Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were buying a scope, would you buy a scope with a MIL reticle and turrets or a MOA reticle and turrets?

Why?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
If you're shooting known distance MOA. If you're gonna be shooting a lot of unknown MIL.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I bought a vortex pst 2nd hand with mill adjustments. Took a bit longer to get sighted in than moa, which every other scope i've owned has been. But it's not horrible once you get a ballistic calculater and some experience with it under your belt. With that said, i'd trade it for an moa version in a heart beat. Seems so much simpler to me.

·
Registered
907 Posts

Because the Mil reticle gives you the ability to estimate range to a target at an unknown distance, and its easier to remember your come-ups / adjustments in 2 digits instead of 4 digits.

For example:

.308 Fed Match 175 gr SMK 2700 fps

675 yards, Elevation adjustment would be,

20.25 MOA
vs
5.9 MILS

Whatever you choose, make sure the turrets match the reticle. ( MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA )

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I tried to switch over from MOA to MIL and just couldn't get away from thinking in inches and feet. Another factor are the people you shoot with. If the guy spotting for you is yelling out feet and inches and your scope is in MILs you will have some extra thinking to do if you are on the clock.

Agree with above though. If you are shooting known distances and aren't shooting matches or having others spot for you it really doesn't matter and you might as well stay with MOA.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have one mil mil scope, everything else is moa. And really the only problem i had was getting it sighted in, messed with me too! But once i did i just use strelock pro on my phone to make all my come ups and I'm typically good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts