerable battle rifles into tack drivers.

I thought I've succeeded a couple of times.

I could have taken the money I spent and bought one new hunting/tactical rifle for every rifle I owned, AND kept the original battle rifles.

Don't do it. You can't polish a turd. Just buy a Rem 700 and call it "quits."

You can do poor man accurizing...but don't expect anything better than minute of badguy chest at 100 yards

The Box O' Truth - Curio and Relic (C&R) Firearms (Pistols and Military Surplus Rifles)

Educational Zone #63 - Corking a Mosin Rifle to Improve Accuracy - Page 1

Educational Zone #75 - Bedding a Rifle Stock - Page 1

I actually id the poor mans barrel bedding...it worked good...barrel/frame tight in the action..no wobble at all....problem with it was...I took to to the range...couldn't hit ANYTHING at 100 yards...no hits on the paper at all...anywhere...I am hoping wherever the bullets hit..they were hitting in the same spot!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I do have to say this about my SPS - it didn't get well under 1 MOA (.35 MOA!!) until I loaded the bullets looooooog, like into the rifling or 10 thousandths off. There's a LOT of freebore in these rifles as Remington is very conservative these days. Rounds loaded this long = can't feed from magazine, unless you have new bottom metal and have a smith fix your feedramp.

·
Registered
620 Posts
What I did to my rifle...
I replaced the stock with the ATI black stock (which leaves some to be desired). I polished my sear which makes a substantial difference in how clean the trigger pulls and breaks.

I didn't want to spend a ton on a "kit" to mount a scope, so instead I bought a weaver scope base that was close to the length I needed. I mounted the base on the receiver, which in the end was a lot harder than you might expect. I have a round receiver, and at least on my gun, the receiver tapers, so if you mount the base directly to the receiver as-is, it won't be parallel to the axis of the barrel. I ended up tapering the underside of the scope base to match the taper of the receiver. Not an easy process, but I was able to do it. I decided to use slightly larger screws than was provided, so I milled larger holes and counterbores in the scope base to accommodate the larger screws. This provided a solid scope base to mount the scope to.

The bolt handle I modified by cutting it off and then welded on a 3/8 bend bolt handle that I made. I reused the bolt knob that was on the original rifle and threaded that onto the end of my new bolt handle.

I wouldn't recommend this work unless you are very confident in your machinist / gun smith abilities. I'm not sure how many hours it took me to get this done... but I wouldn't be surprised if I was in the 40ish hour range. It's fun to do, but can very easily become frustrating.

And the result! I've only shot this a couple times at any distance. I shot this at about 75 yards and was able to produce a 0.460" 5 shot group using Silver Bear ammo. I'm debating whether I want to reload for this caliber or not since it would be fairly expensive to buy ammo with brass casings, compared to mil-surp ammo.

Money I have in this project thus far:
$110 - Rifle
$60 - ATI Stock
$5 - Scope base
$5 - Misc hardware for mounting the base and making the bolt handle
$70 - Scope from Walmart
$20 - Bipod

Total is about $270 (190 without scope and bipod). Not bad for an inexpensive rifle with some blood, sweat, and Hoppes #9.

My biggest hangup right now is whether to reload for this caliber or not. Brass cartridges are not cheap compared to buying bulk brass for other calibers. I haven't found any place that sells brass for this caliber that is reasonably priced. This is where I'm thinking the cost factor might swing the pendulum.:sad: If this were a .308 gun, I could buy brass and reload more inexpensively, ultimately making it a cheaper route to go.

My suggestion, although I've put a lot of time into this project, would be to buy a rifle chambered in a caliber that is more readily available. These are my 2 cents. It is a fun gun to shoot, don't get me wrong, but I am hitting a brick wall with the ammo end of the deal.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
well damn! i wonder how that thing groups!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts