Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with the C/C in minnesota? do we have to apply for teh C/C or take a class??? I'm Prior Marine Corps and our town is goin to ****.. i mean i live 90miles from canada and METH is liek a heat wave up here... there was a 16yr caught carrying a G19 i mean come on... I mean if i had my way i would be carrying my M249 around with me at all times..
Any help would be great
thanks
Gary

·
Registered
298 Posts
Cant do it.

If you don't already have your CCW permit in Minnesota, then you 'currently' can't get one! Last fall a judge in Hennipen County found the MN CCW law "unconstitutional" because of the way it was passed! The attorney general (Mike Hatch) has started the appeal process but that's about were it stand for now.

According to the previous law, you had to take a state approved training course (military doesn't count, I'm prior military myself), and then submit your application along with the $100 non-refundable processing fee. Once approved your permit acts as both a CCW permit, and a MN purchase permit, both good for 5 years from the date of issue. In order to renew at the end of the 5 years, you would have to go through the whole process again, to include taking the class again. All together one permit will cost you probably $300+ dollars to obtain ($150 for the class, $50-100 in ammo for the class, $100 processing fee).

If you had a permit before the CCW law was found unconstitutional, then you'ld be grandfathered in, and it would be good untill it expired. If not, just keep your eyes on the news, and pray that the AG is able to appeal and win.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's a link to the website that is supposed to have the information at/after 1pm CDT.

http://www.courts.state.mn.us/page/?pageID=145

:( :( :(

D E C I S I O N

The district court properly held that 2003 Minn. Laws ch. 28 violates the single-subject requirement of the Minnesota Constitution, art. IV, § 17.

The district court properly severed the Minnesota Citizens’ Personal Protection Act of 2003, chapter 28, to protect the remainder. We hold that both articles 2 and 3 of chapter 28 must be severed to bring chapter 28 into constitutional compliance.

Affirmed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For all you Minnesotans - we need to band together!

There is a new bill in committee, sponsored by Sen. Dean Johnson.

Text of the bill is here: http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/bldbill.php?bill=S2221.0&session=ls84

Please take a brief moment from your day to call, email or do both...to show your support and encourage a quick passing from committee to the senate floor. If this bill hits the floor, we should have enough votes to pass it; if it stalls in the committee, we're sunk.

·
Registered
256 Posts
FatBob said:
Cant do it.

If you don't already have your CCW permit in Minnesota, then you 'currently' can't get one!
Wrong, Minnesota's law was changed to a "shall issue" then that was turned over. So now you must go to your local law enforcement to request a CCW permit. This was the old way to get a permit. They will or will not at their discretion issue a permit. So saying you can't get is not correct.

Here is the info off of the Department of Public Safety

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/Documents/CarryPermit/Permit to Carry.html

As long as the district court decision remains in effect, Minnesota’s previous statutory provisions for issuance of a permit to carry will apply. Applications for permits to carry under the pre-2003 Minnesota law can be made to chiefs of police of an organized full-time police department of the municipality where the applicant resides or the county sheriff where there is no local chief of police where the applicant resides. Only permanent Minnesota residents can apply under the pre-2003 law for a permit to carry.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its pretty sad that young punks run around all nite with handguns and we cant arm our selfs........ 2 weeks ago a young kid got picked up with a G19 and 4 full clips of hydros...
now that just pisses me off

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sure she didnt just get her purchase permit? i live in Virginia Mn.. Ask her how long it took to get it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
ggwash21 said:
Are you sure she didnt just get her purchase permit? i live in Virginia Mn.. Ask her how long it took to get it.

I have a permit to carry. I know what they are. No she didn't get a purchase permit. She got a permit to carry. It took a few days. She took a class with an approved instructor, filled out the form they gave her, added a cover letter explaining why she should have one and got it. Mine was from the shall issue law and is good for 5 years but it cost $100.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats weird, but hell thats cool. if you dont mind me asking what excuse she use to get one? have you seen the paper lately on mn conceal carry? one day i saw it took a step forward but then the next day guy came into the store and said it was shot down again? were do you live?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, please tell us more....I just moved to Minnesota, and as soon as I become a permanent resident, I'd like to apply for my permit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I live half way to Canada. I talked to State Representative Dave Dill and he said that he had authored the carry permit bill again. Tom Balk said he supported it and was working on getting it through this year. You need to contact your state representative and let your voice be heard. As far as an excuse, she was attacked by two rottweillers, had an intruder in her yard and travels a lot. I don’t like the having to give a reason now. But she had a good argument and the Chief took it. Much better to be a good citizen and get a permit because you are.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fair enough. half way to canada? were about? i live 90miles from canada..

if you live around these parts we might need to get together and shot some XD's

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats Great i'm thinkin about becoming a member in the Virginia gun range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Backstay, I've been interested in becoming a member at Hibbing, but when I emailed someone for more info, I never heard from them. Maybe I'll see you around sometime when/if I become a member.

Also, on the subject of the free/quick permit discussion, I heard that the city PD can grant an emergency permit in certain cases. It's good for 30 days only though. I don't know the situation, but maybe that's how she was able to get a permit so fast.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts