Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to guns and recently purchased a new mod 2. 40 s&w. While going through the first 200 rounds at the range the other day, about 4 or 5 times, the slide lock engaged before my magazine was empty and my thumb was not touching the lock. I hope that this will fix itself as the gun breaks itself in. I also noticed that the magazine springs are extra stiff. Has anyone else experienced this? other than that, I love my new handgun.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I think you are one of the first to get and use a new .40 Mod 2. Few will know as there are only a few out there. You might call Customer Service they might know about the springs.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Mag springs are always tough until broken in. To test the slide issue fire the gun in your left hand and see if it does it. If it doesn't it's because you're not riding the slide.

Reactions: daylant01

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are one of the first to get and use a new .40 Mod 2. Few will know as there are only a few out there. You might call Customer Service they might know about the springs.
I thought the .40 has been out for over a year. When was the release?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mag springs are always tough until broken in. To test the slide issue fire the gun in your left hand and see if it does it. If it doesn't it's because you're not riding the slide.
Am I supposed to ride the slide? I thought that would stop the slide from locking open when the magazine was empty.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Again I was wrong (Not unusual for me) thinking of the new 40 XDS

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Am I supposed to ride the slide? I thought that would stop the slide from locking open when the magazine was empty.
Assuming you're right handed. If so sometimes on a smaller gun people will inadvertently thumb the slide lock accidentally. I've done it. Good way to test if that's what's happening is to shoot left handed where you can't ride the slide lock. If it shoots fine then more than likely you were thumbing the slide without knowing it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Assuming you're right handed. If so sometimes on a smaller gun people will inadvertently thumb the slide lock accidentally. I've done it. Good way to test if that's what's happening is to shoot left handed where you can't ride the slide lock. If it shoots fine then more than likely you were thumbing the slide without knowing it.
ok, thanks will give it a try next time in a few days

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
ok, thanks will give it a try next time in a few days
Don't get me wrong it's also possible there's an issue with your gun but it's easier to start with the simple things first.

If it still does it left handed I'd get in touch with Springfield. Generally they've got good cust service and the warranty is as good as it gets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got 75 rounds through mine so far (just got it at Christmas and funds are limited) and I have had 0 malfunctions of any kind. I'm also a lefty, so that eliminates that possibility for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts