Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I may be moving in with my girl and I will NOT keep my XD at her place because she has an 8 year old boy and I refuse to risk it...that and I could use the money for other things and I've been thinking about this a lot, and I may just have to part ways with my XD. I bought it new like 6-7 months ago and it was my first gun purchase so I thought I'd ask the XD community the best ways to look into selling it. It's a 9mm service model all black, original case and accessories, and I have a Glock laser/flashlight combo (which I could easily just sell on eBay). Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts
Don't move in with the girlfriend, if you have to get rid of your piece.

But, if you must sell it, try the forums. They are a good place to sell a gun, if the price is right. A dealer will fleece you.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Don't sell it, get a firesafe to put it in or one of the holsters that have a hole for a lock to be attached so the gun can't be drawn from the holster. I've been searching for a few min and can't find it, maybe another member can help with that one. If you're worried about the child being curious, why not educate the child and teach them about it? While I'm not saying at what age a child should fire a weapon (mine will be firing a few years earlier, with aid) teaching them to safely handle the firearm and showing them what it could do(pull the trigger, round flies out and hits something concept) might help. I would think if you educate the child about it there will not be any question as to what to do and how to handle the gun if the child encounters it in the house. This is all just my opinion, and I could be wrong. I hope you find an acceptable solution that allows you to safely keep your firearm.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Personally, I would put a lock on it and lock it away in a safe in an inaccessibly place, and "lose the key". That way if you ever DID have to use it, it would be available in a short span of time. Or if things didn't work out with your girl, you wouldn't be kicking yourself for getting rid of it. But I understand your concern.

Your best bet is to visit local shops, gun shows, or try the Want To Sell forum.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I would think the oppisite, this is even MORE of a reason for protection!! If its just the money, I am sure something could be worked out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with the comments above. At 8 is when I learned about gun safety. Grew up thinking they were fun toys, and then my stepdad took me out to teach me about guns by showing me what happens when a bullet hits something. I've respected firearms ever since.
If you still don't want to keep it at her house, and definitely want to sell it, make sure you post it here first or another firearms site. You'll get a much better price and know it's going to someone who will appreciate it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with the "don't sell" comments. Of course, you need to talk this over with your gilfriend, but having a gun in the home with does not have to be a huge issue.

Get a gun safe. If you're still unsure, get a cable lock (at least in CA, all XDs come with one standard). If you're still unsure, store the ammo and mags in a separate, locked container. Sure, as you get "safer", the accessibility in need diminishes, but since you're willing to sell, I would think that you'd be OK with a little less access.

At eight, the boy should be old enough to "handle" knowing about a gun in the home. This is actually a great opportunity to teach the kid about gun safety. This will not only keep in safe in your home, but in the rest of the world, where a firearm might be unsecured (e.g. friend's house, etc.). Also, allowing him to see/handle the weapon will help dispel a lot of his curiosity about guns, which will also make him safer overall.

Learn about the Eddie the Eagle program through the NRA. Basically, it boils down to four very gun-neutral instructions for kids upon finding a firearm:

1) Stop.
2) Don't touch.
3) Leave the area.
4) Tell a responsible adult.

Simple. Clear. Effective.

They have lots of materials to help convey the message (e.g. comic books, etc.).

If you do go with the above, make sure the boy is ready to keep a secret. You do not necessarily want friends, parents of friends, teachers, school nurses, school administrators etc. knowing that there is a gun the home.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have to add a BIG +1 to those who are encouraging you to keep the firearm and either lock it up or educate the boy about firearms - he's older than I was when I first learned to shoot and what firearms can do. Ideally, you ought to do both, actually. Get a cheep-o Wal Mart gun box for the top of a high dresser and keep the key on you so he can't get into it. But show him what it's all about - honestly, if this kid may someday be your step-son (and it sounds like there's a good chance of that) then this would be a GREAT chance to spend some time with him and "bond" (for lack of a better word). Can you imagine a better way to get to spend time with the youngster than getting to shoot while you do it?

As far as selling off the piece, the boards are the best way or advertise a private sale in your local paper/classified ad. Don't go to a gun dealer or pawn shop - they'll probably only give you 1/2 of what it's worth.

joe

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would keep the gun, I don't have kids but once I have them I think its even more reason to own a firearm. Like some have take safety measures!

1) Get a good safe, walmart has nice fireproff jobs starting at like 30 bucks (I have one i'll sell ya for $25 cause i need to upgrade)
2) When the guns loaded keep it holstered on your person, When you remove the firearm unload it and put it in the safe.
3) Teach the kid about firearms like some one said already!
4) Teach your g.f about firearms safety if you haven't already.

good luck!

-aaron.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I would keep the gun, I don't have kids but once I have them I think its even more reason to own a firearm. Like some have take safety measures!

1) Get a good safe, walmart has nice fireproff jobs starting at like 30 bucks (I have one i'll sell ya for $25 cause i need to upgrade)
2) When the guns loaded keep it holstered on your person, When you remove the firearm unload it and put it in the safe.
3) Teach the kid about firearms like some one said already!
4) Teach your g.f about firearms safety if you haven't already.

good luck!

-aaron.
Amen brother, and if you don't have money to buy a safe. Remove the slide and barrel, leave them in different parts of the house or put the barrel in the glove box of your vehicle, it has locks!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm agreeing with everyone else. Too many simple solutions to consider before selling it off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have a 5yo in the house and we have taken her to the range and she has handled all the guns unloaded and has fired my walther p22 and she has a cricket 22 rifle she shoots on a regular basis. Learning gun safety is so important.

Just think about if you sell your gun so the child is not exposed whos to say when he goes to his friends house they will not have guns or have guns that are not locked away or out of reach. If the child is exposed and knows the safety rules (someone quoted them before) than he is going to know how to respond and may not be curious about it since he had exposure.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
As much as I disagree with your gf, I understand you have to respect her opinions and make your best decision. You could have a buddy keep it for you so you can still enjoy your pistol at the range. If not, gun forums are probably your best bet. Dealers and pawn shops will have your ass for lunch.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I agree with most.....DON'T SELL IT!!!! I had to sell my measly two gun collection back in 2001 due to some health issues. I had a Beretta 92 and Charles Daly 1911. I never even got to shoot the 1911!!! Now I'm not saying that I wouldn't do the same thing again given the same circumstances. My wife's health was the #1 priority of course. Given your situation I would sure find any way to hang on to them. But man I sure do miss those guns and wish that I still had them.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I'm going to side with thejoe on this, and hope to be in your shoes soon enough (chasing one with a five year old).:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Wow, funny how we all think alike.:rolleyes:

Don't sell it.
Buy a small safe or field strip the pistol and store it.
I started teaching my kids gun saftey when they were younger than 8.
My daughter was helping me clean guns at 9 years old.
My son was shooting an SKS at 11.
Teach that boy gun saftey.
Take him to the range when he is ready.
Try to explain to your closed minded GF that it is better to take the mystery out of firearms and teach kids gun saftey while they are young.
It might save their life when they get older.
Try to take the GF to the range and show her how fun is it to shoot.
BUT, don't force her to go and don't make a big issue out of it.

Were you with her 6-7 months ago when you bought the gun?
If not, slow down Bro.

Is she making you get rid of pistol?
There a 1000s of us that own firearms and have kids at home.
Why should you have to give up something you like to do (pistol shooting), just to get some p##n?
Sorry to be harsh...........but it is what it is..........
Think about it.........:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
If safety for little ones is your concern, you might get a safe as others have suggested.

I've got one of these:

Buy DAC Technologies Sport Safe - Galco, Surefire, Streamlight, Uncle Mikes & Motorola Talkabout - Product Wizard

It has a 6-number combination. I can enter it in about a second and a half and it pops open, given me access to my pistol. If others are trying to guess the combination, it goes into security mode after 3 or 4 wrong attempts.

There's a neat feature in that the safe locks down to a plate which is secured to whatever; you can buy extra plates for circa $15 which means you could mount one in you car's trunk and move the safe there for a trip, for instance.

It's not watertight but it does what I want--keeps the pistol away from those who should not be able to handle it, and provides me with nearly instant access to it. It's got room for a pistol, some mags, a couple boxes of ammo. You could put two pistols in it, varying the amount of the other items. I took the little shelf out of mine for ease of access.

There are variations on this kind of thing, different safes of different sizes and features, but for the price, this one does what I want and need it to do. There are smaller ones that may fit your own situation better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts