Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have been off the forum for a while but yesterday I purchased a bi-tone XD40 since I was getting tired of all my other guns jamming and my wife's XD9 never jammed (either service or sub). I noticed the following:

I had 3 incidents of a misfire with no primer indention after firing a shot which the slide went out and back into battery, stripping a fresh round. After the misfire I racked the slide slightly to reset the trigger/striker and the gun fired. My feeling is that the striker didn't reset for whatever reason. Other wise I ran 150 rounds through the gun without any FTF/FTE.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I did a search and didn't find anything and Springfield was nice enough but they want me to send the gun back. I am thinking of just taking it to the range one more time to see if there were any "kinks" in the gun that worked itself out. I know how to take the slide apart but would rather not at this point if I have to send it back for warranty.

I would appreciate any opinions you all have. Please let me know if you need any more info.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If it were my carry gun it would most certainly go to SA. I would try another 100 or so rounds thru it to see if it happens again. It is not comforting when things like that happen. I know what you are speaking of, that a round is fired and the next one is chambered but the striker is not engaged/protruding. Good luck and keep us posted with your findings.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Kodiak PA said:
Hello all. I have been off the forum for a while but yesterday I purchased a bi-tone XD40 since I was getting tired of all my other guns jamming and my wife's XD9 never jammed (either service or sub). I noticed the following:

I had 3 incidents of a misfire with no primer indention after firing a shot which the slide went out and back into battery, stripping a fresh round. After the misfire I racked the slide slightly to reset the trigger/striker and the gun fired. My feeling is that the striker didn't reset for whatever reason. Other wise I ran 150 rounds through the gun without any FTF/FTE.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I did a search and didn't find anything and Springfield was nice enough but they want me to send the gun back. I am thinking of just taking it to the range one more time to see if there were any "kinks" in the gun that worked itself out. I know how to take the slide apart but would rather not at this point if I have to send it back for warranty.

I would appreciate any opinions you all have. Please let me know if you need any more info.

this has happend to me...

next time you shoot, make ABSOLUTELY sure you squeeze AFTER the trigger reset, and dont make any assumptions untill about 500-800 rounds have gone through the gun.

as i just said.. this same thing happend to me. my instructor and i narrowed it down to my trigger reset. it was reseting in a different spot each time. i cleaned the gun and now its fine.

if your gun truly didnt recock the striker (i doubt it) then i have no idea... ask Ajames before yousend it to SA.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Is the pistol stock? Wolff has an extra power firing pin spring or what ammo were you using some of the milsur has hard primers.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Do you remember if the firing pin indicator was showing or not?

If it was showing, then it was probably a hard primer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for replies. I was using an absolutely stock, out-of-the-box gun. The ammo I was using was Speer 180-gr Gold Dots and these are the bulk packages that are sold in 250 cartridges due to "hard primers" but I am surprised that there was no dimpling at all on the primer head. The firing pin and chamber indicator pins were both active at the time (i.e., sticking out). I felt like I was squeezing after the reset but it has been a long time since I shot an XD since I have been mainly shooting Glocks and 1911's but due to the trigger differences that is possible. It did take me a while to get use to the trigger. Rapid firing was fine. I will shoot it again tonight and report back tot he forum.

I really appreciate the opinions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just came back from the range and shot 150 additional rounds with no misfires, FTF or FTE. I did spray out the slide with Gun Scrubber before I went and lightly re-oiled the area. I fired:
100 Speer Gold Dot 180 gr
50 Fed FMJ 180 grain.
Total since yesterday: 300

I am getting used to the trigger so hopefully everything is fine now. It is nice shooting a gun that doesn't jam! If I get those misfires again I will let everyone know. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Glad you got it worked out. Sounds like you just needed some trigger time with it. Next time your in the Anchorage area and have time, come out watch an IDPA or USPSA match. We shoot the 1st & 3rd Sundays at the Mat Valley in-door range on the way to Palmer. We shoot USPSA the 2nd & 4th Sundays at the Birchwood Range.
If you want to shoot, I have spare XDs (1911s & revovlers also) and plenty of mags, gear and ammo you can use.
Anchorage Practical Shooters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts