Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repeat of the URL, I don't read all the posts on this forum about the .45 GAP. This was sent to me by a friend, so thought I'd pass it along for those interested. Seems there are more than just two guns chambered for the cartridge these days.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/petej/

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Interesting, but still...if you're like me and heavily invested in the 1911 and the 45acp - there's little motivation to buy anything in 45GAP.

I guess to the kids and new shooters...this is worth jumping up and down for, but to those of us older farts that were weened on the 1911...it brings nothing new to the table and its hard to get that excited about this round.

Hell, some of us are just getting used to the 40SW!

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
179 Posts
I guess it's like the .308 Winchester. I have a .30-06 so I don't need one, but if I were buying new, I'd consider it to get the shorter action. What I can't understand is the amount of angry comments these kinds of product introductions generate. (I'm speaking generally, not about this particular thread.) If Gaston wants to produce a new cartridge, cool for him; if I owned a gun company I'd probably introduce the .499 Ron's Patented Buffalo Stomper MKII or something equally usefull.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Well the new 1911 micro compact 45gap is a vary nice weapon. There is a noticable difference in the grip and it only makes the 1911 feel better. I agree the 45 gap wont be for every one, but is a nice option in the smaller grip.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I don't knw if the 308/30-06 analogy is totally valid.

True, the 308 was brought out to take the place of the 30-06, but the 30-06 has more longrange energy than the 308. It can also launch the bigger 225 grain bullets, making it more versatile. Thus, the 30-06 is not really surpassed or made obsolete by the introduction of the 308.

The 45GAP is ballistically very similar to the 45acp. They literally will do the same thing. The only advantage to the 45GAP came ot hte gunmakers - they did not have to re-design their 40/9mm frames to take the 45 caliber round.

So...if you already have a 1911, Sig 220 or whatever in 45acp, I fail to see what advantages this brings to the table. Like the 357 Sig, its a niche product.

-Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I guess to the kids and new shooters
Well!...I ain't a kid or a new shooter by quite a stretch, but the new offering intrigues me. I don't have a 1911 to get it mixed up with! :)

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Frenchy I thought you had a 1911 commander of some sort?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
magnumize said:
Frenchy I thought you had a 1911 commander of some sort?
I did...but I traded it. Got my CCW gun and other goodies in the deal.

·
Registered
758 Posts
He he.....Just wait for the stink after some company puts out a 1911 style pistol in GAP. It is going to be a hoot. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
1911 in a 45 crap damn anit gonna be funny.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hate to admit it, but I think its going to hang in there,, hell I was one of them that called the 357sig, a white elephant :wink:

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Actually the 1911 45gap feels damn good, and in the moicro compact the pistols even better on weight and concealability.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got both, 45 gap and acp. A Glock 37 gap, and a Sig P220 acp.(the price on the Sig was too good to pass up!) My preferences lean a bit more to the Glock, but my wife loves the Sig. I my own highly un-scientific testing using a borrowed gun rest, I found the gap gave me SLIGHTLY closer groups at 15 yards.Not a huge difference, but then again, I don't do these types of tests for a living either. Margin of error is huge. All in all, the acp has a long and favorable history. Gap might be like that in years to come, but you still gotta respect the elders!
Just my $.02

·
Registered
256 Posts
RonS said:
What I can't understand is the amount of angry comments these kinds of product introductions generate. (I'm speaking generally, not about this particular thread.) If Gaston wants to produce a new cartridge, cool for him; if I owned a gun company I'd probably introduce the .499 Ron's Patented Buffalo Stomper MKII or something equally usefull.
I agree. Why do the 45ACP crowd hate a new round so much? I don't think they have to worry.

·
Registered
416 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Well the new 1911 micro compact 45gap is a vary nice weapon. There is a noticable difference in the grip and it only makes the 1911 feel better. I agree the 45 gap wont be for every one, but is a nice option in the smaller grip.
Come on!!!! You're talking about a tenth of an inch for crying out loud! How much difference can that make????

·
Registered
149 Posts
so if i own a 4'' service model i should be able to get a drop in barrel for 9mm.

what would i need to shoot the 45gap?

new slide and barrel??

Could you possible have three guns in one package?!?!?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts