Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here is the deal... Help me find a solution to this one.
This is part of an e-mail that I sent a friend on this subject.....
Read and I think you will understand....

I thought you might want to know what some of the gun companies are doing to show their support for the troops deployed overseas. I have attached a flyer that is going around in Country of the offer that Para-Ordinance is making to those of us deployed with the 101st.
customized, coyote brown Nite-Tac .45’s with 101st engravings on it to commemorate our tour here [I got to figure out posting pictures]

I think every member of the gun buying public should know about this company’s deal to the troops. I don’t think anybody can argue with the price. I honestly don’t know how Para-Ord is making anything off this deal ($725.00) … I mean this thing is coming with another $150 worth of magazines besides all the other features…..While Para-Ordinance is not the only company making such an offer, they by far are offering the best discount to the troops. Maybe some of the gun buying public will like to keep this in mind when deciding on their next purchase….

While I have read mixed reviews of Para-Ord and their high-capacity double actions, I have already placed my order for one of these. My quandary is whether or not I want to buy the second one so I have a brace with consecutive numbers….The problem is If I do this, I am probably going to have to justify it to the wife by getting rid of some of my other handguns - or the wife.

I have a COLT 1911 which is one of the first 5000 the Army bought (this is the gun of your oft expressed dreams and a story for another time but I got it at a gun show for $375 with the original two-tone magazine).
A Springfield Armory GI 1911A1
A Springfield XD-45 (new in the box never fired, deployed before I have had the chance)
A Charles Daly DDA-45
A Ruger Security-Six in 357
A S&W469 in 9mm
A Taurus P-92 (old style with the mag release at the base of the handle)
2 Bulgarian Makarovs
A half dozen 22’s of various makes……

I see advantages of having multiple guns which use the same magazines (unlike my current eclectic collection which is basically a dog from every village).
The question is, what do I give up for the second Nite-Tac?

All in All, I think I better keep the wife because I know I couldn't do any better. I got the better end of that deal by far and she ain’t figured it out yet so I don’t want to encourage her to start thinkin’ about it! ;-)

The Colt is pretty much off the table for obvious reasons (Well if someone wants to get ridiculous I guess it would find a new home).
There is no paper tying me to the Ruger or the Taurus.
The 469 was the gun I bought when I graduated from the Military Academy with gift money and I like the idea of at least One 9MM…
The Mak’s are great little carry guns.
I like the Daly and have carried it a bit.
That leaves the Springfields…… The 1911 is a trusted friend and I have been thinking of doing some living history/re-enacting…..
That leaves it to the XD-45… I like that bad boy but I just don’t know.

What do you think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have been thinking of contacting SA and seeing if they might not put a package together for the troops.....

Help me out here guys..... thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
I won't be able to be a lot of help here, but I wanted to say thanks for serving man! We all appreciate what you are doing!!!!!

The para guns are really nice, I don't blame you for jumping on that deal. The XD 45's are also rugged as hell and I would trust it even in the environment you are in now. I would sell one of those revolvers but that's just me. I'm not a wheelgun fan.

Thanks again and come home safe!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd start with these here. The S&W469 in 9mm, the Taurus P-92 (old style with the mag release at the base of the handle) and 2 Bulgarian Makarovs.

While these are all fine guns, There are many guns out there that cost fare less than a S&W and are every bit as good or better. With a Smith you are paying for the name. Dozens of gun Co's out there that have great quality.

Taurus is a brand that you love or hate. I'm the later. Had trouble with two brand new guns.
One dropped a screw out of the frame while I was shooting it. And the other had to be sent back to have the trigger fixed. This before I had ever put a round through it.
Will never have another Taurus.

Makarovs are low priced guns but the one I had which was a 9x18 kicked like a 357.
Was a good gun but DAING.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured that since I'm not paying taxes here and I am getting combat pay and it looks like I might actually get promoted while I am here.........

I went ahead and ordered a pair of the Para-Ords. A matched set.

Now, I got to figure out what I want the grips to look like. I am planning on having a set of grips made for the pair.
Custom Grips For You

I am think of the engraved, veinless water-buffalo bone (looks like ivory but not as expensive). Will have to see..... I have some prelimanary designs in mind.

Hopefully, the wife will be OK with it as long as I let her shoot them too.:wink:

I plan on using/carrying these things, barbaque guns if you will? also hoping that they will work for some IDPA activities when I get back to the real world.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Get the brace of pistols. Leave the original grips on them. Do not fire them. Send them home and keep them from harm. You and your grandchildren will have a very valuable collector item.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks ADA, I know what you are saying about not firing the weapons....

But, I just can't see having a weapon that you can't fire.....
Pretty much the same thing with the grips... I want it to be MINE, individual, unique, and NOT my individual piece just like the other 1000 produced.......:rolleyes:

I have alreasy started working on the design for a display case too. I have some time and I am sure that there will be a number of items that are collected over the next year to go with them....

We''l have to see....

·
Registered
3,210 Posts

Pretty much the same thing with the grips... I want it to be MINE, individual, unique, and NOT my individual piece just like the other 1000 produced.......:rolleyes:

I have alreasy started working on the design for a display case too. I have some time and I am sure that there will be a number of items that are collected over the next year to go with them....

We''l have to see....
I figured you would say something like that. Well, ok, if they're in the wire go ahead. Seriously, I know you'll take care of them just like they will take care of you.

·
Registered
462 Posts

We''l have to see....
You have a couple of good guns there so shoot the heck out of them. The double stack Paras are just a bit too thick for me to shoot comfortably, guess I'm too used to the XDs.:rolleyes: I absolutely love the Para single stacks and am thinking about giving up one of my XDs to get either an SSP or one of the LDAs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wrong category and all..... On top of that I was actually thinking of sell the XD45 (Forgive me Jesus for I have committed blasphemy and sinned...... and don't listen to that little Pygmy girl in.........:rolleyes:)

I was really figuring the Para's as bar-beque, go to meeting maybe a little competition shooting guns..... I'm thinking a little big for everyday carry, so....

Maybe a brace of XD45c's are in order... One for me, one for the MRS...... for everyday carry..... Have to see what the financial situation looks like when I get home:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts