Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the mid-length that much better than the carbine? BCM has 16" Carbine Uppers in stock but everyone tells me to wait for the mid-length...talk me into or out of one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is what I found when I was researching the same thing... I went with a 14.5 carbine length.

"When talking about the different gas systems on a 16" barrel, think about the distance from the gas hole to the end of the barrel. The longer that the bullet is in the barrel after the bullet passes the gas hole, the more gas that is getting pushed back through the gas tube and back into the gas key. The end result is a sharper recoil impulse.

This is why on a 16" barrel, a mid-length gas system is slightly smoother than a carbine length gas system.
The distance from the gas hole to the end of the A2 flash hider on a 16" barrel with carbine-length gas system is approximatley 9.5".
The distance from the gas hole to the end of the A2 flash hider on a 20" barrel with rifle length gas system is approximatley 7.5"
The distance from the gas hole to the end of the A2 flash hider on a 16" barrel with mid-length gas system is approximatley 7.5"
The distance from the gas hole to the end of the A2 flash hider on a 14.5" barrel with carbine-length gas system is approximatley 7.5" "

full details found here...Carbine vs. Mid-Length Gas System on a 16" Barrel [2010-01-10] - 03DESIGNGROUP

·
Registered
942 Posts
i like the mid length just because the handgaurd has more room to grip and a longer sight radius.
But you could also put a rifle length handgaurd on a carbine length (mid also) and get a good sight radius as well.
I have been pondering this same thing but when im ready to buy it will probably be mid length.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info...I was thinking of doing the same thing 14.5 carbine but for some reason BCM doesn't offer them with a pinned brake like they do in the 14.5 mid-length...maybe I should give them a call

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
But you could also put a rifle length handgaurd on a carbine length (mid also) and get a good sight radius as well.
Yes, you can, but you have to use (or make) a low profile gas block that will fit under the forend rail, and use a rail mounted front sight, or redo the barrel to use an extra front sight. More discussion about that here: DIY Dissipator barrel from M4 carbine? - Calguns.net

There are a lot of guys who will argue the pro's and con's of either all day and I just don't care to this weekend, but when it all boils down to it, the mid-length has a longer sight radius and slightly reduced recoil.

The carbine has been in service for 40 years or so.

Edit to add: If you're in New Jersey, you won't be able to get a barrel with a flash hider, or pinned barrel. You'll have to get a 16 inch postban barrel that just has a barrel crown. You can thank your elected officials for that.

No collapsible stock, no threaded barrel that will accept a flash hider, no bayonet lug, low capacity magazines, etc.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Edit to add: If you're in New Jersey, you won't be able to get a barrel with a flash hider, or pinned barrel. You'll have to get a 16 inch postban barrel that just has a barrel crown. You can thank your elected officials for that.

No collapsible stock, no threaded barrel that will accept a flash hider, no bayonet lug, low capacity magazines, etc.
I realize there is not logic behind this, really, but a collapsible stock on an AR shortens it 6 inches (ballpark). Who in this day and age is actually going to use a bayo if they have a gun, and flash hiders, well you get the idea. there are some dumb laws.

back on topic...

i went with the carbine length because i knew i wanted to add rails, but attempt to keep weight at a minimum. honestly, people will argue this or that but get what you will utilize better. at the end of the day if you put it in the safe happy its all good.

here is a picture of mine. enough room to mount a light, sling swivel for my VCAS sling, and still be able to have room for my hand.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you can, but you have to use (or make) a low profile gas block that will fit under the forend rail, and use a rail mounted front sight, or redo the barrel to use an extra front sight. More discussion about that here: DIY Dissipator barrel from M4 carbine? - Calguns.net

There are a lot of guys who will argue the pro's and con's of either all day and I just don't care to this weekend, but when it all boils down to it, the mid-length has a longer sight radius and slightly reduced recoil.

The carbine has been in service for 40 years or so.

In Jersey you don't need a crowned barrel...you can have a muzzle brake pinned and welded on...just no flash hider

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize there is not logic behind this, really, but a collapsible stock on an AR shortens it 6 inches (ballpark). Who in this day and age is actually going to use a bayo if they have a gun, and flash hiders, well you get the idea. there are some dumb laws.

back on topic...

i went with the carbine length because i knew i wanted to add rails, but attempt to keep weight at a minimum. honestly, people will argue this or that but get what you will utilize better. at the end of the day if you put it in the safe happy its all good.

here is a picture of mine. enough room to mount a light, sling swivel for my VCAS sling, and still be able to have room for my hand.

You don't have to tell me how dumb the laws are...nice AR by the way...originally I wanted the carbine M4 but everyone keeps telling me to go with the midlength...it's tough making a decision haha

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
When I finally buy an AR, I'm planning on a mid-length. I like the looks better and the smoother operation is a nice benefit, too. Since it has the same over-all length as the carbine due to government regulations, why not stick with what I want?

Others can do what they want though. Makes no difference to me at all.

Carbine

Mid-Length

·
Registered
839 Posts
There's no point in me arguing the mid-vs-car issue but I will tell my personal thoughts. I have a carbine length RRA, my cousin has their mid and my father has a full Length Oly. I've spent time with all of them and see no major differences. Is there a difference? Yup but nothing that really stands out. Personally, i like my ar lightweight so that's why I picked a carbine. With a alloy quad rail the difference between my and my cousins ar's is big. He even noted it the second his picked mine up for the first time. I'm no expert but I like my car platform simply for the weight savings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need to be set straight. A carbine is 14.5, a mid-length is 16", and a rifle is 20"? Or does it have anything to do with barrel length?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Or does it have anything to do with barrel length?

what is being referred to is the gas port location on the barrel.

in order from shortest to longest (from the chamber)

pistol
carbine
midlength
rifle

·
Registered
19,743 Posts
this thread was 2 years in the grave and you resurrected it for something that a little better reading would have told you,.:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts