Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that the older I get , the older the weapons are that I look at . I have got interested in Military Surplus guns . I have 3 SKS's and 1 Mosin Nagant that is a M-44 .
Man I hate to be obsessive but I want another M-44 and I havent even shot the one I have . The one I have is MINT . I dont belive it has even been shot and I have rounds for it , but never taken her out to shoot. I want another and hadnt even shot the first one I have yet . Is this a sickness :p, or what ?
Seriously though, I really want another while they are still cheap , Would you guys say to get one or what ?
I also want to get a Walther P-1 . I had one and sold her to get a Yugo SKS , but I am missing her .
I want a P-1 but the way things seem as far as elections are concerned , I dont know what to get . It is between a Walther P-1 and a Mosin Nagant M-44 .

·
Registered
753 Posts
Why get another m44. Get you a 91/30 or an m-38. Vary it up a bit. I love my m-44 and next up is a 91/30 and sniper conversion kit. So for $200 you can get an excellent long range gun for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I would also suggest a 91/30 instead of another M44. It's more accurate and it mixes things up. The 91/30's are great looking rifles IMO.

I too have a mint M44 that appears to have never been shot. I have my 91/30 as my shooter and keep the M44 as it is unfired. If I ever decide to shoot the mint M44 it certainly will not see any corrosive surplus ammo.

-Derek

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why get another m44. Get you a 91/30 or an m-38. Vary it up a bit. I love my m-44 and next up is a 91/30 and sniper conversion kit. So for $200 you can get an excellent long range gun for dirt cheap.
I like things compact , thats why Ilike the M-44 with its short barrel .
What about the Walther P-1 ? You like it ?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would also suggest a 91/30 instead of another M44. It's more accurate and it mixes things up. The 91/30's are great looking rifles IMO.

I too have a mint M44 that appears to have never been shot. I have my 91/30 as my shooter and keep the M44 as it is unfired. If I ever decide to shoot the mint M44 it certainly will not see any corrosive surplus ammo.

-Derek

Oh I certainly plan on shooting my M-44 , I do not beleive in "safe queens" . I used to have lots of safe queens until a death in my family made me realize that life is too short for that crap.
I am just wondering about getting a Walther P-1 or another M-44 .

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Get another M44.

I'm having the same feeling with my XD45 Tactical that you are, apparently with your M44. Wanna shoot it, don't want to scuff it up. So, I'm gonna get another one, put it in the safe, then shoot the mess out of the Tac I've got. Do that with your M44, keep it put up, and get you a "shoot around" model.

I have an M44 and it's awesome. It's all man. It's the rifle that Vikings would carry.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Mosin's are fun to shoot, get one to play with if you don't want to shoot that one. I have an M38 with a laminated M44 stock. From what I can tell, its had plenty of use, the lands are shiny but the grooves are frosted. It still shoots pretty good with the right ammo. I'm not afraid of Mil-Surp (corrosive) ammo, that mostly all this gun has ever seen. I've used Bulgarian Heavy Ball and found it more accurate than modern Wolf or Silver Bear. You just have to make sure to clean it immediately after shooting. I've found there are as many different methods as there are shooters. Most involve putting water or an ammonia/water solution such as Windex down the barrel, either poured directly down the bore or on a patch and immediately drying the barrel. I've been using a 2 to 1 water/household ammonia solution applied to a patch right after I'm done shooting, then running a dry patch after. I also go over the bolt with it and dry. This is the method recommended by Empire Arms. I haven't seen any rust yet and its fairly easy.

I like the short barrels too but would love to have a good long range gun, the Finn models are high priced but are said to be excellent rifles.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Mosin's are fun to shoot, get one to play with if you don't want to shoot that one. I have an M38 with a laminated M44 stock. From what I can tell, its had plenty of use, the lands are shiny but the grooves are frosted. It still shoots pretty good with the right ammo. I'm not afraid of Mil-Surp (corrosive) ammo, that mostly all this gun has ever seen. I've used Bulgarian Heavy Ball and found it more accurate than modern Wolf or Silver Bear. You just have to make sure to clean it immediately after shooting. I've found there are as many different methods as there are shooters. Most involve putting water or an ammonia/water solution such as Windex down the barrel, either poured directly down the bore or on a patch and immediately drying the barrel. I've been using a 2 to 1 water/household ammonia solution applied to a patch right after I'm done shooting, then running a dry patch after. I also go over the bolt with it and dry. This is the method recommended by Empire Arms. I haven't seen any rust yet and its fairly easy.

I like the short barrels too but would love to have a good long range gun, the Finn models are high priced but are said to be excellent rifles.
Just as a addendum the hotter the water used the better as it will dry better on it's own. I also follow up with a normal cleaning using Hopes#9.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just as a addendum the hotter the water used the better as it will dry better on it's own. I also follow up with a normal cleaning using Hopes#9.
Thats what I will do along with a good oiled rag in and out the barrel and all over the bolt.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I'd say, skip the Walther P-1 and try to get one of the nice Russian capture 98ks out there right now. They're a more interesting piece of history an everyone needs to own at least one Mauser.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

Ditto on the Hoppe's No. 9. Some say that the current formulation doesn't provide protection from corrosive ammo, but the labeling on the latest bottle I bought says it protects from corrosive primers. I figure it can't hurt and it does a good job on carbon and copper fouling.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just found a rough and I say rough M-44 that has terrible wood and the lower mag cover doesnt have the latch attacched to it , so it flaps open . They want $59 for it . I thought it may be a good parts gun , but only if I can find new "furniture" and a mag latch for it. Anyone know where parts are for M-44's?

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
I'd say, skip the Walther P-1 and try to get one of the nice Russian capture 98ks out there right now. They're a more interesting piece of history an everyone needs to own at least one Mauser.

- brickboy240
i am looking at one as soon as i am done amassing E-veil black guns, i did mess up the plan and got steal on a FN mauser belgian made 1932, israel bought it post war, rebarelled it to .308. I am fixing it up a bit right now.

Me thinks a mauser is much sweeter gun than the rather crude mosins, i mean i do want one just to have it and shoot some fireballs at dusk, but i am in no hurry to start doubling up on mosins.

the walther seems neat, but less useful, i find military rifles to be quite relevant and very useful to hunt ot SHTF, most of the old old handguns suck compared to modern stuff. rather crude.

if you want the mint mosin, buy another i guess that makes the most sense.

but i would shoot the minty one, clean it, its not like your gonna wear it out.

buy a k98 mauuser russian capture with the neato nazi stampings, a sweedish mauser, or i like the long barrel persian 8mm mausers.

never shot a swiss k31 but i want one of those also.

·
Registered
975 Posts
never shot a swiss k31 but i want one of those also.
The K-31's are top notch shooters. If you don't already have one then I HIGHLY suggest you pick one up as your next C&R purchase. Not only are they super accurate but the design and machine work is as good as it gets for the period. The trigger on the K-31's is one of the best triggers I have ever felt. The only downside to the K-31's is the ammo being a bit expensive. It runs roughly .50 -.60 cents a round but is basically surplus match ammo.

-Derek

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well thanks for the posts and responses . I think I will shoot what I have (m-44) and get myself the Walther P-1 . Besides , my little boy likes the Walther P-1 since it is the copy of Megatron from The Transformers . I still have my original Megatron from the 80's and now he can say his daddy has the toy and the real thing :p

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I just found a rough and I say rough M-44 that has terrible wood and the lower mag cover doesnt have the latch attacched to it , so it flaps open . They want $59 for it . I thought it may be a good parts gun , but only if I can find new "furniture" and a mag latch for it. Anyone know where parts are for M-44's?
These guys sell Mosin Parts.

Tennessee Gun Parts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts