Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been active since joining the Forum earlier this year.

I have an XD-9 Service, and I'm wishing it was the Tactical now. Can I just put a 5" slide on there and go?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i don't think so, but i'm not sure...where are you going to get the slide?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Oh heck...it's a perfect excuse to buy another gun!

I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 9mm, I guess I'm just not familiar with it. I like the slightly improved accuracy with the longer barrel. But, I find myself grabbing the XD most of the time. I can take it apart much more easily for cleaning. XD is just easier for me.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I think u can.... It works for the 45's.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
The frame for the Tactical and Service are identical so swapping slides is possible.

The problem is that you cannot buy just the slide.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You can swap out for the longer, Tactical slide assembly and it will drop right onto your Service...you just have to find one for sale which is no small task. I haven't seen just a tactical slide for sale...EVER.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can switch the slides. I checked with Springfield. However you will pay almost as much for just the slide from SA as a new gun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok some poeple might not find this to be a great idea but here you go, why not buy a conversion barrel from fire dragon? you can swap out your 4" for a 5 1/2" ported barrel, which its way more accurate that the tactical barrel gives you 1/2' more plus its ported, just a thought.

You can also get a coversion barrel, which will lower your 40 or 357 to a 9, which is more cheaper for target shooting, but you will need to get a new magz.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
ok some poeple might not find this to be a great idea but here you go, why not buy a conversion barrel from fire dragon? you can swap out your 4" for a 5 1/2" ported barrel, which its way more accurate that the tactical barrel gives you 1/2' more plus its ported, just a thought.

You can also get a coversion barrel, which will lower your 40 or 357 to a 9, which is more cheaper for target shooting, but you will need to get a new magz.
While you can swap an extended barrel (EFK, Bar-Sto, Jarvis, etc.) into your current service model...I question whether your accuracy with a 5+" barrel in a service will be "way more accurate" than a Tactical as guate suggests. It isn't just about the barrel length! It is about: 1) fit of the barrel to the slide; 2) longer sight radius; 3) better weight distribution and additional muzzle weight with a 5" barrel and slide; 4) less perceived recoil from a Tactical as opposed to a Service with an extended barrel. Having seen a Jarvis extended (5")/threaded barrel in an XD40 Service compared to my XD45 Tactical...the Service still is not as accurate. I know we are comparing apples and oranges between a 40 Service and a 45 Tac, but I just don't see how the numbers add up.

Also, if you are just going to get a little longer barrel for your Service, my suggestion would be to get a Match barrel from PistolGear threaded 1/2x28 and have a the Springer 3-port Compensator installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts