Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i honestly don't know anything about the ar15. but i would like to purchase one before the president-SELECT takes office. for those of you who have ar15's, what would you recommend that is priced between $500-$700?

or would i be better off by getting a .22 from walmart?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have not dipped that low in price for a new AR-15. What I can tell you is that you should know what you are getting into. In general, by the time you add accessories, upgrades, an optic, magazines, and ammo, you could can easily double the cost of owning an AR weapons system. If you get an inferior brand, you will probably get the urge to buy a better one. It's called black rifle disease. The best bang for the buck I have run across is Rock River Arms for around $900. RRA can configure it to any spec you want. If you get a fixed A2 carry handle and standard hand guards, you won't be as tempted to go whole hog with the lasers and optics.

I can't recommend Stag Arms because of some quality issues I ran into with mine. I resolved all of the problems myself at my own expense and time, and now it is a very good gun, but I cannot recommend Stag to friends, because of what Stag let slip through their quality control.

If you want an inexpensive rifle for home defense, I would suggest a Marlin 1894 lever action carbine in .357 magnum. It is a hoot to shoot, and be fired for practice at an indoor range, is ultra reliable, won't be banned (it's on the exempt list), ejects to the side (permitting a scope), and fires an excellent man-stopping round. It can also shoot 38 specials for practice, but it is not as fun.

The Ruger Mini-14 (.223) comes in an NRA version with a 20rd magazine. It is affordable and available. I liked what I saw of it at a gunshow, but I don't have one.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Not much of anything in that price range, especially right now.

How do you compare an AR15 to a .22?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought a dpms sportical about a month ago for $630. good luck finding one now they are up to $800+ now on gun broker. I cant tell you how it shoots because I havent been able to shoot it yet but I have heard good reviews.

most black guns are bought up and on back order for months from most stores.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think the only way to get a sub-$700 AR-15 these days would be to build a KISS (keep is super simple) rifle from something like a Del-Ton rifle kit. There are other companies that offer kits, too. However, that would entail you obtaining a stripped lower receiver, and reading up on how to assemble the lower. It isn't hard, but if you don't know anything about the AR-15, it may be a little daunting. If you like to read, and can work with basic hand tools, chances are you can figure out how to do the assembly.

For a complete gun, Olympic Arms offers a Plinker Plus, which has an MSRP of $629.00. Here's a linkie: Olympic Arms, Inc. - Plinker Plus. But, I would imagine they would be hard to find these days.

Wild Rice mentioned the NRA version of the Mini-14. I have one of these, and it is pretty fun, and is very simple to operate and maintain. It handles really nicely, too. You may have trouble finding one under $700, though. The lowest price I've seen was $730, but that was last spring. Also, if the Mini-14 platform appeals to you, Ruger will be offering a couple more models with a 16" barrel for 2009. One model has a factory installed flash hider - Ooooooo! Anyways, check them out on the Ruger website.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I doubt you will find a used AR for $500.00 would have been hard to do before the mad rush even. Only AR's that are that cheap ar Blackthorne and I wouldnt pay that for them. Some shoot OK some dont, they are a real crapshoot. You have been warned

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
doable in the $700 range, if you will build it yourself and scrounge for deals, and dont mod it, just shoot irons and keep it the way you got it.

Might be high $700, and this was pre election demand/hysteria. Hard to say now.

As mentioned RRA has some neat guns, you can option up EXACTLY the way you want, in the $900.

You can order a complete lower in the $360 ish and up. Pre election striped lowers were $125 ish now even DMPS seem to be going for $200 or so.

You can get the striped lower, this is what the ATF calls the "gun" its just a hunk of metal, no moving parts, this is the gun. You buy that, and it vastly increases your odds of being able to build a complete rifle as money permits.

this way you can get in line, get the critical part in your hands, and no guarantee, but really really increase odds you will have an ar15 as soon as you have the money to complete the rifle.

i would forget about $500, i would go for a AK if thats your price range.

I bought my .223 saiga ak 2 days after election for $319

mine had the thumbhole stock.

looks like this might actually be in stock.

Saiga .223 M-Series Black Stock Part #SAI-B

my ak looks like that but has this stock.

if you want a cheap .223 thats the gun for you. Well unless you need last shot automatic bolt hold open. Or you have some other problem with the ak platform.

for the money you cant beat it.

I have the money for a nicer gun, i still might buy a $1700 LWRC but once i learned more about the saiga aks, and it was a brand spanking new gun made in russia, not a parts gun, not a rusty gun grabed off a dead soldier and fixed up with some fresh park, i had to have it.

i wouldnt mind having a mini 14, but the mags are kinda pricey if you are a mag hog/whore. You could spend more on mags than the gun if you want ten mags.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I have not dipped that low in price for a new AR-15. What I can tell you is that you should know what you are getting into. In general, by the time you add accessories, upgrades, an optic, magazines, and ammo, you could can easily double the cost of owning an AR weapons system. If you get an inferior brand, you will probably get the urge to buy a better one. It's called black rifle disease. The best bang for the buck I have run across is Rock River Arms for around $900. RRA can configure it to any spec you want. If you get a fixed A2 carry handle and standard hand guards, you won't be as tempted to go whole hog with the lasers and optics.

I can't recommend Stag Arms because of some quality issues I ran into with mine. I resolved all of the problems myself at my own expense and time, and now it is a very good gun, but I cannot recommend Stag to friends, because of what Stag let slip through their quality control.

If you want an inexpensive rifle for home defense, I would suggest a Marlin 1894 lever action carbine in .357 magnum. It is a hoot to shoot, and be fired for practice at an indoor range, is ultra reliable, won't be banned (it's on the exempt list), ejects to the side (permitting a scope), and fires an excellent man-stopping round. It can also shoot 38 specials for practice, but it is not as fun.

The Ruger Mini-14 (.223) comes in an NRA version with a 20rd magazine. It is affordable and available. I liked what I saw of it at a gunshow, but I don't have one.

Every company has things slip through quality control every now and then. Stag is not known for problems, so they are certainly a great option. Don't let one person's bad experience turn you off from them. I own a CMMG and love it, so that is another company you should look into. You can possibly piece together a rifle for $700, but $800 is more likely if you stick to the basics.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good luck finding one at that price these days. Building an AR15 is supposedly cheaper, but has definitely become expensive for me :twisted: After accessories (still dont have them all) I have spent between $1200 and $1300 on mine which I am sure will get more expensive as I add accessories.

Oh, and good luck finding them in stock too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
303 Posts
If I were in this predicament I would consider an AK from J&G Sales for $379 (latest Shotgun News Ad) Add another $159 for 1000 rounds of ammo and you are sitting pretty good.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If I were in this predicament I would consider an AK from J&G Sales for $379 (latest Shotgun News Ad) Add another $159 for 1000 rounds of ammo and you are sitting pretty good.
who's got 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 in stock for $160?

I thought I was doing good with the 700 rounds for $150 shipped

·
Premium Member
353 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK-
so say i go with RRA or Stag Arms or Sig- there's so many to choose from! so i'm pretty settled on i'm not going to find one in MY price range, so forget that. if i'm going to get one, (still fairly priced though) what's the one i get? i don't know what the different names mean and all that

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
Is that stock solid enough to cut the lower piece off or would it cause the stock to be flimsy?
i wouldnt do it myself, its not bad the way it is now, but i ma gonna move the trigger group forward, and get a 6 position adjustable stock on it soon.

its not solid plastic, its hollow, i think it would wobble all over the place if you cut the bottom part off.

Plus it retails for $75 so i am gonna try to sell it.

incase you didnt know, on the saiga AKs the trigger group is farther back on the reciever. As it is right now, if i removed that stock, there would be no room for a traditional pistol grip, ..... not untill i move the trigger group forward.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You can EASILY build one in that price range. Getting one already built in that range is gonna be VERY difficult.

If you want more info on building, let me know.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i honestly don't know anything about the ar15. but i would like to purchase one before the president-SELECT takes office. for those of you who have ar15's, what would you recommend that is priced between $500-$700?

or would i be better off by getting a .22 from walmart?
I'm in the process of putting together my first AR. I've always wanted one, but never wanted to spend the money, but the current political environment lit a fire under my ass.

It's nearly impossible to find a cheap AR right now, so I had to build my own. I found a local guy selling a brand new CMMG lower, already assembled. I paid $260, face to face. Then, through AR15.com, I found a slightly used J&T 20" upper for $350 (shipping included). I needed a stock, so I went to my local gun dealer and picked up a brand new A2 stock with internals for $60 + $4.95 tax.

So, once my upper gets here, I'll be able to put together a complete rifle. Total price: $674.95

This doesn't include mags and ammo.

It won't be the hottest AR15 out there, but it's mine, and it's really hard to find any complete rifles at that price.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I wanted a second AR15, and didn't really find that I could get one for under $700 (though there might be some someplace).

A lower, these days, is going to set you back near $200 (I just bought one off Gunbroker for $170, but I've looked and you can't really get one for that any more).

I've ordered an upper from FireForEffect (my second one), which is $688 delivered. It includes the Lower Parts Kit, a detachable carry handle, a collapsible stock. Everything except the stripped lower. That's for a chrome-lined M-4. The nonchrome version is $649.

So, do the math, I suppose. You're talking in this case about the mid $800s. I suppose that someplace you might get into the $700s, but that seems pretty unlikely, especially with the price lowers are fetching these days.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I built mine pretty simple for about $775, about 100 of that being the Magpul CTR. I have since put another $500 into it with rails and optics, so know that price can raise pretty fast!

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Stag makes a good rifle and you can build one for around $750 or so. I own 2 Stags and a RRA and not problems what so ever.

The problem now is that you would be luck y to find one in stock anywhere.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts