Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of alot of guys using Mobile 1 synthetic in their 1911's. If any of you guys do this, what is the best weight?

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I have also heard this...I personally never have. I don't use enough to make buying mobil 1 a huge savings.

I would imagine 5w30...not to thick but not water think

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I hear alot of people using the Mobil 1 for lubrication purposes in the 1911's. I think the idea came from the military. I have heard stories of soldiers dropping their firearms in the field and needing to clean and lube them. Cleaning consisted of getting as much of the sand and dirt out of the firearm as possible and lubing consisted of pulling the dipstick out of whatever piece of equipment you happen to be riding in and dripping some motor oil on the rails/contact points.

I would rather use a firearm specific lube.

I highly reccommend Wilson Combat "Ultima-Lube" Grease. It is marketed as a grease and is labeled as a grease but it is much thinner than a normal grease. Still thicker than oil though so it doesn't run.

It is good stuff. It is less than 10 bucks for a 10cc tube. I use it for all of my firearms and use about .1 or .2 cc's per lubing depending on the gun.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use Castrol full synthetic 20W-50 and am happy so far. I've heard gun butter works well but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use tetra gun grease on all friction prone parts and rem oil on the springs and other hard to get to area's. Works great. Kept me from using my walther P22 as a target.

·
Registered
821 Posts
For anything that I need grease for I use a Lithium complex EP grease that can be found at an auto parts store, or Wal-Mart.

For the oil, I use 0w-30 as that I what I run in my engines. After I change my oil there is always a little bit left in the containers. I just drain them into a single bottle and I have more than I need.

There are lots of great products out there. The free market system is great.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The gun experts who gave me some training use Mobile 1 for their ARs.
That's all I know, I'm just passing this on.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking for all I can get. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 5/30 for the past 3 years now. I use it on everything, AR15, semi-auto pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns & especially my 1911's. It lubercates & stays on very well.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I put Mobil 1 in my Volvos and Tundra and swear by it, but no...my 3 1911s see Break Free and Tetra Grease only.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use Mobil-1 15w50 on the slide rails and a couple other spots. CLP everywhere else. Mobil will really make racking the slide smooth. In moderate amounts it's not messy at all.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
This is something that I have never understood; why use car oil on a gun? People usually claim price. Unless you guys are giving your guns daily oil baths, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm still using the same grease syringe and handfull of oil bottles that I bought yrs ago, and that is with 100+ guns in the collection. To each his own.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I rub the rails down with a piece of bacon. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
This is something that I have never understood; why use car oil on a gun? People usually claim price. Unless you guys are giving your guns daily oil baths, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm still using the same grease syringe and handfull of oil bottles that I bought yrs ago, and that is with 100+ guns in the collection. To each his own.

ranburr
Because a gun is a machine, just like an engine is a machine. I don't use motor oil at present but paying $10 for a 10cc syringe of bearing grease that some custom gun manufacturer puts his label on doesn't make much sense.

Not slamming you at all. I just don't think Bill Wilson is employing chemical engineers at his Arkansas plant to perfect a custom super-lubricant for his 1911s. I would guess that those little syringes are full of whatever industrial lubricant he thinks works best, and I'm sure they have more margin on them than just about anything else you could buy for your gun.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i use CLP just because of its ability to prevent corrsion long term at least much better then the other gun oils i saw in this one test.
but for lube i think the mobil 1 would be just fine and who knows it might work as well protectiong rust, but most of my guns dont sit long enough between cleaning to get rusty. if they are a safe queen i compleatly take them apart and coat them with wax, it repels water and never runs off and then when if i want to shoot it all i have to do is either boil them or use a blow drier. sure it sounds weird but i have two old small pistols i got from my grandpa that are worth quite a bit and are in PERFECT condition so i want to keep them that way so when i have kids i can give them a gun thats over 100 years old that still has all the original blueing on it and NO rust.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts