Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided on making a mini-14 my next firearm purchase. However, I am not sure which model to go with.

What I want from my rifle is basically a range shooter. I do not hunt, I currently do not compete with rifles. I just want a fun carbine to shoot at the range. This will not be a home defense gun, i think my handgun will work just fine for that. The gun will probably be tacticool, partially looks, but mostly feel.

What model should I go with? Looks like I can find the GB slightly cheaper. I found one with the tapco stock like I want for under $600 which would put me around $150 less than a tactical+tapco stock. Is there other models I should consider?

·
Registered
125 Posts

Mini tactical from CDNN, Nikon M223 point blank scope form Opticplanet.

Extra mags form CDNN special 19.99 each.

I love this set up.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
At one time I was very intersted in them but then heard they are not the best choice if you are looking for serious accuracy. I held off because I was wanting to stretch it to a 300 yard gun for groundhogs.

If your just plinking around with it you should have a great time.

·
Registered
936 Posts
if it is only good out to 100 yds then I dont know about it being more accurate than an AK.

The max effective range of an AK is around 200 yds, right? After that the 7.62 loses so much velocity that you're practically arcing the bullet....

Right?

(All this coming from someone who neither owns an AR, AK, or Mini 14 :) )

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The new heavier barrel mini's are one terrific rifle,and don't care what the peeps say. I bought the ranch model it shoots 223 and 556 rounds. If your loooking at the new 580 models and you want it to shoot 556 rounds do your homework as not all models will shoot both the 223 and 556 rounds. I believe the Target model is one of the ones that will only shoot the 223 round. Just a little heads up...Bluto.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Funny huh? The Mini 14 is built and based off two the best battle rifles of all time, and the 10/22 is considered to be the best all round 22lr rifle there is, but peeps still want to bad mouth the MINI 14...

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/200203-AR-15_vs_Mini-14.pdf

This was done with the old style MINI's.

The news style is even better now days.
Really? You mean the two shortest-lived rifles in the US arsenal, as introduced in the 20th century?

(Don't get me wrong--love my Garand--but the best? That's rather debateable...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts