Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bullets.. (2011). The History Channel website. Retrieved 2:47, September 6, 2011, from Modern Marvels — Episode Guide Episode Guide — History.com.

I'm a little behind on my DVR so this weekend I was watching Mondern Marvels and the August 13th episode was called "Bullets". Very interesting! The events that lead to the common bullet and the current bullet technology are quite fascinating.

After all the history and they get into more modern bullets...

They have a short segment on the marines that custom load the rounds for spec ops and the marine competition shooting teams. Each round is loaded for a specific weapon - cool!

Then they talked about the "green" bullets. I'm not really sure what I think of the new "green" bullets the military is adopting but they don't talk about cost... They are moving away from a lead bullet to other metals which aren't quite as environmentally harmful but also has some of the benefits of the frangible bullets to prevent over penetration while working in close quarters. Preventing friendly fire = Good, but if they're doing it to keep the econazi's happy, that's, um, not sure what to call that. Will have to do more research on that before I give it a thumbs up or down...

There is a segment on the evolution of the .40 and comparisons between the common 9mm and the .45. It also covers some of the more/less lethal options to LEO's and why frangible bullets are becoming popular. There was one bullet that would punch through steel armor but then if it hit "flesh" it would "deliver as much energy as possible" to the target. Basically it turned a rump roast into hamburger with one shot :shock: I'd hate to be on the recieving end of that. :twisted:

If you get a chance, it was worth watching.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yea it's an old episode. The "magic" bullet is the RBCD mythical blended metal bullet whitch turned out to be bogus. Basically it's a Hornady varmint round tumbled in black moly pushed a beyond factory specs no magic smart blended metal. RBCD is full of crap.

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Schweet!

Until they make a boolit that hunts your butt down...its just another chunk o lead...not a marvel.

If I shoot a marble..does it become a marvel...bwahahahahahahahaha :rolleyes:

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I've shown this to a materials design class ... It's a pretty good history lesson, also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts